• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

16/22mm max flow

basandnick

Seedling
Hi all. This is my first time posting as most of my questions tend to have been already answered by this knowledgeable forum.

However I can't seem to find any information on flow rates through 16/22mm hose.
One of my filters is an Eheim 2217 (rated - 1000lph, actual - alot less) and I'm planning on adding a 2215 (rated - 600Lph, actual - alot less). Instead of running a new supply from the tank would it be ok to tee the inlet hose of the 2215 into the 16/22mm inflow hose of the 2217? I'm worried the 16/22mm hose wouldn't be able to 'gulp' enough water to supply both filters.

Just out of curiosity what would be the effect of putting the output of the 2217 into the input of the 2215? (I've done this before using one as a slave but never with both running.)

Thanks. Nick.

Hi Nick

Frictional losses in flow rate will depend on the length of hose used as well as the diameter. There are formula to work out the exact amounts, but they're fairly complex and probably not as accurate as practical experiment.
I'd time how long it takes to fill a 3 gallon bucket and do the maths from there. As long as you place the buckets at the same head/height as the tank this should be fairly accurate.

Be aware that frictional losses on inlet hoses are only half the problem. If the hose is not reinforced and you try to draw to high a flow, the hose will suck flat allowing very little flow at all.

Cheers,
James

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Pumps are great at pushing, but not so good at pulling water. To maximise potential flow from a pump you want as few restrictions as possible before the pump (in the feed). Sharing a feed would not be a good idea IMO although Its possible that it could work without an upgrade. If the pump cant get enough water it will be inefficient, could have a reduced lifespan, and it could cause cavitation.

My understanding (i am prepared to be corrected on this lol) is that daisy chaining pumps will improve head pressure a bit, but not much else. If I was going to attempt it, I would use the smaller one, before the larger, but I dont think its worth bothering with. Do some experiments :thumbup:

Back