• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

234 watts in a 96 litre tank over kill ?

lil-lynx

hello i have seen a light unit i could make which has 6 x 39watt t5HO light tubes would this be over kill ? the times ( ever 2 tubes are run on a plug so 3 plugs in all )

8-11 two bulbs on one plant grow one sun tube
11-1 all tubes on miday burst
1-6 2 or 4 tubes on not sure
6-7:30 two moon light tubes or might try to wire just one up and run the other light on a different plug.

if i did run 234 watts on this size tank (30"x15"x15") how many bbs would i need to stop algie ? and what are the out come of this much light and if you would change the timeing what would you have it as ?

just worked my wpg out i did 234 ( amount of watts of light) divied by 21 ( amount of gallons i have ) it came up with 11.142857 does that mean i will have 11 wpg :O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overkill for sure, in my view.

Your CO2, circulation and nutrient management would all need to be absolutely spot on to prevent algae issues.

We're talking a razor edge line between uber-fast plant growth and nightmarish algae trouble.

If you fancy a challenge then go for it!

Personally I'd stick with 2 x 39w over that size tank. You'll still be able to grow any plant you wish. And your energy consumption and risk of algae will be a much much lower.

Will all due respect to the APC member I doubt it is feasable to keep any planted aquarium long-term algae-free with that much light (assuming all lamps on), unless the photoperiod is limited. For me it is simply a waste of energy and resources; but each to their own.

Agree with George, on my 120 liter tank I have been running with 144w of light for testing stem growth and the margin for error is very little, trying to keep CO2 at the right levels is the challenge. So i might just reduce it back to 96w again :)

yep, major overkill, for all the reasons Geroge states.
I can grow anything with 72w over 160l and am currently running just 48w and getting good growth.

ok i think i will stick to my twin 39w t5 ho tubes :) thanks for all the comments i think i will give it a miss but might buy it for my 5ft aquarium what you guys thing ? but it will be like a spot like in the middle ermmmmm ?

lil-lynx said:
i take it i wouldent need a heater :p lol welli have seen one i can buy why would they make it this size to fit over a 3foot tank if its over kill ? ? but i just had a look at this http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... beast.html and it seems fine any comments ? of addvice befor i buy it or if not to buy it ?

Having partial read the thread + replies - 2 days after fitment of the lighting hood "OUTBREAK of "GSA", neglected to state fertz regime, now decided to sell it - I wonder why :?:

Regards
paul.

ooo nice spot. THANKS ! paul u have help me today lol one the plant id and now this. you are the dogs b******ks

so should i just keep to 79watts of 2 t5ho in this size tank ?

i dont no i typed in to gollge " 100 litres in to gallons " so im not sure why ?

Back