• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1600 Gallon 5 meters long planted behemoth

More pics:

roombehemoth.jpg

topofbehemoth1.jpg

resizedangels1.jpg

downoi3.jpg

Regards,
Tom Barr

Very nice work Tom,

Look absolutely stunning.

If you are coming to LA, CA sometime, I might be able to arrange something.
I hope to produce another tank like this at the LA Zoo sometime here.
Lots of BS and talk, but they are slow in public agencies like that.

The owner of this tank is on their Board of Trustees and they have started planning.
I do the later phases of the tank, but had more input on the Zoo aquarium than this one, I only did the scape, planting, tweaking, CO2, dosing etc and modifications to get this system running right.

If I get in at the start, then I can be much more effective less headache later.
But these are team efforts, not one person.

Many good folks helped on this.

Regards,
Tom Barr

plantbrain said:
If I get in at the start, then I can be much more effective less headache later.

I understand that! Much easier to avoid the issue from the off than to try and turn the clock back to undo them once they've happened!

Man I would love that tank in my house, though I doubt I'd be able to afford the house to put it in if I had a tank like that! If you see what i mean! :lol:

Sam

Well, if you have a layout that's different, I would not mind, but it would be a series of tanks all linked together, each flowing from one to the next. Each working it's way through the home.

Or around a central court yard that's open to the light above and garden outdoors(some where mild in climate, Say Portugal or southern CA).

Sort of headwaters in the mountains ........to the Sea....... and each habitat in between.
Nice terrestrial plants in between each system that match.

Each tank would be a good size for each biotope, but nothing massive like 300 gallon or more and each access, rimless and open.

Set up much like a zoo.

That would be cool.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Been following this tanks progress on aquaticquotoient.com. Seems funny to follow it here too now :D Absolutely stunning tank

As far as the house itself, I like some parts of the home(stone work, general layout).
I have no desire for a 17,000sqft+ home however, nor the location in Beverley Hills. Nor the landscaping.
But his brothers live near by...and his friends etc.

So it's home for him.

I'm more modest in my desires at home.
Even if I had the $, it would not go to this.

I'd have a nice forest with a nice small home tucked in between the woods, next to creek with a water fall.
Nice view of the valley below.

More along the FLW type of home:
http://www.wright-house.com/frank-lloyd ... orest.html

But near the Coast in the Redwoods maybe 1/2 hour drive from the Golden Gate bridge in Marin county.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Well, where I live has a lot to do with it, as well as some public Aquariums I saw this idea done very well.
I go from the tops of 4000 meter + peaks locally here to the sea, even below sea level in many cases.
Deserts to Rainforest. All in one day's drive. Not many places like that. West Coast here is about the only place I know of. Maybe some locations near the Alps, Some places in western South America.

Below sea level in the hottest(57C- gets about 52-54 C each summer) driest place(5cm a year of rain if that):

enciliafrombw.jpg

Deep in a rainforest:

smallfallsatPar1.jpg

About 3 meters of rain and fog a year

At the coast:
IMGP0495.jpg

At the top of the mountain:
resizededge.jpg

in the sea itself:

catidepool2.jpg

Hard not to appreciate nature here.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom, truely awesome scenery... I'm actually spending some time in the US in September, starting in San Francisco. I'm hopefully spending some time in Yosemite, and then Mono Lake to the east.

Got any recommendations around the SF/Monteray Bay areas? (Will be going to the Monteray Bay aquarium too!)

CA is big, about the same size as the UK. You'll feel at home in the northern coastal part(cool, foggy and wet).

Across the bay there is Muir Woods National monument, a small bit of the Redwoods, but it's close to SF.
Nothing like Redwood National park or the Avenue of the Giants up north. But you will still be in awe. I use to live not far and did cross country runs through the woods to the coast. Not a bad day.

Drive up to Mt Tam also from there. View is awesome. Then take the Fairfax Bolinas Rd to Fairfax from the top. Nice drive, great views.

See the Academy of Science, Eat out a lot too, great food.

If you go to Yosemite: Glacier point, take the drive over to Mono Lake using HYW 120. From there, you can go see the Bristlecone pine forest outside Bishop, about 2-3 hours from Mono lake. The back side of the sierras is really dramatic.

Also, see the Sequoia groves up in the mountains(Yosemite has a few, not as nice as Sequoia, but lots closer).
That's a week right there. Stop at local fruit stands as you drive around also. We got produce!

You can also drive down HYW 1 from SF to Monterey or up to the Sonoma Coast.
Either direction is awesome.
Check the tides and stop off and look at the macro algae in the tide pools.
Try Dungeness cracked crab if in season.

Also, the Monterey Bay Aquarium is an awesome place and location.
Make a day driving down there very early along the coast, hang out there.
Then drive a bit farther south(5-8 miles) to point Lobos State reserve.

You will not be disappointed:
Drive over MT Tam(I take this bike ride often)
drivingiorbikingMtTam.jpg

Pt Lobos tide pools

seagrassandredalgae2.jpg

loslobos22.jpg

Not a bad place to hang out.

Regards,
Tom Barr

are you married tom?....i can cook, wash, i dont nag, i'd put up with your tanks, i'd do water changes, dose the tanks, clean the windows, clean your car, rub your feet....anything just to live their! 8)

looks amazing!

saintly said:
are you married tom?....i can cook, wash, i dont nag, i'd put up with your tanks, i'd do water changes, dose the tanks, clean the windows, clean your car, rub your feet....anything just to live their! 8)

looks amazing!

I think i'll have to report this post..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

plantbrain said:
I go from the tops of 4000 meter + peaks locally here to the sea, even below sea level in many cases.
Deserts to Rainforest. All in one day's drive. Not many places like that. West Coast here is about the only place I know of. Maybe some locations near the Alps, Some places in western South America.

OH YES! Deserts, Rainforest+Jungle, Mountains... all within hours reach of each other. That is what I experienced in Peru (the Western South America you refer to) earlier this year. It was amazing. I am very excited to know that this is available in CA as well. I had no idea of that. I have now added California to my list of 'places to go to for a one month holiday' :)

saintly said:

looks amazing!

Sorry, I need someone to nag me, otherwise I do not get nothing done.
Only Quality Nag's need apply:)
Men would wonder around aimlessly, doing things like you might see me doing here:
img_0472.jpg

Doing 50km/h with trees going by............this is also where I collect the Manzanita wood.
and at the end of 30km and 1800 meters of decent later:

editdownie3.jpg

Then Pizza. Then we go back and do it again. Sane people don't do this.
Then there's snow boarding, Surfing and ATV's/Cyclocross.
Men are idiot's. Nag all ya want.
When we say "Till Death due us part", you realize we are actually setting a "goal". :D

Regards,
Tom Barr

Love the scenery but don't think my bike would appreciate the terrain there ;)
complete3.jpg

Best I stick to nice flat Lincolnshire me thinks :lol:

AC

Back