• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

15 ppm co2 goal

Fred13

Hello!

In my upcoming tank I am going to inject co2 but in a different way from what I have used to do.
Low to med lightning intensity, lean dosing (aio divided per day) and only easy (maybe few med) plants. I will limit some elements to reduce maintenance and make this a little bit slower and budget-friendly in the long run. That would be great because I lack free time and I want a larger window of error.
That being said, I will aim for a stable co2 injection of 15 ppm instead of the usual 30ppm.
Since it's the first time that I am doing this, I need any useful advice about things that I should be careful of.

ps. The tank will be moderately planted up to 60%.

Thank you in advance,
Fred

Hi Fred. Unfortunately I can't offer any personal experience but I'd expect fine tuning 15ppm to face exactly the same challenges as 30ppm. My understanding is that the most important thing is to avoid CO2 fluctuations. You don't want to get the plants too excited at the beginning of photo period just to deprive them of co2 few moments later. I hope you'll create a journal for that tank, I'd be very interested to follow that project. Good luck!

You will have more problems with less CO2 than you would with a higher amount. Personally I think I would just keep the light low and the CO2 high. Slow growing or not, now your only limiting factor is the light.

I totally agree with Mr Shenanagins. My 50l is currently running at 27.5 ppm and I'm perfectly happy with that. However, there are a few slightly darker areas in the corners of my tank and the slower growth is NOTICEABLE

Stable [CO2] from lights on till CO2 off is the key and good flow in tank, 15ppm CO2 is still better than no CO2, just be careful with light intensity, any pinpoint pearling leading to pinholes on leaves is fist sign of too intense light for [CO2] or inadequate flow.

Many folk have successful tanks with less than 30ppm CO2

Back