• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST

I would only advise UV in large interconnected tank setups (multiple tanks using one filtersystem) to prevent spreading of infections from one tank to another.
I don't know wether it's possible for you ( plumbing and tapwater quality) but i would just put the gardenhose in the sump and leave it running for about an hour or 2/3.

In your case with a sump, it is best to install it in a paralel system with it's own pump. This way you can decide the turnover and regulate it's contact time. You simply run it over the UV and back into the sump, since the water in the sump is constantly refreched you'll get to a treat of the complete volume anyway.

I might do exactly that. Thanks Marcel.

Got all i need exept for the steriliser itself. I've a sweet place where I could put it, and hook it up to the PLC.
Im looking at the pond uv sterilisers from all pond solutions. Need to wait for the bankroll before I buy one. Not sure about the size, 36w 4,500Lph throughput overkill? Could reduce the flow and REALLY irradiate that water...

Thanks for reading.
Fil

I don't know wether it's possible for you ( plumbing and tapwater quality) but i would just put the gard

Thats defo an option. Id have to hook it up to a carbon filter for chlorine.
For now, I fancy seeing what the fuss is about with these UV sterilisers.
Plus, another piece of kit to baffle visitors with, when showing off the tank ;)

Fil

36w 4,500Lph throughput overkill?

I actualy have no idea.. :) But thinking about it, if it were me installing it in the sump i would go with a pump with UV build in. Put it in my sump and let it circulate in there..

It would actualy run as a recycler, if the unit for example is placed in the last sump chamber, than put a hose to so it pumps back over the filter media. Than what it pumps through is actualy filtered again and partialy pass twice or more over the UV again. It a double optimalaztion, it turbo's your filter capacity and UV capacity.

Something like this in diagram.
FP.jpg

I think this way you can suffice with a rather small one if you run it 8 hours a day and it needs to sterilize 2000 litre.. than 4500 lph seems a bit much.

But as said, i never realy used UV in any of my aqauriums. Only did it once for a year and never bought a new one. Never noticed any difference with or without it. But if i would do it again in my sump.. :) I definitively would do it as described above.

Last edited:
Going by the article linked by Ian, the higher the level of exposure, the better for the overall health of the system.
I would prefer to oversize but use less, than undersize and see no benefit.

I like your idea of putting the outflow from the uv, through the sump filter to catch the dead nasties.

Thanks for reading
Fil

And the cleaner the flow through the UV the better effect.

Roger that.

I've a fine polyester batting on the return pump intake. Thinking to T off some flow from that, throught the UV, and into a very fine filter sock, and back into the sump.

Fil

figured out any reason for the deaths?

Not sure we ever can. Best bet, is what we have to settle on.

Best 2 bets i have are:

- weak stock
- something wrong with my water parameters

Either way, I will wait until the tank matures and stabilises before introducing any further fish, and even then I will introduce fish slowly (not 300 at a time!).

Other than that, I try not to dwell.

Thanks for reading
Fil

Absolutely love following this thread/project. I can only dream of having such a tank!!!... Keep up the amazing work and everything will eventually fall into place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either way, I will wait until the tank matures and stabilises before introducing any further fish, and even then I will introduce fish slowly
That's best practice.. :) I guess seeing the size of that beast, it's a setup you would like to enjoy at least for a few years. Lets assume at least 3 or 4 years maybe longer?.. I don't see you rescape it that soon and that easy. But then what are a few months patience compared to the total time you want to keep it running? Impatience is the number 1 pitfall for the majority of lesser experienced aquarists. But this impatience is also fed a bit by general concensus based upon general commercial information since everybody wants to enjoy a stocked aqaurium ASAP. E.g the rule wait at least 6 weeks before stocking is such a rule supported with useless bottles with alledged life filter bacteria.

Anyway, imho and many may not agree, because it just hurts peoples hearts (more to say ego) to look to long at a planted tank without lifestock. An eager for completion beyond common sense..

But first look at your plants to determine the overall maturity. That's all you can see, for the rest you need a microscope and still don't know what your looking at. Or you need inaccurate test strips or what so ever still telling not so very much.

Get your plants to transition completely, meaning stop shedding old material and start growing new growth and wait for this growth to sufficiently mature. Only this can take already much longer than 6 weeks depending on several factors. I personaly rather would say make it 6 months. ;)

A good healthy biological ballance in plant growth, garanties a healthy balanced invironment with good water quality for life stock. An invironment like that aids fish in stress and even can heal the sick ones. Plants in distress, release an ammount of unwanted bioload into the water column, if that cycle yet aint worn out and completed. Than it's a domino effect if lifestock is introduced that needs to be fed and releases an unwanted bioload on top of that.
Stressed plants plus stressed fish don't have sufficient appetite to optimaly consume what you feed, you more likely create more imballance than anithing else.

