• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1ft Cube - Jungle Scape

Tank: 30cm Cube
lighting: 30cm Up Aqua LED light
Filter: Ehiem Aquacompact 40
Hardscape: Driftwood and seiryu stone
Substrate: ADA La Plata Big
Plants: Narrow leaf java fern, Java Fern Mini, Bolbitis, Anubias Nana, Anubias Nana Petite and maybe some Buce.

I recently pulled down my Marimo Hills scape and since I flooded my other 2 tanks I have been itching to put together something new, very early stages but I picked up a nice lump of wood to use as the main feature.

The hardscape still needs some work, need to break up some more seiryu stone to place around the wood a little more. Java Ferns will go at the back, Bolbitis back left and right, Nana left and right of the wood and Petite around the base of the wood / seiryu and hopefully position some buce on the wood.

Cube-08-09-2016.jpg

Planted this tank over the weekend with Java Fern, Mini Java Fern, Narrow Java Fern, Bolbitis, Anubias Nana, Anubias Nana Petite, Anubias Congensis and a few Marimo balls.

If I can get the plants at the back of the tank to grow into a thick jungle I will be happy!

Cube-12-09-2016.jpg

Looks great.
I'd put the wood not so parallel to the front glass, but with some angle, though.

Good tip, I didnt really think about putting the wood on an angle, this is my first time really trying low tech and using wood, its all new to me, I think I will let it sit and grow in a bit then perhaps try re-scape / improve on the layout.

Things are going well, hoping old filter media will cycle the tank, this is the first time I havent used ADA Aquasoil less things to worry about!

29070387554_2b4c118235_h.jpg30CM Cube - Low Tech Aquarium by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Last edited:
Low Tech is tricky, had to cut away a lot of dead fern leafs last night, cut the Bolbitis right back to the rhizome. Tempted to add injected co2 just to get more fresh growth but perhaps the low tech just needs time to turn around / adjust to the conditions.

30023853151_e0447746e6_k.jpg30cm Cube Aquarium by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Added some more marimo balls and a few more bits of narrow java

30389797162_4ec8cc0a91_b.jpg_MG_5903 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Growth can be increased considerably by supplying CO2, and is only optimal in soft, slightly acidic water.

If you're not adding CO2 & water is hard, alkaline etc, then patience ;)

Invasion of the Marimo :eek: :eek: :eek:

:D

Thanks I cut the Bolbitis right back as it was really melting, I can see new shoots... I have decided to exercise patiences and avoid using Co2 in this tank. I still have another 10 or so Marimos I could squeeze in but I think I am at the limit :p

wide angle shot give the cube more depth, this angle could look cool if / when the java ferns fill out a bit more

30721076811_c5530f5e68_b.jpg_MG_5931 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Low tech scape is doing its thing, I need to trim off some dead / dying fern leafs but generally I dont touch this one, the buce plants got blown around when i did the last wc but I just left them where they fell.

31539745144_579d8e4061_b.jpg
_MG_7288 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Back