• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1ft Cube - Jungle Scape

Hi, I would say the 30cm cube is perhaps a bit small for them, they are not very active in this tank, mainly hiding at the back in the java fern and occasionally swimming out the front looking for something to eat, not sure on the male / female ratio and no idea how many i still have, I do see spawning activity but not sure if they have bred successfully, never really seen any fry, I started with 10 small CPDs and at a guess still have about that many, could have probably lost some (never found dead fish), maybe they bred occasionally... I cant say if any have really bred, probably not, I think they would eat their own eggs, also the corys would eat the eggs if the found them.

They do chase each other occasionally but nothing any different from what I see fish do in bigger tanks

Yes still have a heap of Cherry shrimp in this tank, im sure some of the smaller shrimplets get picked off by the fish but overall the population is stable with some small juvies that survive and grow large enough to not get eaten

I have exactly same sized tank with 8 CPDs, betta and some random shrimps. I think boraras brigittae would be a better choice, but now that I have those CPDs I'll probably stick to them. I have 2 females and 6 males, they're breeding regularly, but the eggs are eaten. They were in the tank without a betta before and I never saw them, always hiding. Surprisingly betta works like a leader for them. Now they're swimming in the open space most of the time. Adult shrimps aren't bullied, but the slow growth of the colony suggests that most of the shrimp fry is eaten.

Cleaned the filter in the first time in awhile... tank actually has flow again! Decided to remove the fine filter floss as it was slowing the flow to much. Need vac the moss ball, they have collected so much junk along the glass.

40297699534_e68fc32bb4_c.jpg
IMG_1394
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Added 6 ember tetras to this tank today, moved them over from my 60p (my nephew took about 10 for his tank), they bring some life to the tank as the CPDs just hang at the back, still have 5 pygmy corys who are not fazed by anything or anyone, aways buzzing around, unsure how many CPDs are in the tank as they just hide and dash out to get food when feeding.

41693515841_3eb5b0796f_z.jpg
IMG_1870
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

This jungle will make the ember happy!

Cpd are Beautiful fishes but I always found them too shy...

This jungle will make the ember happy!

Cpd are Beautiful fishes but I always found them too shy...

Yah the Embers seem happy, I was watching the tank last night, about 8 hours after the embers when in and I actually saw the CPDs come out from the back a few times, the movement of the embers at the front glass may help them a bit, tho when I first added the pygmy corys the CPDs did appear more often but soon enough when back to just hanging at the very back in all the java fern.

I definitely think active fish help CPD's confidence massively, I've always had mine with espei's and they are always active all around the tank including right at the front for large periods of time, sometimes even trying to shoal with the espei's

Brilliant wee fish when they aren't shy

bit of a institute photo, the tank is so dark now you can hardly see in it with the light on :p

27359922977_f67a35ea0e_z.jpg
IMG_2001 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Added two more pigmy corys today, a local fish store had a few they looked so sad in the holding tank they had them in so I decided to rescue them, i may go back for the rest of them, i forgot how tiny young pigmy corys are, the existing pigmys I have are almost double the size, think I have 6 or 7 in here now, not that you would know/spot them, really need to thin out the java fern, this photo was taken with 3200 ISO and I had to boost the shadows a heap. The tank is very dark but I dont mind, i think it looks cool!

43964703872_cffa922995_z.jpg
IMG_2351 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Start feeding some live feeds and you may find there are more cory's then you thought :):)

I do feed live mirco worms a few times a week, I didnt mean I dont see the cory's if I sit in front of the tank, I meant in the photo it will be hard to see any of the fish thru all the java fern!

The pigmy corys are actually the most active fish in the tank (few CPDS and Ember Tetras in here) they often just sit on the moss balls and chill, then will wiggle around the upper regions of the tank, then take a rest on a leaf, very cute and fun to watch fish.

Try some grindal worms.

Good idea! I have been meaning to culture some grindal worms, seems easy enough just need to find a starter culture in my area! Will have to track some down soon.

Back