• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1ft Cube - Jungle Scape

Here is a quick video of this cube tank, with the CPDs and Pigmy Corys getting about. Enjoy.

Tank has become a bit to wild, will harvest some of the buce etc for my planned blackwater bookshelf tank.

24956403378_42f06c0713_c.jpg
IMG_0881
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Jungle is humming along, need to be thinned out a bit, pretty much never see the CPDs any more, they just stay at the back in the Java Fern, the Dwarf Corys are fun to watch and always active.

39553572021_493946c0c2_c.jpg
IMG_1195
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Thinned out this tank for the first time, not to bad for almost 2 years!

26071008228_68a4508fb8_c.jpg
IMG_1216
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Love the look of this tank, its great inspiration for the look I'm after for mine

Looks awesome Colm! Your tank was a big inspiration for my jungle cube

Cheers guys, this look / style of tank is my favourite after having tried a few different styles, the low maintenance aspect and natural look are big winners for me.

The activity of the Pygmy corydoras really caught my eye this evening so I decided to shoot a quick video, the Celestial pearl danios mainly hide these days but you catch the odd glimpse of them.

Hi all, Had you fed them with a really small food item? That is what they do when you feed them micro-worms.

cheers Darrel

Yes I had just feed some "micro pellets" you can see bit floating down here and there. The corys, cpds and shrimp all eat the same thing, makes it easy, I feed various dried foods, sometimes frozen baby brine shrimp, really need to try get my own live foods going, thats something ive never done.

Thanks :) with this tank I am dosing a all-in-one macro micro, it is a fairly weak fert looking at how much each 5ml dose increase NPK but suits low demanding plants ( the fert is actually sourced from a UK website, posted over to me in Australia)

Here are the specs taken from their website

I do find that the solution does go cloudy (precipitation maybe?) after a few weeks, lately I have been making the solution weaker (15g of fert mix to 500ml of distilled water) and this seems to be doing better.
If you don't mind my asking, where did you get your ferts from?

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get your ferts from?

I brought 500 grams of the all in one fert from co2 supermarket ages ago, they wont ship to Australia anymore, still have about 200grams left so so should last another 6 months or so, tho I now add the same mix to 2 other tanks so will need to sort out a similar mix, I only add 15 grams to 500ml of water, about half of what they recommend, good for low light slow growers

Hi all,
really need to try get my own live foods going, thats something ive never done.
They really like any of the three small nematodes, <"Micro, Banana or Walter worms">. I think my cultures are probably all Banana Worms now, as they are the most productive.

I use rolled oats as the feeding medium, in supermarket "coleslaw" tubs. They are pretty low maintenance.

cheers Darrel

Thinned out this tank for the first time, not to bad for almost 2 years!

26071008228_68a4508fb8_c.jpg
IMG_1216
by Colm Doyle, on Flickr
It is a beautiful tank,loved it.Did you cut moss balls at all or they just have spread themselves ?

Hi all, They really like any of the three small nematodes, <"Micro, Banana or Walter worms">. I think my cultures are probably all Banana Worms now, as they are the most productive.

I use rolled oats as the feeding medium, in supermarket "coleslaw" tubs. They are pretty low maintenance.

cheers Darrel

I will try microworms again.I feel guilty adding 3 pygmies without thinking about my substrate ( cat litter) and I would like to give them a little bit of extra.

It is a beautiful tank,loved it.Did you cut moss balls at all or they just have spread themselves ?

Thanks, the moss balls have just grown out like that, they grow very slowly but have flatten out and formed together a bit, they are probably a bit dead on the underside, you are meant to rotate them but I havent bothered.

How do you find the CPDs in a 30cm cube? What ratio do you have male / female? Do you get any aggression issues?
Are there still shrimp in there with them?

How do you find the CPDs in a 30cm cube? What ratio do you have male / female? Do you get any aggression issues?
Are there still shrimp in there with them?

Hi, I would say the 30cm cube is perhaps a bit small for them, they are not very active in this tank, mainly hiding at the back in the java fern and occasionally swimming out the front looking for something to eat, not sure on the male / female ratio and no idea how many i still have, I do see spawning activity but not sure if they have bred successfully, never really seen any fry, I started with 10 small CPDs and at a guess still have about that many, could have probably lost some (never found dead fish), maybe they bred occasionally... I cant say if any have really bred, probably not, I think they would eat their own eggs, also the corys would eat the eggs if the found them.

They do chase each other occasionally but nothing any different from what I see fish do in bigger tanks

Yes still have a heap of Cherry shrimp in this tank, im sure some of the smaller shrimplets get picked off by the fish but overall the population is stable with some small juvies that survive and grow large enough to not get eaten

Back