• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST

Been there, done that
9696141969_76e6ef0699_z.jpg
:)DSC_1998_copy by Ed Prust, on Flickr

That's coming on well. I know it's a beast of a tank - the clue is in the title of the thread - but seeing you in the picture really puts the size of the tank in to perspective...:eek:

Sad to report, my otos stopped schooling after about a week in the tank.
My understanding is that they schooled at first as they werent sure of their surroundings. They have now settled and are rarely seen swimming in "open waters" in groups. Glad I took that vid.

I got the same.. But they gather again when draining the tank, doing a water change on the place where the fresh water comes in. After that they school happy for an hour or maybe some more, then they split up..

Well done on a challenging project!

This is a perfect tank for those aponogetons
- often fast growth and can get massive if not nutrient limited
When/if they start to die back, I just remove leaves & wait for the regrowth ... in Tropica Aquarium Soil I’ve not had them rot during the dormant period, I leave part of the bulb exposed when planting (maybe 1/5 to 1/3 depending on shape)

Add in 50-60 pygmy cory, otos seems to quite appreciate the look alike company

Many thanks!

This is a perfect tank for those aponogetons

You might be right. I love the fenestrated madagascariensis types, had some in the past with mixed results. Perhaps its time for another go!
Thanks for the tip on clipping leaves and letting them go dormant.

Add in 50-60 pygmy cory,

I will definately consider that. I have about 6 bronze cories in there, but i might need more cories to keep the substrate disturbed.

Thanks for reading
Fil

Add in 50-60 pygmy cory, otos seems to quite appreciate the look alike company

Massive school of cories would look great, a shoal of hastatus to shoal midwater with the otos and then a big shoal of something that would stand out like pandas for the bottom would look great. However Personal favourites are gold lasers and duplicareus If you don't mind spending abit more. Normally about 10-20quid a fish so large shoal could soon add up.

Cheers

Conor

how's the overflow working for you?

Had to put a net over the teeth to keep small fish and shrimp out of the sump. Other than that, its working a treat. I dont feel that I loose much co2 going through the overflow and out of the sump.

How do you force the dirt up and into the overflow

In short, I dont.
Ive a few powerheads moving the water around, but thats more for co2 and nutrient delivery.
Works so far.

Thanks
Fil

In short, I dont.
Ive a few powerheads moving the water around, but thats more for co2 and nutrient delivery.
Works so far.

Isn't that a disadvantage of overflow systems vs canister filters the inflow tubes of which reach down almost to the substrate surface? For context I have a 700L + 120L sump and have been experiencing fish health issues like never before (I've had several tanks before this one), and I tend to believe that's it's the incomplete dirt removal by the overflow to blame.

Your tank looks fantastic!!

Isn't that a disadvantage of overflow systems vs canister filters

Possibly, but even with a canister you will have plenty of detritus stuck in the substrate.
Regardless, a work around for me would be to set a series of powerheads on for only say 30 minutes per day, to REALLY get stuff moving around the tank and down the overflow.
My tank is still a baby, albeit it a supersized one. Perhaps detritus will be more of an issue down the road.

700L + 120L sump and have been experiencing fish health issues like never before

Thats a big tank youve got there!
As always in this hobby, we are dealling with so many variables its near impossible to say.
Ive kept mainly sumped tanks, never had any major fish health issues.

Thanks
Fil

I would add malayan trumpet snails, they will move your soil around improving soil health and remove a lot of dirt too.
On the other hand detritus is good as a food source for fry/tiny critters too.

Back