14L nano - 18w, or 35w ?

Tony Swinney

Evening all

I'm putting together my 14l nano tank, and have a choice of lights. Visually I much prefer the desklight in the picture below, which is a 35w tungsten bulb. I'm guessing this is too powerful for the tank, and perhaps too warm in colour temp too (does that make a difference to growth ?) but I really like the way it 'floats' above the tank. My alternative is a Superfish Aquacube 18w tube, which has a cooler col temp but clamps on to the top of the tank, so doesnt look as neat.

I know the 2wpg rule doesnt really apply to nano tanks, but will the 35w cause me algae issues - that'll be over 8wpg !

Substrate is EcoComplete, CO2 is FE injfection, Ferts are TPN+ tabs and liquid, planting will be HC, P Helferi and Eleocharis Acicularis.

Thanks

Tony
NanoRouge_7.jpg

hellohefalump

I have 22 watts running over my 12 litre tank, with no real problems. Plus it has a huge rock in it that's displacing a lot of water.

You could try the 35w but keep the photoperiod short?

I'm no expert though, see what other people say.

I like your hardscape.

Tony Swinney

Hi hellohefalump

Thanks for your thoughts. I've been running the tank with the 18w Superfish light since Wednesday, but I might try the 35w in a few weeks once it all gets a bit more established.

Tony

Superman

Tonser said:
Hi hellohefalump

Thanks for your thoughts. I've been running the tank with the 18w Superfish light since Wednesday, but I might try the 35w in a few weeks once it all gets a bit more established.

Tony

I'm trying to find a superfish light as I don't like the colour output by the arcadia arcpod as it's rather purple ish.

Anyone know anywhere to get them? I couldn't find them on ebay.