• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

2217 with dual intakes...?

fleabilly

I lucked out and found a 2217 on gum tree for £40 including delivery that evening. A bit large for my 100l tank, but I have amazing flow, and the tank is super clean. (Not to mention that the 2217 is far quieter than the 2213 I replaced)<br /><br />but i have a dead corner where no the water and gunk is still. the spray bar is on the left shooting across the top. i drilled more holes in the spraybar shooting down to circulate the water through the tank. the intake is in the far left corner, with a prefilter mounted to dumb down the flow.( after reading a post from ceg4048, I bought some clear tubing and plan on running the spraybar along the back wall 80cm long) The 2217 has the larger intake hose. I was wondering if anyone has ever split the intake 22/16 to the 12/16 hose and mounted dual intakes in the corners? I have read of dual canisters, to get the corners, but I figured because I am a bit over filtered, that I could split the intake and get rid of the dead flow space. Is there any logic to this? <br /><br />Cheers<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hello,
Yes, if you have two intakes then it's a great idea to put them in different locations to ensure that you pull out the dirt. The intakes locations don't really have an appreciable effect on the flow patterns, it's the outflow that handles the majority of that job.

Cheers,

I was looking at plumbing to split my intake,
and fish fur feather has 16mm pipe.
Can I use that throughout, intake and out?

I wanted to also plumb the spray bar and take both the intakes and the spraybar through the tank via bulkheads.
I figured that even though I would be using larger tubing for the spraybar (16mm instead of 12mm) the amount and size of the holes are the same, therefore flow would be the same... Right?

Fish fur and feather does not sell a 16mm strainer,
So I will need to figure out how I need to address that.
They do sell a 20mm but concerned that it would effect my flow.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

R

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Umm...I'm a little confused. Split your intake? Didn't you just mention that the filter comes with two intakes? Or did I get that wrong?

In any case, flow is only penalized when you choke the fluid path by reducing the pipe diameter. So using less than your 12mm ID pipe anywhere in the path is penalized, but flow does not care if you use larger than nominal piping, so you can speed up the exit stream velocity by using smaller holes if you find that it is too slow. Just make sure the total sum of the holes don't fall below the (6)^2*Pi nominal cross sectional area.

Cheers,

It is a 2217 with a single 16ID intake
I wanted to split it into 2 12mm intakes in the corners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would stick with the 16mm for the dual intake you are planning.IMHO
Would not want to restrict the intakes by going with smaller ID tubing.

Back