• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

13mm compared to 17mm flow

Becksy

There is obviously a reason for the 13 and 17mm Lilly pipes and inlet pipes with appropriate tubing to match set up. I like the look of the smaller so my question is, is there much or a significant increase in flow of water with the 17mm over the 13mm set up to consider the bigger version. I have a 60p tank and and 350 bio master filter.
many thanks
David.

hypnogogia

I think that filter comes with 16/22 tubes. If you were to replace them with 12/16, you’d reduce flow considerably. The 350 has a flow rate of 1100l/h which will be reduced by filter media anyway, so I wouldn’t reduce flow any more with smaller tubes.

Djoko Sauza

I'm like you and much prefer smaller lily pipes. On my high tech 60cm I used 13mm tubing and a poppy style lily pipe with a Oase 250. While it may have reduced the flow, it ran without issues and I had great plant growth.
It ultimately depends on the amount of flow you think is necessary.
As a bonus my green neon tetras displayed more natural behaviour because they didn't have to fight the current the whole time.