• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
When you get bored with it I could make a nice didgeridoo out of that:)

Ive seen your didgeridoos are you sire its big enough :)

You have proper wood.

Where from mate?
Yeah Just hope I can find some smaller pieces to go with what I have planned.

It was an ebay steal mate... youd never guess how much?????

When you get bored with it I could make a nice didgeridoo out of that Ive seen your didgeridoos are you sire its big enough
I have little didgeridoos too.. no honestly that piece of wood has got me thinking just how cool a piece of petrified wood didge would be.

Yep, I agree with George! You need a crew on this one!

In all seriousness, this will be awesome mate...next time I'm up your way, I'll have to pop in.

I wonder... has anyone's tank ever been "wood burgled" before !? Its a cracking bit of wood and the fact you got it cheap makes it even more sweet :)

Why not just call it "Alistair's Big One" :wideyed:

Just being a bit nerdy, but I dont get close enough to 1400 with the dimensions you posted, do you actually mean it is meant to be 200 cm long and not 180, 20cm makes quite a volume difference at these size of aquariums.

BTW what happened to the blue eyes?

Filtration: 3 eheim 2080s with tmc glass lily pipes and possibly a powerhead.

If you have not already got these, keep an eye out on Ebay, I got a 2180 for £200 unused. BTW are you looking at three for turnover, filtration wise two is easily enough, but I understand if it is for flow and you want to minimise on Powerheads.

Why not just call it "Alistair's Big One" :wideyed:

Just being a bit nerdy, but I dont get close enough to 1400 with the dimensions you posted, do you actually mean it is meant to be 200 cm long and not 180, 20cm makes quite a volume difference at these size of aquariums.

BTW what happened to the blue eyes?
I thought of that but sounds a bit wrong or inappropriate ha ha

I worked the volume out to be 1360 litres?? Or have I worked that out wrong? Its definitely 180cm long.
The little blue eye had gotten spooked at night and I couldnt find him for a day or two and spotted him down the back of the tank. That's the only diwnside to braceless. Since ive put acrylic over the corners ive had zero jumpers and with the new tank being braced too that will hopefully stop any too. If you ever have any spare sanj ill buy some once the big tanks established??????

Alistair's Big Chocolatey One! .. erm, eww, no maybe not.
lol maybe not.

If you have not already got these, keep an eye out on Ebay, I got a 2180 for £200 unused. BTW are you looking at three for turnover, filtration wise two is easily enough, but I understand if it is for flow and you want to minimise on Powerheads.

The 3rd was more for flow mate. I agree 2 would easily be enough but I dont want powerheads in the tank. Ive been looking for a 2180 but havent found one at anywhere near that price and buying the heated version second hand can be a bit of a risk if its not from anyone I know. I read your journal and saw you had been using 2 hydor externals, are these gone now with you using the thermo heater????

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I do use the Hydors, but one on the big tank and the other heater being the 500w in the 2180, house is on thermostat at 21 the tank 22, but the actual temp in the house is usually sufficient except in winter. I think your tank needs to be significantly warmer than that for the gouramis?

I have the other Hydor on a TMC tank, which is really a rainbowfish overflow tank... just not enough room!

I lost all my adult blue eyes over summer, I have young ones growing, so I need to seperate and breed from them when older.

I can't wait to see this bad boy get going... I just know it's going to be one to watch... Maybe you should get PFK to do a feature? Also I've been thinking Alastair... I really think you should do a tank warming party for us UKAPS folk once it's up and running :) I'd really like to see this.

Maybe look at Grunfoss central heating pumps with the plastic aquarium conversion kits = the three speed versions are great & absolutely silent.
Aqua-Turn 3 speed Grundfos Pump conversion for DIY Koi Ponds and water features | eBay
Cheers mate im looking into the possibility of rigging one of those up. Going to have a look at total cost etc over the weekend.

I so envy you.. so the tank is acrylic right? :)

One day, when I am big, I would like to have a tank like this.. :)

Ha ha cheers luis. Nothing stopping you now your out there mate. You could have one in your back garden as big as you wanted.
Its not in acrylic this one. Ill save acrylic until I go huge in a few years.

I do use the Hydors, but one on the big tank and the other heater being the 500w in the 2180, house is on thermostat at 21 the tank 22, but the actual temp in the house is usually sufficient except in winter. I think your tank needs to be significantly warmer than that for the gouramis?

I have the other Hydor on a TMC tank, which is really a rainbowfish overflow tank... just not enough room!

I lost all my adult blue eyes over summer, I have young ones growing, so I need to seperate and breed from them when older.
Yes mate im keeping my tank at 24.5 to 25 at the moment. I dont know how much that will change over winter especially with such a big tank. I currently have a few eiheim jagers 300w spare which are huge and rated for big tanks so ill use those until ive looked at foxfish idea.

The way I calculate gross volume: L(cm)xW(cm)xH(cm)/1000 = gross volume in litres. So I get 1,260 litres. Mine is 1,588 litres but I just rounded.

I worked it out at 1380 litres mate using that method. 180x110x70. Im sure its that size ive ordered or maybe its 100 front to back. Ill have to check the invoice. If its 1260 ill change my title to 1300 litre.

When youve grown some of the blue eyes up will you let me know??? What happened to the adults???

I can't wait to see this bad boy get going... I just know it's going to be one to watch... Maybe you should get PFK to do a feature? Also I've been thinking Alastair... I really think you should do a tank warming party for us UKAPS folk once it's up and running :) I'd really like to see this.

Hope I can make it look half as good as what everyones expecting mate. Got some pressure on now lol. Although ill have a bit of help scaping it up and planting ;)

Perfect idea mate ill gladly invite some of the ukaps possy over for a tank warming party. Thats a definite Gary. Im sure I can squeeze a few in along with the tank :)

Back