• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

15 UK Gallon rescape journal

You know how to get rid of surface scum? Hoover it off...

DONT DO IT WITH A NORMAL HOOVER THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guys at TGM used an industrial hoover and just hoovered the top of the water to get off all the little trimmings of plants and scum!

OR just raise your lily pipe occasionally at night time and it dissipates.

I find the scum arrives when CO2 is working well and I tend to just fishnet some off and the rest then dissapears for some reason.

Andy

Lisa_Perry75 said:
You know how to get rid of surface scum? Hoover it off...

DONT DO IT WITH A NORMAL HOOVER THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guys at TGM used an industrial hoover and just hoovered the top of the water to get off all the little trimmings of plants and scum!

I nearly missed the bottom bit there and got myself really puzzled for one moment. Then I reread the post and found the bottom part of it. That's cheeky of you lisa. Someone could have sue you for a broken hoover. :p

I find I get surface scum when I need to do a water change, it's normally a new tank thing like diatoms as far as I understand but I've never really been able to shake it, nor have I ever really been able to stay algae free until now though.

Ok, almost a year since the last post!

Current state of play:

13apr2009.jpg

Last night saw the beginnings of a re-scape using the existing hardscape. Masses of lilaeopsis brasiliensis ripped out fro the rear-left, and earlier this year loads ripped out from the rest of the substrate. Seems to do very well for me and the size suits a smaller tank.

General plans - go for a mound-style layout, with the focus to the left 3rd of the tank leaving quite a bit of substrate bare. I have a fairly nice HC carpet going in the mid-front of the tank, which I may or may not keep.

The windelov is going to be thinned and moved forward\left next week, with some rotala wallichi going behind\slightly to the left of it as a centre piece to also give some planting height as well.

Crypt wendtii green and brown going around the base of the windelov mixed in with some anubias bonsai. I'd love to get the anubias growing along the lengths of the wood but there wasn't enough of it in stock at AE for that just yet. I'd perhaps need to get rid of the moss for that but unsure how to get rid of it permanently.

For now that's the plan...alongside constantly fighting against a randy group of shrimp who seem to breed and breed and breed! Need to pick up a group of oto's, the previous 6 lasted around 18 months then one-by-one died over a 2 month period.

Back