• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

2 filters or one

The ten x flow rate is based on the filters rating not the actual flow, it is a guide line.
If we go back 10 years or so, there were several guide lines (based on tried and tested methods) that were quoted on this forum on a daily basis.
2 x T5 tubes the same length as the tank, 10 x flow rate, EI ferts, 50% weekly water change, full length spray bar, 6 hours of light building to 8 hours, Amazonia substrate...... all perfectly sensible starting points for long term success.
Still good advice today but there are always going to be exceptions and different opinions.

The flow within the tank is very important (critical even) if you are trying to evenly distribute injected C02 but the scapes layout can make a huge difference.
10 x flow through a full length spray bar is a proven way, especially in a Dutch style layout, but perhaps not necessary if you have an island scape or a carpet and branch design.

Just a guide line as part of a well tried formula to help beginners get started on the right foot.
Perfectly explained and that makes sense , so I could swap out my jbl with a bigger more powerful canister and use a small powerhead if and when needed. Thanks Foxfish

does anyone know of a JBL stockist in the UK that may not possibly have a huge web presence as I am struggling to find someone that has the e1902 in stock.

Thanks for that, clealry missed them in my search. Alas I was ready to pull the plug and though I had better check pipe diameter and alas 19/27mm :( Therefore my stainless lily pipes wont fit as they are 16/22. It looks like all the manufactures that are offering the 2000lph models are going for bigger pipes now I guess the pump needs it for inceased flow.
isco
Looks like Im back to the e1502, saying that I also like the look of the Aquael Ultramax 1500 as swell uk have a 10% discount for january whish is a good deal.

Last edited:
I have noticed with Swell that they seem to say discounted and you can pick same up for same price.
JBL CristalProfi e1502 greenline External Aquarium Filter (pro-shrimp.co.uk) they have 3 in stock.
Just in case you miss the last one at Swell.
Aquael Ultramax 1500 External Filter (completeaquatics.co.uk)
They have 1 left

I have been doing a lot of research on filters, hence I know who has got stock.
The situation on stock for all aquatic stuff is getting quite bad.
Thanks very much for the extra information, Im still debating as this is always my problem, I can make a decison lol. However, lloking back on your helpful chart it appears that the real turnover on the e1502 2.8x v the Ultramax 1500 4x on a 200l is a no brainer, especially as there is only a tenner in it.

For a 200l tank ultramax 1500 is 3. E1502 is 2.8. the other difference is biological media is 4.5kg and 3kg respectively.
I know the chart is not easy to read at the moment.
external FilterPriceNumber of traysVolume of tray LNumber of other traysVolume of other trays LBiological media estimate (Kg)hose sizeAquarium capacity (L)Filter capacity (L)Max head (CM)flow rate (L/h)real flow rate from reviews or 0.4 of flow ratereal turnover forreal turnover forreal turnover forreal turnover forreal turnover for
30.5l50l75l150l200l
Aquael ultramax 1500
£162.99​
1.9​
4.516/22250-450
13.5​
200​
1500​
19.7​
12.0​
8.0​
4.0​
3.0​
JBL CristalProfi e1502
£159.95​
31.911.1316/22160-400
12​
1400​
18.4​
11.2​
7.5​
3.7​
2.8​
Just found this site. Might help PVC Aquarium Hose & Hose Adaptors - Aquarium Plumbing. might be able to make an adaptor

My bad I was reading the Ultramax 2000. Seems like the utramax pips it to the post. I have read many people say that theya re also super quiet.

And thanks again for the chart and input it really is appreciated.

Interesting question.

So your JBL 701 has a flow rate of 700L/h which would give a real flow rate (0.4 x flow rate) of 280L/h for your 150L that would be a turnover of 1.9 x per h

using this data: JBL e1502 would have an estimated real turnover of 3.7 x per hour. Aquael ultramax 1500 would have an estimated real turnover of 4.0 x per hour. So to get close to the fabled 10 x turnover you would need 2 of which ever one you choose when you decide to go high tech.

I used this bit of research I have been doing, it is no way finished and might not be precise or correct. Butt might help with an overview and stop you spending hours collating data. Hope you can read it?
View attachment 160161
Hi Grumpy,
have you seen this video? Couple of data points for your chart on the AquaEl 2000 flow rate:

Excellent work, btw.

Its such a shame regarding the pipe diameters needed on this filter, and the fact that it wont work with my lily pipes. Otherwise, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I still havent pulled the plug on an additional filter yet, the monies went elsewhere on a light upgrade and co2 kit.....

Its such a shame regarding the pipe diameters needed on this filter, and the fact that it wont work with my lily pipes. Otherwise, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I still havent pulled the plug on an additional filter yet, the monies went elsewhere on a light upgrade and co2 kit.....
I'm actually in the same boat as you - just planning to build a 240l tank and have been doing research for the last two weeks, sometimes running in circles. I'm actually starting to get sick of it, have to remind myself not to pull the trigger on something just out of sheer frustration :)
I was also settled on the AquaEl 2000, but the pipe size made me do a double take. Everything is pretty much 16/22.
Now I'm hesitating between the Oase 850 or the AquaEl 1500, maybe adding a secondary filter down the road for extra flow when the tank is becoming overgrown. I've been also looking at UV filters and my understanding is that the requirement there is just the opposite when it comes to flow rate: the slower the better. So in fact, having a slower secondary filter dedicated to UV filtering might be beneficial overall.
So many things to consider!

I'm actually in the same boat as you - just planning to build a 240l tank and have been doing research for the last two weeks, sometimes running in circles. I'm actually starting to get sick of it, have to remind myself not to pull the trigger on something just out of sheer frustration :)
Im glad Im not the only one then lol, I had almost convinced myself to buy the AquaEL 1500, then for someone reason had second doubts, not sure why. I like the idea of an easy maintenance pre-filter, so the Oase and AquaEl seem to be good choices. In a way Im quite pleased that a good price became available on the light and tied up my funds for a while as it has forced me to step back for a bit.

Regarding UV I have run units in the past, especially when I had expensive reef fish. However, I dont see much benefit in a planted tank. Your right about the flow, for them to be effective you want the flow slow. I was fortunate enough to have a sump on my reef tank at the time, and ran the UV with a low flow circulation pump. One thing to remember is that UV sterilizers def reduce water flow on a canister filter, and if you are considering a med/high tech set up then flow is king, and goes against the 10x guidance. Im not sure I would run an additonal canister filter just to support a UV. Although if you are going to use something like Purigen in your filter, I have been reading that slower flow is also better for this product too, so maybe you could combine the two. Just my thoughts.....

Thanks Milopapa. Yes I saw that. Is close to my 0.4 (40%) of real flow compared to manufacturers figure. I took it as a data point, but you did not know what filter media was used. That is the problem with this. So many variables with the media setup alone. But it has helped me to understand the range of filters out there.
My latest look is for my 25L hospital tank. For the price these are good with good turnover
Seachem Tidal.jpg

If nothing else. For the price, one would make a good and simple to install emergency filter when the main one goes wrong. Just put the media from the main filter in, hang off back and turn it on. Then you just have to wait for the spare parts to arrive for the main filter and not worry about your livestock. From what I have seen, they are quite quiet as long as you get the water level right.

Last edited:
Back