• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120cm - The Crypt Eternal (preview)

George Farmer said:
BTW does anyone see BBA in the photos on page 1?

There does appear to be a very small amount around the edges of some of the leaves in picture 2, at least it looks that way to me
Although that may just be down to the power of suggestion from you having mentioned it lol

Joecoral said:
George Farmer said:
BTW does anyone see BBA in the photos on page 1?

There does appear to be a very small amount around the edges of some of the leaves in picture 2, at least it looks that way to me
Although that may just be down to the power of suggestion from you having mentioned it lol
Cool. It didn't see it myself, but can see you what mean now.

There was a couple of PFK forum members mentioning it, which is fair enough. I honestly didn't notice it myself! -

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/f ... hp?t=40464

If it is then I wouldn't be bothered by it too much. If it is then it's so minor.
I've seen damaged leaves susceptible to getting bits of BBA despite having good CO2.
I get the impression that because you've done so well with your tanks and the planted scene, some people may look for minor "errors". Kind of pathetic.
But that's just my opinion.
Keep up the good work.

Any chance of a full-tank shot and perhaps some plant ID's?

Fair enough! I always forget about C.Parva which stays very small, I'm beginning to really like crypt-only style tanks.

nry said:
Fair enough! I always forget about C.Parva which stays very small, I'm beginning to really like crypt-only style tanks.
Yeah, parva is a great little plant. Superb for a long-term layout as it's so slow.

I'll do another crypt-only one day. I learnt a lot from this layout. One of my personal favourites.

Perchance I might slowly move my current re-scape in that direction...we'll see :)

George Farmer said:
I've used all ten Cryptocoryne species available from the Tropica 2008 catalogue.

What do you think of C. undulata "broad leaf", George? I`m a big fan of the normal, narrower leafed version.

Apart from using C. parva in an earlier scape, I`ve never bothered with Crypts until now. I have only used four types in my 120cm, so I have some catching up to do.

Dave.

Only over the past few days have I truly appreciated the beauty of a bunch of crypts in my tank.
Before I'd just bunged them in to help with plant mass but am now starting to see how you can use them in a scape.
I removed a load of plants around a clump of parva and thats in full view, its superb! I mean, proper amazing.
Crypts are the future my friends.

Thanks, guys.

Yes, crypts are wonderful plants for long-term layouts. They're also suitable for beginners who want plants that are low-light tolerant. It teaches patience too.

There's something really oldy-worldy about their colours and form. The browny-greens aren't to everyone's taste, with a lot of people preferring higher-impact open-styles or colourful stems, but each to their own.

When I eventually have another big tank you can almost guarantee crypts will dominate.

Dave Spencer said:
What do you think of C. undulata "broad leaf", George?
Massive! It grew up to 35cm+ tall in here, and 3cm wide leaves at their widest points. Started off green then went a reddy-brown, with a deep red on the underside of the leaves.

Hi George, I really like this scape which is attractive both visually and from the low maintentance aspect. I would like to try something similar for my first venture into a planted tank, with my Osaka 103cm x 43cm x 60cm, how many plants would you suggest I might need? I dont have anyone to take care of dosing Easycarbo while away for the odd week, so would it be a good idea to run a CO² setup?

Hi Mark

Sorry, I've missed this somehow...

I'd recommend buying as many pots as you can afford when starting out. 20-30 pots or so for your size tank, and split them up into as many plantlets as you can.

CO2 isn't necessary at all if you keep lighting low. Minimise water changes too if you take the non-CO2/Easycarbo route.

Back