• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

240 Litre Triangle Composition

Barry Hannah

Had my scape up and running for a few months now and after some advice on improvements etc, feel it needs a bit more planting just not sure exactly what.

I was keen to keep an "empty" area on the left-hand side hence the sand but finding it a bit too large and a bit tricky keeping the sand looking nice and clean.
So think I need to change this area, maybe some more small pieces of elderly stone, more carpeting plants?

I do like the very low growing carpeting pants something like Hemianthus Callitrichoides "Cuba" but not sure this will go seeing as I have some Eleocharis acicularis Mini along the front at the moment.

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20220410_193914646.jpg
    PXL_20220410_193914646.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 582
Edit: previous idea was rubbish.
You could use the carpet plant you mention but soften the transition with some other foreground plants and smaller stones perhaps.

I think it looks really good. I'm not a scaper but would perhaps suggest extending the carpet along the back of the tank to the end and having a open space in the front right. Basically making the sand area a curved section so it doesn't transition so abruptly. You could extend your nice stone work into the area and just do more of the same.

Also zooming in on your picture. It looks like your carpet is creeping forward and soon to occupy that space anyway.
Yes it does seem to be creeping which is great, just note quite sure how much to let it take up.

I was thinking of getting rid of all the sand and planting the whole area, but then thought I might keep some of the sand?

I think it looks really good. I'm not a scaper but would perhaps suggest extending the carpet along the back of the tank to the end and having a open space in the front right. Basically making the sand area a curved section so it doesn't transition so abruptly. You could extend your nice stone work into the area and just do more of the same.
Thanks very much, yes that is kind of what I was thinking.

Will try and get some smaller stones and have a play, will add some pictures soon as I do.

Made a bit of a change this morning, not 100% sure on the shape yet but going to add a couple of small elderly stones then plant the left hand side of the soil with a low growing carpeting plant merging into the current carpeting plant.

Attachments

• PXL_20220418_114323653.jpg
    PXL_20220418_114323653.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 167
  • PXL_20220418_114404814.jpg
    PXL_20220418_114404814.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 147
  • PXL_20220418_114415022.jpg
    PXL_20220418_114415022.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 153
That will help break up 'the void'! At the moment everything stops where the wood ends, all the beautifully planted part leads you to....an empty space.
With the extra carpeting plants & more stone you'll look at the whole tank.
How about adding another twiggy branch leading on to the new carpeted area leaving it bare to give a little height without solidity?

That will help break up 'the void'! At the moment everything stops where the wood ends, all the beautifully planted part leads you to....an empty space.
With the extra carpeting plants & more stone you'll look at the whole tank.
How about adding another twiggy branch leading on to the new carpeted area leaving it bare to give a little height without solidity?
Yes was hoping to break the void up but keep it open heightwise so the low-growing carpeting plants should be great.

Should be getting the extra pieces of elderly stone this week and may well add some extra wood if it still looks a bit open.

Just not sure of the shape of the sand, stone area yet

This is looking beautiful!!!

Love to see it as the new additions mature.

My only feedbakc is perhaps some more wood coming out further from the right as when you look at the new additions, you almost miss the wood on the right altogether - but even without it still look great!

Back