• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1st day at MA aquatics!

aaronnorth

It was my first day at MA aquatics on my work experience, and they said i can rescape the fluval roma 90 :D I will be doing this on friday so watch out for some pics :?

Monday:

fed fish
cleaned all of the tanks front glass
cleaned the coldwater and cichlid tank (approx 30) another 100 or so tommorow :!:
priced up some gravel
restocked shelfs
took some rubbish to skip.

Nice one Aronnorth :) May I ask which MA is it your working at?

Excellent! I wish I'd done something a bit more adventurous for my work experience. I worked in a small local kitchen unit manufacturer. I spent days beating wooden door panels with a lump of coal to "age" it. I also spent a day carting car tyres about for the boss around to the local garage.

In college, when doing my BTEC National in computing, I did 2 weeks as a computer technician at the college which was cool :)

Now I think of it my work experience was a bit random too, I did window dressing... I'm now doing a PhD in computers/elec eng!

Sounds like they've got you doing all sorts of bits and pieces, always a sign of a good placement :) How long are you there for? 2 weeks?

Lucky for some, I was stacking shelves at Saisnburys! LOL and the second time was in a car garage working as a panel beater! then did a degree in Accounting and Finance and not am a Network Administrator! go figure! lol

It's good that they're giving you some responsibility so early on and not just treating you as a gofer.

My work experience was in a bread factory cleaning grease from all the machines and washing floors :?

Thanks guys, i am working at 'the dukeries' in welbeck, worksop. It's much better than school (so far) You are treat so much differently, more like an adult.

I cleaned 2 more sections of tanks (12 in each section), i am half way through them :? I almost made my first sale today aswell! It was a 40l tank with all accesories and optimat CO2 but they said they will think about it. I am only there for 1 week as they said i would get bored, so i am going to BJ's warehouse where they deal with rubber and materials, not the best place but i had 1 week to sort a placement out and i knew i would almost get it seen as my uncle works there.

It was alos good to haer that they will not be ordering any fish that get large like common plecs and they have posters about big fish and what size tanks they need, it couldbe the next step forward. I forgot to say, yesteraday a rep from JBL came in (he's french) he gave me and another member of staff some freebies, i got 3 tubs of different food, algae scraper with a metal blade (unsure whether to use this), the JBL '7 balls. I aso got a chocolate muffin :D Graham (member of staff) said he always brings a muffin, maybe a french tradition? He comes out with some good stuff too!

He was on about carbon, he said:

The manafacturer put it in so that customers will keep on buying it as they think it will be an essential part of the filter. If i was dealing with a customer (he bends down as though on toilet!) and i s*** in the tank, you come back every time you need a new s*** ok? That is how necassary it is! Ok! :lol:

aaronnorth said:

The manafacturer put it in so that customers will keep on buying it as they think it will be an essential part of the filter. If i was dealing with a customer (he bends down as though on toilet!) and i s*** in the tank, you come back every time you need a new s*** ok? That is how necassary it is! Ok! :lol:

Nice to hear it from the horse's er... mouth :lol:

aaronnorth said:
algae scraper with a metal blade (unsure whether to use this)
They're great in glass tanks but don't use them in acrylic, also watch out for plant leaves getting in the way.
Graham (member of staff) said he always brings a muffin, maybe a french tradition?
It was always pain au chocolat when I was working in France, every Friday morning :D yummy
Excusing his French ;)
Seriously though, carbon is good for removing meds if you've had to treat your tank (or so I've been lead to believe, PCMIIW). Mine's still sitting in my 'box of bits' just in case :)

Excusing his French
Seriously though, carbon is good for removing meds if you've had to treat your tank (or so I've been lead to believe, PCMIIW). Mine's still sitting in my 'box of bits' just in case

He did say use it to remove meds, he said the juwel carbon sponges dont work as the carbon needs to be porous (like fluval) to absorb the elements.

Well today was my last day, i finished the scape, not to bad, i have took a pic but i cant upload it, i'll try it tommorow because i can't be bothered tonight.

It was the best day today, i was running the till and serving customers on my own, i brought in just shy of £100 (they must make a fortune if i can do that!)

I am supposed to be going to 'BJ's Warehouse' but i am asking Sam (manager) if i can go to MA for the next week aswell! :D

aaronnorth said:
Well today was my last day, i finished the scape, not to bad, i have took a pic but i cant upload it, i'll try it tommorow because i can't be bothered tonight.

It was the best day today, i was running the till and serving customers on my own, i brought in just shy of £100 (they must make a fortune if i can do that!)

I am supposed to be going to 'BJ's Warehouse' but i am asking Sam (manager) if i can go to MA for the next week aswell! :D

Great my week starts on the 9th June.

Here are some pics of the tank i scaped, they are not very good because it is a mobile, and it is next to a door with lots of light (reflections).

ma.jpg

ma2.jpg

what do you think? It needs a few months to grow in but it was cool having the whole shop to choose from!

2 x 15w aqua glow (1WPG)
no co2
inert gravel
driftwood (4 pieces)
black background
fluval 2+ internl filter
fluval tronic heater

crypt balanse
crypt becketti
crypt bullosa
crypt 'm' (cant remember name, starts with M)
vallis spiralis
lilaeopsis mauritiana

5 x ottos
5 x japonica shrimp
5 x honey gouramis

Back