• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1st attempt at a planted freshwater aquarium... co2 idea and photoperiod questions

Tommytwotens

Seedling
4cec312764807972297bd07fb6a3b8b3.jpg

I have just set up my first planted aquarium using my old tmc signiture 600 reef tank with a sump. A 600x450x450 display holding 120l with a roughly 65l sump. The return pump is 1500lph.

I have opted for a low tech system and although the tank currently has a 6w leady (6500k) led over it, I have a twin t5 pendant ordered and plan to add a geismann 24w powerchrome: aquaflora and midday tube to it.

I have used flourite red as a lower substrate and topped this with some Hugo kami shi kuro black fine gravel to finish.

The hards cape consists of three pieces of Lake land green slate which I removed from my garden pond last year when I raised it with brick.

Plants include a variety of "beginner" plants such as cryptocoyrne x. Willisii, echinoderms blehiri, hygrophila polys perma "rosernvig" and anubias nana.

I have added 12 serpae tetra as the first stock of fish into the tank.

Not exactly the biotope I planned for initially lol as the plants are all from opposite ends of the world but hey ho they were in good condition and are apparently not too demanding.

The sump has foam at the inlet, bio media similar to ea k1 media seen in koi filters in the second chamber.

I have adapted the 3rd chamber to be a refugium where I have added some flourite and planted some anubias.

My plan was to run an opposite photoperiod using the leady 6w light currently lighting my display on the refugium. My theory was that this might help to stabilise co2 and, in turn, pH.

I figured the display would churn up co2 when the lights are on as the plants in the refugium release co2 in darkness. And vice versa.

I understand that my display is much more heavily stocked than the refugium but I wondered if anyone on here had similar experience and could tell me if this will work??

I would also be interested in the various theories on length of photoperiodstay without co2 injection???

The tank was set up today so excuse the cloudy water this will go away :)

Ultimately I would like to add a carpeting species but read that most need high light and co2 to succeed. How true is that?

3096768ac8a9bdaa47bc1db750e5dd23.jpg

73a31cd2cbdf6ee9b6397393d67a79dc.jpg

b0bdf5d061d41b122e3d58b69a92a3d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Finally a reply... fish release co2 yes... but do they release it at the same rate that our plants consume it?? And in an enclosed system do levels of co2 remain stable/ constant???

I am actually looking to add a pressurised co2 system now because I want a lush carpet of hemianthus callitrichoides cuba. This wasn't my original plan and I would appreciate any further advice as to whether the lighting I'm getting... (2x24 watt geismann t5) will be adequate for this light loving plant alongside co2... I'm also looking for photoperiod advice... I've also started using tropica premium fertiliser at two pumps a day... the plants seem to have responded and have moved leaves towards the leddy led light so far which is nice...

I've also added 18 harlequins and 10 cherry shrimp...

The tank is super cloudy as I've put some tetra crystal water in... but when it clears I'll add more pics :) I'm happy so far but won't know for a month until everything grows in :)

Hi
Never used a sump,but.
With the planned t5 lighting, you'll probably need some sort of carbon addition, be it co2 or liquid carbon IMO.
Not definitively, but more than likely.
Personally I start my lighting conservatively,around 5 hrs.
I always water change,everyday for the first 2 weeks,then ease off a bit in increments for the next month.For me,this def helps reduce the amount of algae down the line.
I'm sure you know what you're doing,but that's quite a lot of fish in there for day 2,(considering the relatively light plant load of slow growers) was the filter already up and cycled ?

I know its a lot of fish at once... I never recommend this and I work in aquatics.... I've always been a reef buff and I am most of the way through my degree in marine biology... that doesn't mean I have a degree in freshwater planted aquaria though but I believe I can manipulate the nitrogen cycle and get away with things most won't... I have added k1 media from my nexus koi pond filter and hope this will halt any no2 spikes my new tank has in store for me and failing that I will steal the media from my established turtle tank... or borrow it from the shop system... I think my main issues are my overnight conversion from low tech to co2 injection and my light intensity... as a beginner with plants I don't know what to expect

Previously my high intensity leds and nutrient supplementation was adequate for coral growth... but this game is new and plants in a freshwater system have new requirements...
I'm sure I can manage with the right advice though and that's why I joined this forum:) so u think my lighting will be adequate with the addition of co2? What sort of co2 concentration is recommended for mostly easy plants? I hot rid of my reef to lower the maintenance so I don't want excessive growth... just enough to keep a hobby and occasionally have something to do lol... I desperately want the carpet though lol...

My co2 system will be a 1l cannister with ceramic plate diffusion... probably in the display unless you guys think it will work as well in the sump?

It will be controlled with a solenoid valve which will be linked to the light timer?? Is this the best way?

All of the knowledge you are seeking on CO2 is explained really well in the threads over in the Tutorial section. If you read through those that should give you a really good base understanding of what is required. Once you get that understanding, you can then ask questions more specific to your situation and I am sure people will help. If you want to grow HC, then you are going to need decent light, CO2 and fertilisation, its not a low tech easy plant.

Back