• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST

The rescape continues.
On the subject of sword plants (again), Ive pulled one out to replant, but noticed how short and chubby the roots are.
My guess would be due to the inert substrate, the roots have been surving a nutrient storage role only.
Im very happy with this, makes my life easier when replanting.

See vid for details.
Also, managed to split it into several plants. Going to have start giving them away.

Thanks for reading
Fil

20181230_141117.jpg

Have you decided on the fish stocking yet or keeping it empty for now?

Not quite decided, although i do have hillstream loaches, otos and bronze cories in.
Only bought 6 cories, but have 10+ now. Its nice to see their numbers grow without my help at all.

I am paranoid about the tank filling up with algae if the RCS get eaten.
I think I will have to get over that fear at some point.

Thanks for reading
Fil

Last edited:
First look below.

Plenty will still change:
- The alternanthera r. pink is growing out of control in the middle.
- The pogostemon I've pulled out will get spread around the tank.
- The rotala macrandra will not stay where it is.
- not 100% sure about the ash branches, more? Less? Tie moss? Tie hygro?

Thanks for reading
Fil

20181231_180842.jpg

I use to have a tank full of pogostemon, I really liked it but it did grow very dense and attracted some string algae.
However I found it really therapeutic to pull out the strands of algae, I used a thin piece of bamboo and twiddled it amongst the bed of pogostemon, I could then slowly remove really long strands of algae that weren’t even visible before hand ... strangely very satisfying :crazy:
Your tank is proving to be an amazing success :clap:

Your tank is proving to be an amazing success

Makes me very happy to hear you say that!

There was quite a lot of (well founded) doubts thrown my way when I first proposed this project on UKAPS.
While its defo not a tank for everyone (for one, you need to be quite fit to work around it), I can confirn that most of those fears where unfounded or could be worked around.

Thanks for reading
Fil

The legend himself? Who wouldnt buy from him!

I'm working on a separate tank to take the surplus for sale. Curious how much demand there will be, guess will see!

Its all good fun.
Fil

I would imagine there would be quite high demand once you get yourself a good reputation. Doesn’t look like you’d struggle with supplying..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Fellow Aquascapers,

I have another mad idea, and I need you to talk me out of it.
Im thinking of getting a silver arowana for the Beast.
Please tell me why I shouldnt!

Also, todays pics below

Thaks for reading
Fil

20190112_131844.jpg
20190112_131908.jpg
20190112_131859.jpg

Looking good, the extra colour really gives it depth.

Silver arowana get 3ft in aquariums and bigger in the wild, they grow quickly and will make your tank look like it kept in a teacup in no time. If you had 2000 gallons it would still be debatable.

I think it is a good idea as when the Arawana grows to big you will be forced to get an even bigger tank and we can all enjoy a new thread...
^ i love this reply it was perfect. lol.

As for my general reply, this is the first time ive checked up on this thread in a bit, holy cow so much looks like its changed!!!!

I am always so jelous when i see this tank, a huuuge scape, healthy plants, pretty automated setup, what else can a man ever want? besides a large fish to go with it.

This scape is definetly making a big mark in the aquascaping history books imo, or at least it is for me. I've seen other large tanks but this is very... unique! Loving the scape and the improvements that go with it dude keep it up.

As for fish ideas: most people would put discus in a tank like that, i'd say that happens fairly commonly. So i wouldn't do that just because its pretty default. Arowana is a good idea, but as peeps have said needs more space eventually... So now you have to think, whats a mid level swimmer that will do great in a 520 gallon tank?
Well a spotted gar would be cool, as i believe they need (basically) a 400 gallon minimum. and you have around 520-530 gallons so your good on that i would think. Only problem is
A: good luck having anything else... other than like bottom feeders.
problem B: sometimes they lash around, + the availability of them is preeetty hard to get a hold of one.

Now i know im listing north american natives but

can we all agree bluegill are pretty cool? lol. They are like the US version of discus sometimes, very colorful. Never decided to have one myself as i dont feel i have a large enough setup :)

Edit:
wish i could buy and sell you plants / trade but im in the US :(

Back