• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

125L - The Re-Scape

Another trimming question, this below is about a week of growth on the carpet, I planted it quite densely and in bigger clumps as I over estimated the amount I'd need, reckon it needs a trim to convince it to grown horizontally more or should I let it grow in?
20190922_161321.jpg

Yeah i always find it dont respond to well to.being trimmed for a few weeks mine always turned a funny yelloish colour and stopped growing after i trimmed it too soon

Yeah i always find it dont respond to well to.being trimmed for a few weeks mine always turned a funny yelloish colour and stopped growing after i trimmed it too soon
Yeah I thought so, just worried as some of them seem to be growing quite high but I'd imagine it'll start looking how I want it a few weeks after the first trim, after its had time to grow in. Cheers Jay

Asking the age old question again, should I trim it? I feel like it's getting a bit while now and could itdo with tbh. At least the rotala!

Attachments

• 20190925_193001.jpg
    20190925_193001.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 159
It really is your choice they have had good growth and you want to so go fot it either way it wont hurt them just trim the larger cut stems to the sam size as the stems you leave in and replant i think you will be happy with the end results

It really is your choice they have had good growth and you want to so go fot it either way it wont hurt them just trim the larger cut stems to the sam size as the stems you leave in and replant i think you will be happy with the end results
Hmm okay that sounds like a good idea, just worried as I put a lot of effort into this scape want to make sure it turns out perfect!

Given the 53cm tank height, make sure you’ve got High Output T5 (HOT5) and the best reflectors - you may find that some plants do better in your tank than others, eg, Rotala Vietnam H’ra seems to bolt less in lower light than does Rotala rotundifolia (which is likely the fastest growing Rotala so a good start up plant)
The H’ra is also slower growing, it may take a few weeks to establish, then you’ll see faster growth

Felipe Oliveira plays with water column fertilizers to slow his stem plant growth (he discusses this in his home tank video, also mentions a little in the recent AG workshop video) so you might look at this method

What is your H zosterfolia doing?

Given the 53cm tank height, make sure you’ve got High Output T5 (HOT5) and the best reflectors - you may find that some plants do better in your tank than others, eg, Rotala Vietnam H’ra seems to bolt less in lower light than does Rotala rotundifolia (which is likely the fastest growing Rotala so a good start up plant)
The H’ra is also slower growing, it may take a few weeks to establish, then you’ll see faster growth

Felipe Oliveira plays with water column fertilizers to slow his stem plant growth (he discusses this in his home tank video, also mentions a little in the recent AG workshop video) so you might look at this method

What is your H zosterfolia doing?
I've got the best T5s I can get in my fixture, 24W, and I've had reflectors in from the start too. Are these that you are mentioning any better than this?
Yeah I've noticed my hra is quite slow growing, it seems to be thinning its leaves quite well though. How does he do this? I'm definitely not overdosing them.
Yeah it's doing great actually, would have to get a picture for you later but it's doing well and has strong growth, doesn't quite match the rotala but still!

After only 13 days???

Of course, better doing it now to avoid shadow zone on the base of the plants.

Don't worry plants recover quickly, just do the WC right After the trimming to avoid Big release of sugar from trimmed plants than Can lead to minor algae issues. ;)

Of course, better doing it now to avoid shadow zone on the base of the plants.

Don't worry plants recover quickly, just do the WC right After the trimming to avoid Big release of sugar from trimmed plants than Can lead to minor algae issues. ;)

Good plan. Think I'll do this tonight with my 2nd of my 3 weekly water changes. Be nice to know it's gonna come back with bushy growth!

Big trim today!
Little update with some photos
Pre trim
20190926_175848.jpg

Post trim
20190926_190937.jpg

Everything seems to be doing great. In hindsight I reckon I could have gone a little lower with the trim but this is only the first one! H zosterfolia looks great but at the same time has a little bit of melt here and there. Looks better than it did before know with more dense planting, hopefully look better in the future.
Couple more random photos
20190926_191001.jpg
20190926_190949.jpg
20190926_190834.jpg

Bit of an update.
Roatala h'ra seems to be struggling, I think because of my light, I just need it to get a little bit bigger then hopefully give it a trim it'll recover from! Hopefully you can see it in this photo.
20191001_182906.jpg

Other than that strong growth everywhere, hoping to give the mini hairgrass a trim this weekend!
20191001_182917.jpg
20191001_182912.jpg

That photo was actually rubbish for seeing the height on the rotala. Should be able to see from this photo how little it's grown, also how much taller it is closer to the light ....
20191001_183237.jpg

Hi, I wouldn't trim mini hairgrass for now, it still needs to spreads and get better color, it doesn't like trimming, looks Bad when trimmed and sometimes hard to recover. Just wait until the carpet is full. :)

Stems looks OK to me

Back