• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

200L Low-Tech Reboot

mikka23

So my previous set-ups always suffered from BBA and other algae problems. I'm looking to do a complete restart on my tank (previous set up):

Tank - 200L Fluval Roma
Light - 2 T8s, each 30w
Filter - 1400 L/H All Pond Solutions
Powerhead - 1600 L/H Koralia

I'm pretty damn poor until I graduate (at least) so budget is pretty tight. A few things to work out:
1. Reflectors don't fit properly anymore so bought some aluminium ones, hopefully manage to fix them in place
2. Looking for cheap black sand as mentioned in substrate subforum, suggestions appreciated.
3. Trying to work out what plants and wood/rocks to have this time. Suggestions appreciated, some factors:
- grow in low levels of light
- do not require extra co2
- preferably thick leaves which are less affected by powerhead

The only plant which will remain from before is the anubias nana on the wood - its really grown a lot, although some growth needs to be attached to the wood.

Any other plants I should consider?
- Java Fern (didnt have success last time for some reason)
- Aponogeton Ulvaceus (first one was great, second one didnt grow at all)
- Nuphar 'Red Spatterdock' Bulb
- Java Moss
- Other Anubias?

Also any LEDs I could use to boost my light if necessary? I have cable ties to mount moonlight LEDs, these could be replaced as they are barely used.

Thanks for any advice

Cheers, any specific recommendations (was planning on ordering from aquaessentials probably)?

I found stem plants rather irritating before, they seemed to come loose a lot and swords never grew very well. Crypts are good suggestion.

PS. Any anubias suitable as a background plant?

The plants were a standard mix from last-trading-post or something on ebay + the aponogeton. I fancy a different, more interesting set-up this time with hopefully less maintenance and more longevity.

Sounds like you want a dirted tank to me. Get some cheap lime free organic top soil or compost (not JI3) should be less than £10 from your local garden centre for 20L probably more around £5. Board the sides with some black gravel of around 1-3mm grain size (this will probably be around £15 for 25kg), stick down about an inch of soil in the middle and cap with about 1" of the gravel. Look in the tutorial section for more detail. The good is now you have a nice cheap substrate for some heavy root feeders in a low tech tank, the bad is that those root feeders will make a mess if you ever want to pull them up again.

As nickmcmechan said crypts and swords are both very good in this type of tank. My swords did better in my low tech tank than they are doing in my high tech tank, the leaves were much bigger and broader. If you want a south american look go with the swords, Asia go with the crypts and Hygro (I to had some problem with stems in low tech but Nomaphila stricta grew quite well). Anubias tanks can look awesome and are of an African flavour, if you don't care throw them all into the same tank.

I would just go through aquaessentials (and other sponsors) and the tropica site and look for low light level plants.

I would also suggest along with your nice rich substrate that you dose KNP + traces once a week, you'll need 3-4 tubs of dry salts (again about £20 for all of them) but that should last you years in a low tech setup.

Yes that sounds like the best option for me, however, the tutorial mentions a mineralization period before adding fish. Problem being I already have a few fish left over from my previous set-up. Would the fact my filter is already cycled mean I could cope with the early releases from the soil?

Yes that sounds like the best option for me, however, the tutorial mentions a mineralization period before adding fish. Problem being I already have a few fish left over from my previous set-up. Would the fact my filter is already cycled mean I could cope with the early releases from the soil?

The answer to this is probably 'it depends'. If you're using newly purchased plants then they'll probably be going through an adjustment phase and may not be taking up a maximal amount of nutrients, so you'll largely be relying on your filter vs whatever the soil is leaching at the start. If your tank is open topped then I could give you some fast growing water cress, pothos and some red rooted floaters to help with any initial ammonia spike (I'm also in Edinburgh), but you may still need to do hefty daily water changes.

I have successfully changed all the soil substrate (about 40 litres) in my tank and immediately restocked the fish without any ill effects, but I was planting almost 100% of the surface area with established plants and emergents, so I can't guarantee you'd have the same success.

I managed it but like Tom i was using about 50% of my old plants, some of the old substrate and the same over sized filter. I was heavy stocked and the first month was low tech. I might of lost my rams to it but nothing else was effected. I say plant heavy and do some big 75% daily wc for the first week and cut it back each week.

Sent from my Radar C110e using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure my bathroom tap is fixed before I make the change. That way the water changes will be incredibly easy. I was going to go for blast grit but seeing as I will need less I can opt for a more expensive top layer gravel/sand.

Tank is not open top.

Looking at possibly the Unipac micro gravel or their limpopo sand... undecided

EDIT: Where would I get black gravel/sand for £15 for 25kg? More likely twice the price the ones I've seen.

Last edited:
Bought some new reflectors from iQuatics which seem to fit, so problem 1 is solved.
Managed to remove the tap aerator and fix a hozelock connector so that is also solved.

Just need to pick up top soil and a big plastic container (temporarily keep fish in) from homebase, then I can order from aquaessentials (who emailed me about a 10% discount which is nice) and get the ferts.

A few additional questions:
1. Is it worth replacing the uv lamp in my filter?
2. Where is the best place to position my overhead?
3. Is it best to keep my anubias in one piece, spread across the wood - or to break it up? Right now its pretty big but its tricky to get some parts to attach to the wood which means loads of long trailing roots.
4. What would the recommended filter media be for an external with 3 compartments? I reckon I may have over-packed with sponges and reduced flow.

Media depends on how crystal clear you want your water. I don't really bother with sponges at all just bio media....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'm not too bothered about crystal clear water. Right now I have sponges>bioballs>ceramic rings.

Picked up top soil and a container today. Sadly will be away from next Thursday so best to delay ordering the rest until I'm back.

Cut the filter outlets a little (need to cut some more) and replaced the UV bulb and some of the media. Going to order from aquaessentials tomorrow. I also need to move something to give the tank some shade, direct sunlight is clearly a big issue right now.

Flow seems worse if anything, maybe just air in the system?

Fair point but I do give my filter a good shake every now and again :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back