24/7 photoperiod hurt?

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by Fred Dulley, 12 Oct 2008.

1. Fred Dulley

Fred Dulley Member

I was asked this question today by a costumer and didn't quite know the answer.
    I explaining that plants didn't need any more than 10hours to photosythesise and that I thought the plants required night time to respire. The reason the costume asks is because their vallisneria was going brown.
    So, can a 24/7 photoperiod "hurt" plants?

2. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

I don't know... I don't think it would be very good for them because as you said, they need night and day to photosynthesise and respire.

If there's livestock in the tank though, they need night to rest so...yeah. :)

3. GreenNeedle

GreenNeedle Member

At the end of the day the plant rests when it has had enough so even if I am not answering the 'can it hurt' question I would say what is the point.

After 12 hours it is highly unlikely that the plant will 'do' anymore so you may as well turn the lights out.

AC

4. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Id say yes, plants need night to recover and move the sugars around the plant.

Sam

5. Fred Dulley

Fred Dulley Member

Thanks Sam :)