• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

16 gallon Rescape Journal

Hi Daniel, i love it mate personaly i like how it looks now,the only thing i would have done was to plant more heavily,take care john

I spoke to the guy you mentioned about the wood and he is keen to ship it abroad, it just remains to be seen how much it will all come to.
Your thread is usefull to me as i've just set up a high light tank and ive already noticed i need to drive the co2 way up, you're much further along than me so im glad i have a point of reference for my own tank, keep posting :)

Unfortunately I need to scrape the tank before it matures as I need to move into my new apartment. Most of the stem plants didn't survive the transfer very well as they were kinda neglect about 2 weeks prior to the transfer and has got covered in algae quite badly.

anyway decided to go to TGM and buy myself some happiness. Spent 40 quid in TGM and bought some quality plant and on my way back, thought I'll just check out the garden centre nearby and stumble across a nice little tropical plant section where they sell pogostemon helferi for £2.95 per pot! Grab myself all remainder 4 pots that is available there and then!

Just a few pictures of the plant before I plunge them in my tank.

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

As I was trimming the plants, I was shocked to find how much I've actually purchased! Ended up having to put 2 pots of pogostemon stellatus, 1 pot of java fern, 1 pot of HM and 2 big mother plant of limnophila in the spare planted tank to grow. The cutting from the main limnophila plant was enough to fill my tank up! There was so much plant that I can't find any space for the bogwood that was in the tank previously. After hitting myself in the head a few times, I decided to go with the jungle look and crammed the tank with plants and go totally high tech with the tank.

Tank spec :

Tank size : 24"x18"x12"
Substrate : 20kg of akadama approximately 4-5" in most of the place
Lighting : overtank luminaire by EQJ trading with 2 daylight bulb and 2 grow lux. Total wattage 96w running at 9 hours daily
CO2 : 3bps running on 10l CO2 tank with solenoid through rhinox 2000 diffuser straight into the external filter
Filtration : Tetra tec 1200 running at max lph
Ferilisation : EI dosing and water changes 50% every 2 weeks or every week if I'm free
No heater at the moment. Water heated to room temperature which is somewhere between 22-25 degree
Tank inhabitants : 3 otocinclus, 3 SAE
Plants list
1. Cryptocoryne Bullosa
2. Cryptocoryne Undulata
3. Cryptocoryne Balansae var crispatulata
4. Limnophila aromatica both emerge and submerge form
5. Pogostemon stellatus both emerge and submerge form
6. Pogostemon helferi
7. Glossotigma elatinoides
8. Java fern narrow leaves on bogwood
9. Rotala Najenshan
10. Ludwigia inclinata var verticillata var. panatal

This is what the tank look like on day 1. will need to make everything much more bushier by multiple trimmings.

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

If there is anyone thinking about saving bucks and purchase from the far east, I would say think twice. The plant I bought from the far east was posted in the earlier post in the blog. comparing the amount of money I spent there and the amount and quality of plant I get, there is no way that I will do that again.(well not unless tropica don't stock those plants) Tropica plants rocks!

Looks really really good, I'd advise you lower your lights though, 96w's is ALOT.
Can't wait to see it grown out.
Also, which garden centre did you look in?

Bridgemere garden world I think. I've been cranking up the CO2 and the ferts in the tank. It's been 2 weeks now the tank been up and running and not a single trace of algae, not even the GDA or GSA on the glass and that was even before the otos and SAE was added! The plant growth has been quite quick and the limnophila is nearly reaching the surface now. This is the first time I get to see some pearling in my tank. I'm still trying to get mine to pearl like Clive but so far only some of the plant pearls nicely.

Well I never...I've not been there in ages, I'll have to check it out!
It's nice when it all comes together isn't it? I think you'll be fine then as long as you keep everything super high.

Back