• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1st iwagumi attempt....

Yea I have started a journal here
Planted jewel 1mx30cmx40cm 120litre/26 gallon | UK Aquatic Plant Society.

There was a lot in those pots . I started out with tiny clumps and thought ' nah this is silly and would take me way too long' I mean it did take a while to plant but I used slightly bigger clumps :) .
I have done the same as what you've said and left a gap in the top , But i have got a glass cover on mine .
I was thinking of maybe rigging up some diy co2 and running a couple tubes into either end of the tank. Easy enough to do and surely the 'greenhouse' can only benefit from this? What's your thoughts ??

Does take time eh Sam. Wish I laid separate stems out on top of substrate like big clown in his propagator now!
Someone did mention the co2 idea a few weeks back but I think the consensus was you would never notice the difference as there is more then enough co2 in the air as it is!

Big clown, only pulled out one plug and separated it & lightly pushed the leaves apart on the other plugs, didn't touch of disturb the roots, you think even tht would stunt growth?
Il post some pics tomo night.

Hows your temperature been with the bigger gap in cover? Is there still plenty of water in tank? How long are your lights on for?
It could be a few things. I think your mold issue was the yellowing bits of hc melting and going black. It happend in propagator at about 2-3 weeks and then it dried out and disappeared over a few days. Ive had another look at your pics on the laptop and it looks very similar and i dont think its a problem. I was more worried about big fluffy bits of mould appearing because of the slimy melting bits but that didnt happen either

Hi all, so in to week 6 now, still quite slow growth to my eye, slightly yellowing leaves and some black specks/spots on some leaves! I just don't know if its too humid or to dry!!

Hows your temperature been with the bigger gap in cover? Is there still plenty of water in tank? How long are your lights on for?

Temp is the same, around 21/23, yep been misting everyday because of the gaps in cling film, lights the same at 12 hours!

M5W5uPZ.jpg

3sH8tEd.jpg

Just buy a cheapo hygrometer from eBay.I may be wrong but i think you want to hit anything over 75% but ideally 85% humidity , I've just bought one from eBay , should come tomorrow.
At least it will give you an idea and something to work to . Do you have a heat mat with yours?
Cheers

If your tanks steaming up there is enough humidity.
Its still green and appears to be growing. It might have run out of stored energy and growth has slowed till roots catch up, are there plenty nutrients in substrate? Mine was grown on john ines 3. From what i've read heat mats are not needed but do help.

No heat mat cos as big clown says tank steams so I expect there is enough humidity. Would be interesting to see what the humidity is tho and as hygrometers are only a few quid might pick one up!
Have had quite a big gap in top as was concerned with mould so maybe it's gone the other way now and isn't humid enough, and that's why not lots of growth a not brilliant health! Have left a smaller gap now so we will see! Think I got to find the rite balance between keeping it humid enough but not to much as to cause mould!

I'm not using a Heatmat but I'm using LEDs so not much heat off the lights , doesn't seem to be dropping past 21c or rising past 24.4~ . I will let you know what the hygrometer reads , it's handy to know :) , I've left a 10mm gap in mine the length of the tank and so far so good. But only been running 5 days !

do you have a nutrient soil, I had a layer of amazonia powder under my flora base that I had left from before. completely covered the tank with cling film and sprayed it every few days. The room temp averaged 22 degrees and the light was on most of the day. Its completely carpeted now.

Hi Matt, yea using new aquasoil Amazonia. Don't get me wrong, it's growing, but not very fast, and losing a little bit every few days to mould so don't want to leave completely covered! Sam forgot you had LEDs so no heat but your room temp sounds good!

Well let's face it , we are having a proper summer , room temp is currently at 25 c !
Just put the hyrgometer in the tank and it was showing over 90% humidity !!

Terry I'm getting yellowing on my hair grass , any ideas ??
Humidity is high , misting twice a day , it's in Ada soil and lights have been on for 14 hrs so thinking it could be that and them drying out (maybe) I just slashed 1.5 hrs off that time .
They are at the back at the highest point so may need more moisture ?? What do you think ? Hc and staurogyne have gone crazy !
Sorry to post in here but you may shed some light .
Cheers

Hi Sam, mine did exactly the same, but is very green now! To be honest it was quite yellow when I put it in to start with! Once it gets its roots down I expect itl come back green! I really wouldn't worry about it drying out, I'm sure once a day misting is more then enough!
Someone else in this thread might be able to help you more? Cheers mate

Mine was also a little yellow before planting , we got the hair grass from the same place so thats reassuring :) , and maybe I will just mist the once a day from now on .
Thanks for the advice dude .

Terry you should upload a pic of your hair grass , be interesting to see how yours is doing , so I know what to look for .
Cheers man

2a7abyza.jpg

There you go bud , glass is really steamed at the mo so can't get shot from front!

adyjesa2.jpg

So it'll be week 8 tomorrow.
No difference from a few weeks ago still! Hair grass is looking good and growing at least! Browsing/yellowing on the HC hasn't got any worse so I've put it down drying out slightly as I did start to leave a big gap in cling film which I covered a few weeks back!
It just doesn't seem to be sending out runners like In others DSM's that I've seen, just stays compact!

Hey man ,
It's all green and healthy :) as least there is nothing going wrong .
I'm using Ada as well and we both got the hc from same place , all that is different is the lighting ,
What kelvin are you bulbs ???
I'm 3 weeks in and the hc has started to carpet amazingly well :)
I'm mostly using 10 k bulbs . I know it has been discussed that plants adapt to what ever light is available but there has to be a reason why .
Cheers

How is the timelapse coming along ?? I've been doing one of the hc as well but my son keeps on messing with it :/ there is a lot of activity though during the photo period .

Back