• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

208L High Humidity Riparium

hydrophyte

208L High Humidity Riparium

This is a new thread for a riparium that has been set up for several years. I need to go dig up the link to the original journal thread, but it was not updated for a long time.

I had this riparium setup in my house for some time, then it was moved to one of our local garden center retail stores. I serviced it for a while there, then the store personnel took over its care. You could say that it wasn't really maintained for the best display appearances, but the fish and plants were healthy all along.

I decided to start servicing the tank again and get it into better shape. I'm starting this new journal to document its progress.

1-XI-12-tank-I-m1.jpg

Here's a quick shot from this evening. Since this is a high humidity riparium it will feature a number of the emersed aquatic plants that grow well with very moist air, such as crypts, Anubias, Lagenandra and Java fern. However, I wanted to get the planting to fill out farily soon, so I added some larger specimen Spathiphyllum peace lily and leather fern. These two plants can grow as well in an open-top riparium with drier air, but they will also grow well in this setup.

I'll have more pictures on the way soon and include more details on plant selection and other points.

Here's a shot of this setup from three years ago when I had it at home.

30-xi-09-tank-i-b.jpg

The crypts had grown into real nice full specimens. It's going to take a while to get them going like that again.

Looking forward to this one. I have a small vertical viv that I'm looking to go high humidity with. Co2?

Thanks Darrell! That's handy to have that as reference.

This Lagenandra thwaitesii, semi-rare and unusual aquatic aroid, grew very well in the riparium planter. And it developed a spathe, too! You can see over on the left side of that tank shot.

12-XI-12-Lagenandra-thwaitesii-I-m1.jpg

I have been digging up some more old pictures. Here is a plant that makes a real nice emersed specimen for a high humidity riparium setup, Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia. Many crypts have real soft and floppy foliage when you grow them emersed, but C. pontederiifolia is nice and sturdy.

24-i-10-cryptocoryne-pontederiifolia-iii-m.jpg

Here's another crypt that grows very well in a riparium planter, C. wendtii 'Mi Oya'. This one grew into a huge monster of a plant and the color was amazing. I put a layer of real topsoil in the planter and is why it grew so well.

5-xi-09-cryptocoryne-wendtii-ii-m.jpg

Great photos,
love the 'Mi Oya' crypt, ive just purchased on for my tank. It amazes me how loose and 'floppy' it looks emersed....almost like its meant to be underwater to take the weight of those massive leaves!
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Great photos,
love the 'Mi Oya' crypt, ive just purchased on for my tank. It amazes me how loose and 'floppy' it looks emersed....almost like its meant to be underwater to take the weight of those massive leaves!
Ady.

It stands up pretty well so long as you don't disturb it. It also helps to put more sturdy plants, such as Spathiphyllum peace lily, next to the floppy crypts for them to lean on.

Here's another crypt that is great in a riparium planter, C. wendtii 'Tropica'. This plant develops especially wild colors when you grow it emersed. I am sorry that I didn't get a better picture--this shot is so dark--while I had this nice specimen.

cryptocoryne-wendtii-tropica-i-m.jpg

I was over to service this thing the other night and I got this quick picture...

26-XI-12-tank-I-m1.jpg

The planting is coming along OK. There are certain other plants that I want to add, but I have had a chance to round them all up.

The next time I go over there I'm going to bring some crypts to plant in the underwater area. That will help to brighten it up. I'll also bring a toothbrush and clean up those rocks.

Wow I've read loads of your threads offer the last couple of weeks both here and on other US sites and I love the riparium it's so natural looking and I'd love one but I don't think anyone over here supplies the proper floating islands and baskets which is a shame. Am I right in thinking that you are the owner of riparium supply?

Back