• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

125l - 'on the edge'

Re: new scape attempts

just thinking about giving the scape a bit of height at the back/back right

ok, I'm going for this hardscape(or at least similar), I'd be interested in your thoughts on the planting

3666491308_2afd46ce1d.jpg

central - Bolbitis heudelotii & Microsorum pteropus `Narrow`
behind - Ceratopteris thalictroides
to the right - Blyxa Japonica
running between rocks towards the front - Hydrocotyle verticillata
under rock over hang - Cryptocoryne x willisii
forground - Echinodorus tenellus & Eleocharis acicularis

how does that sound? I've struggled with e-tenellus before but I'm hoping the AS substrate will help

ok having second thoughts about the background Ceratopteris thalictroides I think it might be too similar to the bolbitis, what do you think? or any suggestions as to what I could put at the back.

central - Bolbitis heudelotii & Microsorum pteropus (not narrow)
behind - ????
to the right back - Blyxa Japonica
running between rocks towards the front - Hydrocotyle verticillata
forground - Echinodorus tenellus with Eleocharis acicularis hi-lighting the rocks/wood

after a couple of days, still a bit cloudy but getting there

central - Bolbitis heudelotii & Microsorum pteropus
behind - Hygrophila corymbosa `Siamensis` & Anubias barteri var. barteri
back right - Blyxa Japonica
back left - Cryptocoryne beckettii ``petchii
forground - Echinodorus tenellus with Eleocharis acicularis hi-lighting the rocks/wood[/quote]

3718351394_b8e73311b5.jpg

missing some wood which floated :rolleyes: any tips for getting stubborn floaty wood to sink?

Re: new scape attempts (now in tank with plants)

It looks nice.

The one thing I will say is that with all the time you have spent on deciding your hardscape, you may find that you will loose the rocks and a small part of your wood, which would be a shame considering the amount of time and thought you have put into it.

Long term, I would imagine that only the smallest tips of wood will be visible.
This is of course fine, and all is subjective. Often though, the hard scape is what sets the mood and structure of the aquascape. Careful thought of how plants will grow long term and their expected size and growth patterns is needed when planning a new aquascape.

Cheers.

Graeme Edwards said:
It looks nice.

The one thing I will say is that with all the time you have spent on deciding your hardscape, you may find that you will loose the rocks and a small part of your wood, which would be a shame considering the amount of time and thought you have put into it.

This is of course fine, and all is subjective. Often though, the hard scape is what sets the mood and structure of the aquascape. Careful thought of how plants will grow long term and their expected size and growth patterns is needed when planning a new aquascape.

Cheers.

thanks Graeme, I'm expecting quite a lot of the hardscape to be covered by the plants, but in my head at least, it is the suggestion of the hardscape that will create the mood. It will be interesting to see how it goes. is there a particular issue you can for see with the plant choice?

chump54 said:
Graeme Edwards said:
It looks nice.

Cheers.

thanks Graeme, I'm expecting quite a lot of the hardscape to be covered by the plants, but in my head at least, it is the suggestion of the hardscape that will create the mood. It will be interesting to see how it goes. is there a particular issue you can for see with the plant choice?

No mate, not at all, only the growth will cover much of your hardscape, but thats what you where expecting. All the plants and positions look great to me.

8)

thanks again Graeme, it'll be interesting to see how this turns out, my 2 other scapes were not really planed and evolved not really with a great deal of control either :rolleyes: with this one I've got a idea about what I'm aiming for... we'll see!

skinz180189 said:
When that grows out I can see it looking brilliant chump.
thanks skinz, I have to say that the photo does make it feel quite flat at the mo, so hopefully my photography will improve and as the plants fill out I can create a sense of light and shadow...

ok, an update.

I'm happy with the amount of growth but the water is not as clear as I'd like, but I'm sure it will be at some point :)

3762834911_45c0a01b0f.jpg

3763628038_cdf83d331c.jpg

do you think I should trim the e tenellus along the front? or is it a bit early, only been 2 weeks? or should I have already?

cheers

Chris

It's looking great! You've got off to an excellent start.

I haven't kept Tenellus before, but if my memory isn't too rusty - it's best to trim it and be aggressive with it to promote good new growth from early on.

Hope that helps. :)

Hi Chump

This tank looks really nice - I was wondering what the wood was in the 'dry' pics as it looked so black, but now its under water and has its redness back I guess its redmoor ?

I've been told that if you trim the E Tennelus at this stage it will grow back shorter (say 60mm) and redder, where as if you leave it be it will stay greener and longer - this is what I've done and some of mine is 150mm.

Keep us posted :D

Tony

thanks guys,

how short should i trim the tenellus do you think? I found a thread that Saintly talks about trimming his but I'm not sure how low to go (are you there Saintly :) ). I'm thinking about 2cm??? I think 150mm would be too much at the front.

Tonser, the wood is (dead) Heather, found locally. it was very black when I first soaked it, but when I put it in the previous tank, the bark seemed to be rotting and was growing some nice BBA. Its a shame I liked the blackness, but I scrubbed it with a wire brush and it's gone a nice red (but not as nice as the black). I think removing the bark was the safest option.

Chris

quick update

3920305609_9d227d82a0_b.jpg

removed the reflectors... not sure if that is the right thing to do, but I feel more in control and the odd bit of BBA I was getting has not returned... (although there is the odd bit still to deal with)

oh and trimming the e-tennelus worked a treat it has stayed really low, thanks all who suggested it

oooops, sorry matey.

chump54 said:
how short should i trim the tenellus do you think? I found a thread that Saintly talks about trimming his but I'm not sure how low to go (are you there Saintly :)

looks like you did good. tenellus is a tough cooky to kill. trim it down to about 1 cm, and it will come back shorter. trimming also stuns it's progress though. with a foreground like yours, maybe wait long periods before touching it. i trimmed once in autumn blush, and that was all it required. but then i wanted it to stay in one place rather than the carpet look.

it's a real nice layout youve got going. :thumbup:

added an UP co2 inline atomiser, while it does give the tank a fizzy feel. it has improved my plant growth in only a few days. plants are pearling after an hour or so. and e tenellus is growing much better :thumbup:

4090994454_b3066a84a8_b.jpg

4091002544_dc09b3f196_b.jpg

I'm not liking the right hand side, where the blyxa is, not the right colour or leaf shape.

Back