• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

125L - The Re-Scape

84Reasons

So I've had my tank going since the start of the year. I didn't know much about growing aquatics plants or aquascaping, so recently I've decieded to do a re-scape, this is the journal for that.

The gear;

Lights: 2x 24w T5 bulbs w/reflectors
Filter: Fluval 206 at full rate
Tank: Hugo Kamishi Manzoku, 80cm x W35cm x H53cm
CO2: Pressurised CO2 at roughly 3bps, 2 hours to green at lights on
Substrate: 2x 9L Tropica Aquarium Soil, 1x 3L Tropica Aquarium Soil Powder
Fertiliser: 5ml TNC Complete Daily (may raise to 10ml)
Flora: Heteranthera Zosterifolia x1 (back left), Rotala Green x2 (back left/middle), Rotala Orange Juice x2 (back left/middle), Ludwigia Repens Rubin x1 (back middle), Rotala Vietnam H'ra x2 (midground), Taxiphyllum barbieri x1 (hardscape), Anubias Nana x1 (hardscape), Anubias Petite x2 (hardscape), Microsorum pteropus Trident x2 (hardscape), Microsorum Pteropus AKA Java Fern x1 (hardscape), Bucephalandra Biblis x1 (hardscape), Hygrophila pinnatifida x2 (hardscape), Staurogyne Repens x1 (foreground), Rotala Bonsai x1 (foreground), Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green x2(foreground), Cryptocoryne Lucens x1(foreground), Eleocharis acicularis Mini x3 (carpet), Micranthemum Monte Carlo x2 (carpet)
Fauna: 1x Crowntail Betta, 16x Neon Tetra, 6x Threadfin Rainbows, 6x Rummynose Tetra, 6x Harlequin Rasboras, 3x Dwarf Catfish, 3x Albino Cherry Barbs, 9x Amano Shrimp, 3x Crystal Red Shrimp & 3 SAE's (may have to remove these they are getting big)

Here is what my tank is looking like at the moment:
LRM_EXPORT_70425999294891_20190905_221505701.jpeg

Here is what I have at the moment as far as the hardscape goes:
Inked20190903_144558_LI.jpg

I've got more redmoor on order, so will be using this to branch over the rocks I think, I still have some dragon stone left over so will add that if it's needed.

Looking forward to updating this! Cheers, H.

I have a solid black background on at the moment, its showing bubbles however, and so I think when I do the re-scape I'll remove it, not sure if I should put another one on, and also not sure how to remove the seaview glue on the back. Will have to see!

This is nice, great positioning. Looking forward to seeing this come together. What rock and wood you using?

This is nice, great positioning. Looking forward to seeing this come together. What rock and wood you using?

Thank you! Wood is Redmoor, and rocks are Dragon Stone. Both from AG. Saw the dragon stone a while back and knew when the time came for a re-scape I had to get it!

I got a background on my new tank just to start with until the planting is all done. Just there to help the tank look full for now.

I got a background on my new tank just to start with until the planting is all done. Just there to help the tank look full for now.
Mines already on but it seems to be coming away, I'll either try to keep it on or just take it off, I think it'll look bad without it on but I can't be bothered to put another one on.

Update.
Got my last pieces of wood the other day, put them together to form what I'd imagine is going to be the final product, may change on the day however.
Re-scape is planned for either this Friday (13th) or Saturday (14th), going to order the plants Thursday!
Plant list is largely the same, removed the monte carlo and just going with the mini hairgrass as the carpet however, and took the anubias out and just kept the petite versions, I think I'll have enough hardscape plants without it, can always add more.
LRM_EXPORT_9262219777451_20190909_092015719.jpeg

Plants are ordered. Everything should be arriving Friday (13th), depending on when they come I could be doing the re-scape that day!

Looking forward to it.

So after a very long Friday (started the scape after work...) I'm done!
See below for the FTS upon flooding. I also have posted some progress photos below that of me actually doing the scape.
Really happy with it! Very hard work netting the fish in and out but got there in the end.
The Oase foam stuff was great in holding everything down however I found it really hard to work with, a small press and loads of it comes out! gets everywhere ... Once I got the big pieces down I stopped using it.
Only issue I may have in the future is the back left corner may be a dead spot for co2, not sure how I'll get it there ...

LRM_EXPORT_40257890399624_20190914_120114048.jpeg

20190913_162741.jpg

20190913_162745.jpg

20190913_162749.jpg

20190913_175947.jpg

20190913_181150.jpg

20190913_191042.jpg

20190913_194321.jpg

20190913_194325.jpg

20190913_194329.jpg

20190913_204524.jpg

20190913_204527.jpg

20190913_204530.jpg

20190914_170139.jpg

20190914_170419.jpg

20190914_170423.jpg

20190914_170714.jpg

The Oase foam stuff was great in holding everything down however I found it really hard to work with, a small press and loads of it comes out! gets everywhere
You do need to be careful with it but i found you do get used to using it and can predict how much will come out with each press it holds so firl and quickly
Cant see the pics by the way

You do need to be careful with it but i found you do get used to using it and can predict how much will come out with each press it holds so firl and quickly
It did work great and held everything down but it got to a stage where loads had came out the end and then it squires the tube off itself and then sealed over itself so I couldn't use it anymore ... Great stuff though!

I didnt have that problem but did keep cleaning the end with kitchen roll after every use to keep it clean i do agree it is best for the bigger peices of hardscape
Scape looks really good by the way if i was you id use a bit of gel super glue to stick some plants over the lil bits of foam you can see moss Anubias and duches are best for this

I didnt have that problem but did keep cleaning the end with kitchen roll after every use to keep it clean i do agree it is best for the bigger peices of hardscape
Scape looks really good by the way if i was you id use a bit of gel super glue to stick some plants over the lil bits of foam you can see moss Anubias and duches are best for this
Yeah I tried that but to no avail haha ..

Thanks bro! I think I may have to, it's a good idea tbh. I tried putting a couple stones in front of one that helped but there still more! Might grab some moss.

I think I may buy some crypts in the future as the back left corner looks like a co2 dead spot and I reckon the plants will die so I'll bang the crpyts there .

I dont think it will be once it disolves into the water it shoukd be fine put your drop checker in that corner see what happens

Well done :clap:

And so lucky to have Tropica Denmark 1-2-Grow plants (Tropica North America needs some lessons :()

Only issue I may have in the future is the back left corner may be a dead spot for co2,
I suggest splitting your intake/outtake so they are not adjacent (I know this is very much in vogue these days but it is not the most efficient for flow) - place the intake in that back corner and the outflow at front of tank on that side and see how it goes

Well done :clap:

And so lucky to have Tropica Denmark 1-2-Grow plants (Tropica North America needs some lessons :()

I suggest splitting your intake/outtake so they are not adjacent (I know this is very much in vogue these days but it is not the most efficient for flow) - place the intake in that back corner and the outflow at front of tank on that side and see how it goes
Everything was ordered from aquarium gardens, really great guys and great plants! Been to see them when I set up my dad's tank but just ordered online this time.

I've put the drop checker there as Jayefc1 said, and happy to report it's coming up lime green as it does in the rest of the tank so looks like maybe I was wrong about it being a dead spot!

Although that sounds like a good idea, I don't think the intake would fit at that back left corner as I have the soil sloping up quite high, I think that's probably the only place it can't go! :(

Back