• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST

Filip Krupa

Hi All,

I've been putting off starting this journal long enough.

1700x1700x700mm stand made of 2x4s and 2x8s
1700x1700x750mm acrylic tank, 25mm walls, 12mm base and euro bracing with corner braces.
1400x600x250mm sump

9 x 50W LED floodlight fixture hung from ceilling
Auto fert dosing (EI)
600mm tall CO2 reactor
2 x 25w Vecton 600 uv
Siemens logo 8.2 PLC

Hardscape

250kg of black blasting sand
200kgs of hardscaping rock

Plants:
Tiger lotus
E. Cordifolius
Ludwigia glandulosa
Bolbitus h.
Phoenix moss
Pogostemon

Animals:
Cherry shrimp
MTS
Otos
Bronze cories
Hillstream loaches
Cardinal tetras
Neon tetras
Black neon tetras
Black widow tetras
Black phantom tetras
Columbian tetras
Penguin tetras
Endler guppies
SAE
Red lizard whiptail plec
Bamboo shrimp
Galaxy rasboras
Dwarf puffers
Amano shrimp
Peters' elephantnose

I will be modifying/adding to the list as I go along. Last updated 28th Feb 2019.

20180320_124221.jpg 20180401_140239.jpg 20180603_085412.jpg 20180320_162432.jpg received_1145302365612308.jpeg received_1148645048611373-1.jpg

Last edited:
Pic 4 made me realise you'll need to take the evaporation into account, there will be added moisture in the room. Depends on water temperature ofcourse, but some extra ventilation might be in place.
Also is your girl admiring used diapers:eek:, kinda looks like it

there will be added moisture in the room.

Yup, already covered. I've a DIY whole house ventilation with a heat exchanger in the loft (also DIY).
It's working so well the house is actually too dry, especially in winter. I'd be very surprised if I have any humidity issues from the tank.

Thanks
SpeedoFil

A little update.

Took me all day, but I reworked the whole return plumbing to reduce the volume of water going through the sump.

In short, pumps are now in series (not parallel) 1 pump now serves both reactors.

Have a look, and let me know what you guys think!

The double line on the drawing is where the water will flow during normal operation.
20180609_210438.jpg

20180609_202229.jpg

20180609_202220.jpg

20180609_202346.jpg

Thanks for reading
Fil

Really nice build, I'd be super happy with that, additionally I'd be ecstatic to have that much under tank storage for equipment!

If I had a tank that size I would bankrupt myself by filling it with Buce and then expire from a heart attack at the first drop of a leaf.

:)

You shouldn't really run pumps in series, you will possibly damage one or both the pumps. Might be ok'ish if pump has a bypass, like your idea, but then has a deadly failure mode. If first pump fails/turned off then looks like 2nd pump will draw water backwards through the bypass.

You shouldn't really run pumps in series, you will possibly damage one or both the pumps

I've never heard of this. Do you know this first hand?
The inside of the pumps seems to have plenty of space around the centrifuge, for water to flow even if pump is off.

The bypass has to be switched on manually.
You think my pumps will be ok?

I work in industrial design and generally you don't put pumps in series, especially if different capacities and sizes and types. Your 10,000 L pump will end up overpowering and forcing water past the 6,500 L pump, possibly damaging it.

You can put pumps in series but needs to be thought out and designed correctly. Normally pressure relief valves, pressure bypasses, pressure reservoirs and other devices are needed to protect the pumps against damage.

So for fish tanks, if you want more flow use bigger pumps or multiple pumps in parallel.

That makes sense, thanks Ian.

Your 10,000 L pump will end up overpowering and forcing water past the 6,500 L pump, possibly damaging it.

The 10,000L pump has an outlet going directly to the DT, and the 6,500L pump.

In my amateur mind, this would mean that any flow above what the 6,500L pump can handle, is directed straight into the DT.
Does that make sense?

Fil

Last edited:
Agree with Ian. But if the values was open (except the drain OFC) so the bypass is feed direct to the tank and the 6500 can just take what it needs from the feed from the 10,000 it should work IMO and ignoring pump failures OFC.

'If' I interpret your drawing correct you have the CO2 injection parallel with the reactors when the CO2 injection needs to be before the CO2 reactor !

Think it will be a pipe cleaning nightmare going off how long mine takes ;)

'If' I interpret your drawing correct you have the CO2 injection parallel with the reactors when the CO2 injection needs to be before the CO2 reactor !

Hi Zeus,

Hope your 500L is doing fantastic.

What you're looking at there are 2 parallel reactors, with co2 fed in directly. I just called one "co2" and the other "reacts" in order to confuse everyone :D

Think it will be a pipe cleaning nightmare going off how long mine takes

I've never actually cleaned the pipes in my 400L return.
Just let whatever builds up, break off over time xD

Fil

I've never actually cleaned the pipes in my 400L return.
Just let whatever builds up, break off over time xD

Was that mainly a fish tank? Planted tanks get more detritus which builds up in the pipes and doesnt help the plants esp high tank tanks, cleaner the better esp regarding detritus build up went complex long hose/pipes. The reason for short no complex hoses that most use in high tech tanks is just easy to clean so it gets done, as soon as its complex it gets left and you pay the price long term.

I would go for the 6500 for the sump, it feeds the overflow and gets it from the sump into the tank
And the 10000 pushing flow through the reactors with a separate in- and outflow in the tank ( maybe in behind a small mattenfilter) and out through a spraybar

I see no reason for the 6500 pump?If it is in series behind the 10,000 pump?The 10,000 will still only pump 10,000 regardless of if the 6500 is there or not?
I would think it would be a nightmare to balance the flow to the 6500 without causing cavitation in the smaller pump through loss of flow?

Back