• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST

just ordered a 1000+ bulk bag.

I would after lights being on for say 1hr turn the filter off let the tank flow settle, then feed the fish with their normal feed till their no longer interested, use a feeding ring if you have one although easy to make with bit of 6/4mm tubing, then skim any excess food from surface, filter back on then add the Daphnia ;) But as in all matters its your call :thumbup:

I would after lights being on for say 1hr turn the filter off let the tank flow settle, then feed the fish with their normal feed till their no longer interested, use a feeding ring if you have one although easy to make with bit of 6/4mm tubing, then skim any excess food from surface, filter back on then add the Daphnia ;) But as in all matters its your call :thumbup:

Sounds like a plan!
I was just going to throw them in after lights out. :D

Absolutely fantastic. It's great to see this mature so well, and especially from such humble beginnings...that is if you don't count the dimensions of the tank.
Some of the footage looks as though it could have been taken in an actual riverbed.

I am starting to think of this project as less of an aquarium, and more of an "all year round, tropical, underwater garden". Some people spend more than I have to have a nice garden out back, and I would argue mine is well better! :)

Absolutely fantastic. It's great to see this mature so well, and especially from such humble beginnings...that is if you don't count the dimensions of the tank.
Some of the footage looks as though it could have been taken in an actual riverbed.

Thanks Tim. Good timing as I needed a bit of a pat on the back whilst I battle the green water outbreak. Seriously appreciated!

With most things I am happy to let them sort themselves out, but with green water its differen.
I really miss seeing my plants!!! :(

Ive added some "good bacteria" tablets yesterday. Not expecting much.

I've a bunch of daphnia in the post, and a 13w UV submersible bulb of death which i will have to DIY a housing for.

Thanks for the support ao far.
Fil

What I came to realize is that it's difficult to balance ferts at such a big tank. 50% weekly water change at 750 or 1000L is a lot of water.

Little green men have landed...

20181109_180229.jpg

20181109_180219.jpg

Wow never heard of anyone doing a DIY UV reactor before! Following with interest.

I depend heavily on my continuous drip water change.
It drips in aprox 400-600L of water daily

Ta
Fil

Wow Fil, 400-600L is a lot of water... Maybe if you drop the drip system for now, and instead do large water changes for a few days until the green water clears. Then you can go back to the drip system.

Wow Fil, 400-600L is a lot of water... Maybe if you drop the drip system for now, and instead do large water changes for a few days until the green water clears. Then you can go back to the drip system.

Well, I did a large water change yesterday. All my rummies are now dead.
All other fish are fine.

The rummies have been slowly dropping since I got them, I have a suspicion that lots were dying and rotting out of sight, and this has been contributing to (if not causing) the green water.
The large water change yesterday might have finally pushed the rest over the edge.

I am not actually that bothered. Setbacks are part of the game.

Water looks clearer today, might take some pics later on.

Thanks thanks for reading.
Fil

DIY UV's are pretty Intensely rare- because they r dangerous as hell to make

Ive a few advantages, a big one is space in the sump!

Current plan is to use some spare plumbing, and stick a submersible UV bulb inside.
The flow should be provided by the sump, if I get the positioning right.
Bulb still in the post.

20181111_065805.jpg

Thanks for reading
Fil

Awsome monster project!! Realy nicely done...
In the last video you mention the fish freaking out when lights come on!? I assume all comes on at the same time?

If you would controll it not to do that but in stages, you will not freak out the fish but also can create a bit more natural invironmental effect.

I got a simmular setup only way smaller with 5 separate cob led spots lighting the tank. Than i switch on the far right light first (happens to be east side also) Than 15 minutes later i go on to the next, makes it 1 hour 15 minutes before all 5 are on. Actulay creating a kind of a sun rise effect. with switching it off i do the same thing, far right is switched off first and every 15 minutes later the next.. Makes a sun set..

The fun thing also for myself is, since 1 light doesn't realy impact the plants compensation point, so i extended the light periode. And count the periode from all lights on till one shuts off again. I my case it's a low tech and low light in wattage. I do a 10 hour complete cycle and have a 2 hour sun rise/sun set that makes 12 hour light total from a spectators viewing point. It actualy looks pretty cool, seeing lights go on in stages with a shade running through the tank from left to right and visa versa again at switching it off.

Also the fish take it rather will, i sometimes see them gather in the morning closer to the surface at first light on. Instead of freaking out they go towards it.
First light on lights 1/3 of the tanks footprint rather dim and it slowly encreases towards the day to full blast.

Just an idea, you might like to try.. Must be peanuts with a PLC.

Back