• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

2217 left off for a month

fleabilly

I have been busy taking care of too many things this month.
Broke down my tank, and left my eheim 2217 off with stagnate water in it. I assume the bacteria is all dead (hence the smell). If i want to get it back up and running, what should I do?

Cheers

R

Sent

I maybe completely wrong... But I think the bacteria may of definitely multiplied over and over.. I'm assuming it would be perfect conditioning for bacteria? But that's just me on a whim lol who knows

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

dead as a dodo mate, no flow means no oxygen for the bacteria. Give it all a good wash and she'll be good to go... you could add new media if you wish as would guess the surface area might be limited by being blocked up by dead goo.

What about just bleaching the old media?
Or running it through the dishwasher, then cycling it with water a few days?
I'm in no hurry to get back up an running.
I have soil soaking and need to test my flow and plumbing.

R

Sent

With bleaching the media it depends on the type of media and the concentration of bleach. Sponges can fall apart so are better sterilised with boiling water; I think ceramic media fares better with bleach. Certainly sounds like a good idea to run some bleach through the empty filter though (obviously using dechlor in final rinse).

Yes
I'd rather not have to buy new media.(apart from the floss)

But at the moment boiling media in a diluted bleach.
Along with the blue sponges, which seem pretty hardy.
I'll see how they fare.

Cheers

R

Sent

Back