• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120cm - The Crypt Eternal (preview)

Re: 120cm, 370 litre preview

steveninaster said:
Tank looks great.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I really like the look of the Zambezi Gravel, I've had a look on the web and come up blank. Does anyone know where you source this from?
Steve
The Green Machine sell it, it'll benefit from a good wash but i suppose thats to be expected.

I'm loving the photos George, some of the finest i've seen on here. The 'scape is look great too :D

Ooh err, fantastic tank, George. I wanted to see the whole thing, so had a look round my local WhSmiths for the mag, no luck though. 0% PFK mags :(
Zambezi Gravel, as in Unipac? I bought the Limpopo gravel from TGM on the ADA scape day. Nice stuff, didn't need rinsing either :D

TDI-line said:
Lovely pics George, but always looks better in the flesh. :D
Thanks mate!

Cyworld said:
My very recently set up 5g is a non-co2 also and I plan to add crypts.
Does this mean that I have to have special plant substrates like ADA Aquasoil?
Would normal gravel with ADA multi bottom here and there work?
Are you using normal gravel or a plant nutrition gravel?

Thank you so much in reply. :D
Crypts tend to do better in nutrient-rich substrates but they aren't necessary if you dose the water regularly. Plain gravel with a nutrient-rich base layer is also fine, or a completely plain gravel with root tablets or capsules. In my experience so far, I've had best results with ADA Aqua Soil, after trying out many alternatives.

In this set-up I'm using ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia as a mound on top of ADA Power Sand Special. The 'open' area is plain Unipac Zambezi gravel with Tropica Capsules.

steveninaster said:
Tank looks great.
Thanks, Steve!

Dan Crawford said:
I'm loving the photos George, some of the finest i've seen on here. The 'scape is look great too :D
Thanks mate. That's some accolade... The standard on UKAPS, both 'scaping and photography, is growing all the time. I just wish I had more time for both art forms.

aaronnorth said:
those pictures are excellent, the deatial is amazing.
Thanks, Aaron.

john starkey said:
Hi George,this looks like one amanos low light setups,i think it was called red cryptos forest or something,looks stunning as usual,regards john.

Hi George,
now i have seen the article in pfk i can see it is nothing like i thought,
great scape well done
regards john.

john starkey said:
john starkey said:
Hi George,this looks like one amanos low light setups,i think it was called red cryptos forest or something,looks stunning as usual,regards john.

Hi George,
now i have seen the article in pfk i can see it is nothing like i thought,
great scape well done
regards john.
Thanks, John.

There's a few people that are surprised by the layout. This is a good thing, I think. To have one particular style suggests limitations from the outset. It's interesting that some photographers dread having a particular style. I guess the same can be said for aquascapers.

I've literally just pulled all the crypts up. I have some lucky recipients ready, before I get bombarded with PMs... :D

The tank will be stored in the garage for a few months - giving me plenty of time to conceive my next project....

Seems a shame to tear it down to me, George. I'd loved to have seen it age for another 6 months or so. Just like Jason Balibans "overgrown" tank.

I thought this was meant to be long-term, George? Was this just a 'tester' and the next scape in this tank will be a more long-term alternative?

I for one was surprised by the layout! I thought you would go with something similar to 'The Shade' or the Asian scape with the Peal Gourami that I can't remember the name of. It's definately good to have diversity - but I'm sure everyone will agree every one of your tanks still has the George Farmer stamp on it, whatever that may be. ;)

Superman said:
That's a shame it's been pulled apart already.
Where did you get the wood from? ;)

I may have seen that wood before ;)

Looks good George particularily the first shot, I will check out PFK for more.

Garuf said:
Seems a shame to tear it down to me, George. I'd loved to have seen it age for another 6 months or so. Just like Jason Balibans "overgrown" tank.
Me too. But the living room is being emptied for re-furb and it's unfeasible to set the tank up elsewhere in the meantime. I still have my nano and 60cm optiwhite though.

gratts said:
Looks great George :)
How many Botia striata are in there?
Thanks! There's 8 Botia striata. Awesome fish.

Superman said:
That's a shame it's been pulled apart already.
Where did you get the wood from? ;)
I know mate. Peter Kirwan gave me the wood.

Thomas McMillan said:
I thought this was meant to be long-term, George? Was this just a 'tester' and the next scape in this tank will be a more long-term alternative?

I for one was surprised by the layout! I thought you would go with something similar to 'The Shade' or the Asian scape with the Peal Gourami that I can't remember the name of. It's definately good to have diversity - but I'm sure everyone will agree every one of your tanks still has the George Farmer stamp on it, whatever that may be. ;)
I was planning on 18 months+ on this but, as mentioned, home improvements take priority...

Thanks, guys.

Shame, George.
If it were me I know home improvements would come second place. I'd have set the tank up in the garage if needs be! haha.
Glad to hear the nano and the optiwhites are still going, do you still have guppies in the nano? I'm thinking of getting some for mine and wondered if the low PH had any effect on them?

Garuf said:
Shame, George.
If it were me I know home improvements would come second place. I'd have set the tank up in the garage if needs be! haha.
Glad to hear the nano and the optiwhites are still going, do you still have guppies in the nano? I'm thinking of getting some for mine and wondered if the low PH had any effect on them?
I did actually consider the garage but it's still pretty cold and heating would be an issue/expensive.

Yes, fancy guppies in the nano. They're fine in whatever my pH is. I haven't tested it. I have hard tapwater and inert gravel, non-CO2, so guess it's around pH 7.5.

I suppose, especially in these financially rough times. Shame though, knowing your scaping abilities I reckon the new tank will be another turning point. Insulating out the garage would be cost prohibitive I imagine.

Ahhh, I thought you had aquasoil in the nano, no worries. I was told not to by the man in the pet shop here, something about their spines going "wavy" in low ph waters I don't know if it's routed in fact or fiction as the same guy also tried to sell me spider plant as variegated java fern. :rolleyes:

Back