Patience (is a virtue) in our hobby and it pays off 10 fold.. It's a lesson to many of us learn it the hard way. We pay only with hard cash and a bit of hurt pride for that (which is swiftly forgotton again). But the fish pay with their life (which is obviously irreplacable, they only die once). :)

Last edited:
Might add :) and please don't take it personaly that i'm going to use your own words in this also as metaphore to make a point.

It's next best spot on example of an educated collective thought about fish in general. Because collectively the fish still is one of the least respected lifeforms in the animal kingdom. As if it's life doesn't mean that much to us.. But it should equaly as all others, especialy if you plan to care for it.

You said:
"Im not going to cry over spoilled milk!".

But actualy try to change thought for future lesson/prevention and realise.

"You killed the Cow before you got to any milk."

Than cry a little..

A small plaster on the wound may be another metaphore from Zoologist Konrad Lorenz.
Every single reared to death stickleback, contributed more to wildlife preservation than any sign at a nature park entrance ever did.
But that only holds value if you learn from killing playfully.

:thumbup:

Last edited:
You said:
"Im not going to cry over spoilled milk!".

But actualy try to change thought for future lesson/prevention and realise.

If i understand you correctly, you're assuming I haven't learned from this. That is incorrect.

Simply stating that "I dont cry over spoiled milk", does not mean that I will leave it out of the fridge overnight next time.

"You killed the Cow before you got to any milk.

I disagree, got plenty out of the rummies. They were a joy.

Than cry a little..

Shant, life's too short.
It appears some people think Im not sorry enough. I personally wouldn't assume myself to be morally superior, and go around telling others how they should feel. Its unwise and unproductive.

fish still is one of the least respected lifeforms in the animal kingdom. As if it's life doesn't mean that much to us.. But it should equaly as all others, especialy if you plan to care for it.

Largely agree, with the exception of human life, which I value more.

Thanks for reading
Fil

You still took it personaly it seems, but dunno.. Sorry for that.. It wasn't meant as such and i'm not assuming anything about what you feel or think.. It's more meant as a hopefully helpfull collective message. Not to put any blame.. Hence if it was about that and tell my own story!? Honnestly then i'm as much to blame as anybody else in this hobby or catching fish for sport. Been there done that.. And at some point in life i stoped agreeing and acting to my own ignorant toughts and something changed.

Anyway thank you for reading too..

some current exciting again
Depends on the potential difference. Prior to the EU Directive on 'live working' some UK workshops had earth insulated rooms (workshops insulated from the earth voltage) so that technicians could work on highish voltage equipment without being electrocuted. The potential difference is the key factor. Birds will land and perch on high voltage overhead power lines without ill effect ( in theory you can get a p.d. if your legs are far enough apart, but you need very long legs. Some power companies will or did lower maintenance crew onto very high voltage power lines by helicopter so work could be undertaken without cutting the power.

looking at a large pond type UV unit.
Most pond UV's are clarifiers not sterilizers. As you say its about flow rate and exposure time. The longer the UV tube the better. Pre-filtering is very important. Vecton 600's in parallel would be the smallest for Filip Krupa's set up. Cost of replacement tubes is a factor, the ones in the Vecton 600 are industry standard and can be bought online from a proper electrical supplier at very low prices. I do not trust eBay for this equipment (statements like genuine quarts glass are meaningless, its either glass or quarts). Aimed at the marine marked and at domestic potable water use are much longer units, but the replacement tubes are a tad pricey at the moment.

Deaths aside, I don't regard 300 2cm fish in 2000 liters heavy stocking. I bet the surviving 200 still haven't explored the entire tank.

Depends on the potential difference.

A good example might be, beeing close to a very strong radio signal transmiting antenna in foggy weather. I never experienced first hand, but red reports than you can feel electric current through the atmosphere.. Or simple sparkplug, makes a spark through atmosphere.

Since everything that excists and especialy that what lives is an electrical potential on its own. And for example fish posses certain very sensitive electical sensory organs working with very tiny probably unmeasurable values such as lateral line and others also around their head. It might be that also very small potential differences in electrical force fields from light balasts and ore other forcefield emiting devices can have effect on these organs.

Some experience fish freak out when all lights suddenly come on and others don't. Why is still officialy a mystery.. Read the old aqaurium guides, it's something as old as light in the hobby. And always the light itself was deemd to be the culprit. And the people experiencing contrary were/are ignored. I remember reading in the 1970's the advice about also installing a violet colored tube light. And switch this on first and off last before and after all other light, to create a more natural light cycle to not freak out the fish. And this is also i had for many years, till tube light dimming ballasts became available.

Enough evidence around by now to scratch Lights as suspect a from the list.

A while ago i tried to discuss the issue at another forum.. My theory was completely ridiculed by some alledged knowledgeable electricians.
Instead of saying there might be something going on that we don't know and it needs further investigation i was accused of not understanding electricity and proclaiming bs.

Another brick in the wall?... :banghead:

Last edited:
Back