• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1st Ever Aquascape: 80x40x45 (WxDxH)

MartinManc

Seedling
Hey all,
First attempt and I already wish I added more aqua soil because I’ve got sand and gravel under it and planting was a bit awkward. Lesson one haha.

What was a bookcase is now a stand, thanks Billy Bookcase!, and Dad, who did all the work.

I’ll be adding more plants but the initial setup stretched me a bit so I think people have got the hint I want plant money for Christmas.

The first few pictures are last week during setup and fill up, then the water change last night and the last is this mornings picture.
It took me ages to get the filter in a position that wasn’t blowing everything around like crazy.

Attachments

• FC61D05A-96A6-4D4C-ACD0-43EFE18C56BB.jpeg
    FC61D05A-96A6-4D4C-ACD0-43EFE18C56BB.jpeg
    533.9 KB · Views: 265
  • 0133A4E0-B3E1-461D-A628-5AAEB71A196E.jpeg
    0133A4E0-B3E1-461D-A628-5AAEB71A196E.jpeg
    796 KB · Views: 241
  • AB8DC2CA-AB9D-4CBB-B0D0-4FBDF89BD376.jpeg
    AB8DC2CA-AB9D-4CBB-B0D0-4FBDF89BD376.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 226
  • 9A1E3A05-8410-4F13-9BC9-D492F116AA87.jpeg
    9A1E3A05-8410-4F13-9BC9-D492F116AA87.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 227
  • 203ADF82-8997-4BCF-9664-2A26A688128C.jpeg
    203ADF82-8997-4BCF-9664-2A26A688128C.jpeg
    599.2 KB · Views: 254
  • D2A9351A-B56E-4E83-B06F-874C30C52860.jpeg
    D2A9351A-B56E-4E83-B06F-874C30C52860.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 245
Nice start - I hope you never want to get into whatever is behind that door ;)

Is all the equipment (tank, light, filter) from APS? Did you do anything to the reenforce the stand or is it just standard?

I know you said budget it tight but in the near future you might want to look for something that will give height to the scape, same branches reaching out from the rock work or some bigger rock(s).

Oh, also before the plants start to spread, use something with a flat bottom (old credit card etc.) to make the soil at the front a straight line. I know it probably wand and planting messed it up but do it now before it's covered by a carpet or you'll forever be looking at a wavy line and won't be able to not see it!

What's the current plant list and what are you thinking of spending your Christmas money on?

Thank you, yea that’s a good point about levelling it out.
I was thinking of getting some wood for it, like you say it’s quite low height wise.

The hardware was APS. The plants, rock and aqua soil was Aquarium Gardens.

Structure wise it’s mainly 3x2 with some old hardwood from my grandads old stable door.

plant list:
Eleocharis acicularis Mini

Limnobium laevigatum

Salvinia Auriculata

Pogostemon Erectus

Micranthemum Monte Carlo

Anubias Petite

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green'

Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan'

Vesicularia dubyana 'Christmas'

Microsorum pteropus Trident

as far as fertiliser goes, do you add the recommended does in one go or spread it over the week? I’m likely going to be doing weekly water changes.

Thanks,
Martin

Looks very nice mate for your first go, as always it’s comes with practise!
positive and negative criticism is key,
My old man ran an internal filter and he always find cleaning it is so much more hassle than an external filter, say the Oase biomaster with easy maintenance or the Fluval G range, if you like the look of the low level rocks, that’s your choice! adding some height probably would’ve made it look a lot different but bit late now haha, but it does look nice mate hope you have fun it with!

Looks very nice mate for your first go, as always it’s comes with practise!
positive and negative criticism is key,
My old man ran an internal filter and he always find cleaning it is so much more hassle than an external filter, say the Oase biomaster with easy maintenance or the Fluval G range, if you like the look of the low level rocks, that’s your choice! adding some height probably would’ve made it look a lot different but bit late now haha, but it does look nice mate hope you have fun it with!
Thank you, i had thought about external filters for the future so I’m likely to end up with one from APS, they seem have good reviewed ones at very reasonable prices. Although I’ve seen George Farmer clean the Bio Master and it looks a breeze!

Thank you, i had thought about external filters for the future so I’m likely to end up with one from APS, they seem have good reviewed ones at very reasonable prices. Although I’ve seen George Farmer clean the Bio Master and it looks a breeze!
Obviously price is a factor, but if you can hold off and save to get your desired one, the Oase ones are very much ideal, mixed reviews but I’ve noticed anyone with issue Oase’s customer service are so quick on helping fix the issues

Thank you, that’s always good to know. The thought of having an inbuilt heater is quite good, too. I did buy one but it would be ideal to not ruin the scape with a big heater, especially since I can’t hide it behind plants yet!

Thank you, i had thought about external filters for the future so I’m likely to end up with one from APS
I've had an APS 1400 running on my tank for a couple of years now. I've had no issues with it performance and leaking wise. It is a little noisy but only noticeable if there is no other background noise. The main pain is cleaning it as you do have to strip it down but I guess that is the same with most filters except those like the Oase with a pre-filter. I also run a Hydor inline heater with it at the moment but I admit the appeal of the heater built into the filter does appeal - just makes the hose work so much easier. I'm always keeping an eye out for a decent 2nd hand one.

In that case I may hold out and save my pennies, if I decide I need a bigger filter I’ll splash out - so to speak.

3 week update:
The water finally cleared up ☺️

Attachments

• AF96D520-2366-47B4-8A0F-09A614EE40D6.jpeg
    AF96D520-2366-47B4-8A0F-09A614EE40D6.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 160
Back