• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

2 Mysterious Deaths?

aaronnorth

i have a 40gal planted aquarium, i run co2 (drop checker green) dose 5ml TPN+ daily,

water -

no3 - 20-40ppm (gets up to 40 by end of week)
nh4 - 0
ph - 8
no2 - 0

i have had an x-ray tetra and a silver mollie die for an unknown reason in the last week, there were no signs of ill helth,

fins ok
scales/ gills ok
no signs of internal parasites
no whitespot (clown loaches would probably get that 1st anyway)

x-ray appprox 1.5yrs old (from when purchased)
molly 1.5yrs old (was born in my tank)

Thanks, Aaron

Well the first thing I would say is that fish do die for no apparent reason at times, however two different species going in a short period of time is something to keep an eye on. Even though the tests seem ok I would do a couple of large water changes just in case. Did they die at a certain time in the day? Had you fed anything new? Just done a water change? Any swelling? Areas of pale colour? Have you stocked any new fish recently?

Don't worry as you may find that it's simply coincidence, but do keep a more careful eye on things.

i didn't mind the x-ray as they dont live long but it is the fact that is 2 in a short space of time, i haven't had any deaths in about 1yr. I am doing a 50% w/c tomorrow.

1) the x-ray died either in the morning or night and the molly come to think of it around the same time i think, i found it at 12.00pm.

2) same food, flake twice daily, an algae pelley (for plec)

3)no lumps/ pale colour and no new fishes, last 2 introduced about 3 or 4 month ago.

Maybe it could of gased them out with co2 although very unlikely, i run 1 nutrafin and the mixture is 2 weeks old at the 1st death.

Thanks, Aaron

The only way I'd suspect CO2 then is if the two fish you've lost are the largest fish in the tank (except for those that can breath air like catfish). If they are the same size as others or even smaller than them then, IMO, it's unlikely it's been caused by CO2. It's also highly unlikely to do that with the Nutrafin kits, especially as the mix is old. (I once stressed my fish in a 25l tank with a Nutrafin kit but I'd doubled the amount of yeast!!!)

i have:

10" plec
2 x 4" clown loaches
2 x X-rays (1 now)
3 x mollies (2 now)
2 x penguin tetras

i am not getting any more fish as i am thinking of stipping tank own and starting again as i just chucked some easy plants in with a nutrafin as i like planted tanks, i set up a 2nd tank and found it so much easier to keep with the correct equipment needed.

Some fish can have internal problems that can be there when bought or occur gradually over time that we just can't see. One thing I noticed though is that you say your nitrate goes from 20ppm to 40ppm in a week. This seems quite a jump especially for a planted tank and maybe wonder if it's overstocked.

Back