• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1st journal, 2nd scape

chump54

first journal, second scape ...will try to think of a better title.
the first scape was all over the place, I've tried to plan this one better.

inspiration: George's 80cm thanks George, love this scape.
tank: rio 125L 81 x 36 x 50 cm
filter: tetratec 1200
co2: pressurized
ferts: EI method, KNO3 & KH2PO4 Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday & Trace Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Saturday Rest and Sunday 50% water change.

• 20ml of (KNO3) solution - 40g / 500ml
  • 15ml of KH2PO4 15g / 500ml.
  • 5 ml of AE trace mix 15g / 250ml
thanks to James for the very helpful site

PLANTS
Vesicularia dubyana - hiding in there incase I want to use it later ;)
Bacopa australis
Anubias barteri var. nana
Alternanthera reineckii `Pink` (roseafolia)
Cryptocoryne beckettii ``petchii
Cryptocoryne x willisii
Hemianthus callitrichoides ''Cuba''
Microsorum pteropus ''Narrow''
Rotala sp. ''Green''
P Helferi

from the front
3042167886_3bc5374193.jpg

and the side
3041344655_216b450a47.jpg

some of the things to do
  • add more stone round the front stone
  • add stone round the left hand wood
  • add external heater
  • sort out co2 diffuser placement
  • might add more wood on the right

love to hear what you all think

cheers

Chris

Nice one, should look good once it's grown in.

I think you need more branches though, the ones you've got in there at the moment lack height.

Really lush colours in the photo, looks almost like CGI. What kind of camera is that? Did you do any post-processing?

You know what might work? If you trim the far-right, front-corner, so there's a gap at the front tapering towards the side. I see a lot of 'scapes filling the corners right up to the front. If you create some room at the edge, it gives nice depth. (I can't seem to get Luis' 'scape out my head).

There's definitely something there. At first, I thought it looked a little sparse. But the more I look, I think you should definitely treasure some of that sparse scrub-land appearance , and fight any urge to fill it up. Agonise over every encroachment you make into the open space, the open space is what makes this 'scape good.

chump54 said:
shot on a nikon d60 in raw format messed around with rgb levels, exposure.
does it look like too much manipulation? looks ok on my monitor.

C

It looks great.

hey thanks... looking forward to the plants maturing.

The HC is coming along nicely, much quicker than my first scape. I guess this is mostly down to the pressurised co2, but I also used smaller clumps. I really enjoyed the process of repeatedly planting the HC, and watching it fill in is great fun!

also the crypts have started sending out runners which they never did in the previous scape. again co2 I guess but have changed so much its impossible to be sure.

C

thanks Calum ... i think you're right too, I'm going to try and find something a bit twisty :?

I've been concerned about the lack of pearling going on, prior to this rescape I was getting pearling after about 4 hours of lights on, since the rescape, when I removed the jewel internal filter and replaced it with a tetratec ex1200 I don't see any pearling. BUT just turned the lights back on and turned the filter off, to take some photos and after about 10 minutes everything was beginning to pearl. I thought I read on here recently (sorry can't remember where/who) that someone else had something similar. I'm thinking the amount of flow is preventing the O2 from forming nice big bubbles.

Also have a lot of clouding at the moment, can really see it once the filter is off, and in the picture.

3063823505_f795f41b11.jpg

oh i've moved the hardscape a bit

Another great scape, its starting to take a nice shape :) congrats.
Keep us posted, forum is generating a lot of very interesting scapes lately :)
Think its time I did something different with mine too hehehe :)

Be careful what wood you're getting, I got some for reptiles months ago and it didn't really agree with being put in water.

I think it will look great without any additional hardscape to be honest. I can imagine it might even look even better when grown in without the hardscape showing.

Thomas McMillan said:
Be careful what wood you're getting, I got some for reptiles months ago and it didn't really agree with being put in water.
thanks for the info, I'll find out what the LFS has to say about it.

Thomas McMillan said:
I think it will look great without any additional hardscape to be honest. I can imagine it might even look even better when grown in without the hardscape showing.
I can see what you mean. I'm going to see how it grows out, the hardscape i have in mind could be slotted in later.

Back