• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

212-liter Riparium

hydrophyte

I have a few pictures documenting my current new project, a riparium setup in a 212-liter "column" tank.

4-ix-09-tank-i-s.jpg

This one is 76cm wide X 45cm deep X 60cm tall--a good shape for a riparium, with plenty of depth front-to-back. My general idea is for a very low maintenance display. It will contain hardy plants with low to moderate lighting.

For now I just have the tank set up in a provisional way on a bench in my shop. I stuck some plants in there so that they could begin to acclimate to conditions inside the tank. I also introduced some substrate so that it could begin to cycle. I put the gravel and sand in shallow plastic trays so that I could more easily remove it when tearing down and moving the riparium to its more permanent location.

12-viii-09-tank-i-s.jpg

I have a few observations to relate on the plants and I will add more later. I am working on a fish stocking list too.

I'm looking forward to this one with particular interest, any chance you could list what plants you are using?

Do these have any ferts added here and is the lighting set up at the level you are proposing to use once set-up?

Cheers, Al

I haven't made any new headway with this tank, but I do have a plant update. The African mask plant (Alocasia amazonica) is growing really well.

22-x-09-alocasia-amazonica-ii-s.jpg

Although this is is quite a popular plant, I have encountered only scant references to growing it in pond marginal conditions with saturated media. Most of the descriptions that I have found indicate that it prefers "moist but well-drained" substrate conditions. In this setup it is thriving in a riparium planter submerged almost all the way to the plant's crown. It has great root development.

22-x-09-alocasia-amazonica-i-s.jpg

Back