• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

155L Goldfish Cube

Nothing special, the maintenance post (second post) is up to date.
What worked so well for you?

Nothing special, the maintenance post (second post) is up to date.
What worked so well for you?

It grew like a weed in mine, I was using ADA Amazonia soil and dosing EI (on the light side looking back). Started off as a CO2 tank @2bps but the pic below was after 3 months with no co2 which I was surprised about

20181209_115558-1008x756.jpg

So, it’s been a while since my last post but thought I would resurface and update this journal with the latest info.

The tank, filter and diatoms remain the same but just about everything else has changed.

I think the smallest of the three fantails from the last photo has survived but the others sadly did not. It’s now accompanied by a telescope eye moor and seems pretty happy.

Lights have been replaced with a Fluval Aquasky. Using a custom low light setting for 12hrs a day.

No CO2 for now.

Think I need some fast growing plants.

Here’s a pic, would be great to see if anyone out there remembers this tank or if anyone fancies commenting on the setup. All comments are well received.

9B17335E-B295-44AF-827F-7297853C32D4.jpeg

Last edited:
Are the plants still potted to stop the goldfish digging them up? If they are then they will do much better planted with some root tabs under them. It can be hard for them to spread out of the rock wool.

It's a bit of a cliché but hornwort is a great plant for coldwater aquariums as it happily floats making it impossible for the goldfish to dig up. Elodea is another one that does the same as is water sprite. I like paraguay's hygrophila suggestion as well.

Thanks for the suggestions @PARAGUAY and @mort

I’ve added a few floating bunches of Elodea and Hornwort for now and will try planting the potted plants with root tabs at the next water change. I originally kept them potted so I could remove them and clean around them more easily. Happy to give anything a try :)

I might add some Hygrophila at the back if the fish leave the other plants alone - so far so good!

Already some signs of diatoms on the leaves so I reduced the photo period to 7am-3pm with a one hour ramp up and down.

I changed my mind about planting the C. Helferi in the gravel. Keeping this tank clean is going to rely on me being able to remove the hard scape in one piece and I don’t fancy trying to negotiate two fish and plants when I return it to the tank each time. Don’t worry though, the plants haven’t gone to waste, they’ve found a new home in my other tank.

Here’s the latest photo:
6438065C-5958-4090-9E23-64971255F702.jpeg

Tried increasing the light intensity from 40% but a couple of days later diatoms came back so I think I’ve found the upper limit for now. Might try increasing the duration instead.

I’ve adjusted the lights on half an hour earlier. I plan to do a water change this weekend and will have to clean the diatoms off the leaves manually.

Last edited:
Water change done, damaged leaves removed and diatoms cleaned off manually. Really wish I could find a way to get rid of them completely maybe the lighting tweaks will help. Dosed 15ml of TNC with a little extra Seachem Iron after reading a post on here somewhere that suggested the iron in TNC complete isn’t very effective in hard water. This was mainly due to the most recent leaf being much paler in colour to the others, which I understand can be a sign of low iron.
7E1DBD37-CD3B-4DF3-A4FC-86F004B9D3EA.jpeg

Last edited:
Back