• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

24l/5g Nano

Hi Mowze

This will look great when it's grown in.
I prefer this layout a lot more :thumbup:

Mowze said:
Did a quick re-scape, its late and I really should be getting to bed but this was bugging me and I wouldn’t have slept if I didn’t!
Oh, how I know what you mean :lol:

Hi, amazing scape so far....

I'm really not sure about the hardscape something just doesnt feel right its not dynamic enough, the hills don’t look right because they are the same height, too late to change it much now anything with the plants settling in moving rocks would be too destructive. Maybe once the pogo and hairgrass grow out it will make it feel a bit better.
At the first glance something caught my eye as well with the rocks. It is probably as Garuf pointed you have used 2 different rock formations. The rocks on the left are all leaned to the right and the ones on the right are arranged pointing upward and spreading outward.
As see two options:
1) Point 2 very left rocks to the left creating upward spreading outward look.
2) Point 2 very right rocks to the left creating two rock formations that would lean toward each other.
Have a look here:
http://www.aquajournal.net/na/iwagumi/ (especially styles section)

Now this all does not make sense anymore as you have changed the layout :)
I personally did like the first one much much more and with a little adjustment it would have looked perfect...
:thumbup:

Tank has been filled since Sunday now, doing really well especially the HC carpet which has EXPLODED since I filled the tank and pearling like mad! The pogo isn’t doing so great with the transition from emmersed to immersed and I’m getting a little bit of melt although there is evidence of a little new growth. I got rid of the hairgrass in favour of using some stem plants and Blyxa, for the moment I have Micranthemum umbrosum until next Thursday when I can order some more plants for it. I chose to go for stems in the end as I can grow it out and trim it to give a bit more of a busy textured feel to the background and maybe some colour if I decide to add some smaller red stem plants.
From day one I have been dosing NPK daily along with JBL ferropol 24 and JBL ferropol (split into 7 daily doses rather than a single one off dose.) I am also dosing easy carbo at a double dose of 2ml a day as I am getting a little green hair algae, this isn’t the normal hair algae I am used to rather than bushy soft green clumps this is more like single long wiry strands growing in various places but at the moment nothing that isn’t manageable!
I also dropped the lights down to a single 24w Arcadia plant pro T5 rather than the double 24w 6400k daylight bulbs I had before and this is much more aesthetically pleasing as well as working wonders for the plants!
Filtration is an old school 103 I have had for YEARS and still works brilliantly, I filled it with mature media from another aquarium and am also using it as a CO2 reactor which works very well with very high (nearly 100%) dissolving although up the CO2 to about 5-10BPS (it is normally at around 1-2BPS) which will overfill the canister it sends out a very nice fine mist of CO2.

08042010440.jpg

08042010426.jpg

08042010418.jpg

08042010433.jpg

P.s. Sorry for the poor quality of photos, unfortunately I broke my camera yesterday so I had to use my phone until I get it replaced!

This tank is fantastic! I wish I could have a tank as green as this :lol: How much JBL Ferropol do you pour in weekly?

Thanks, Celestial.

Very nice, I thought ferropol was just iron however?

Celestial, Mowze states that he doses every day rather than once a week.

I meant like how much ml per week of the normal Ferropol not Ferropol 24.

Thanks, Celestial.

wow. :woot: first time i looked at this journal, i didn't really look at the title, and i thought it must be at least 5ft. i don't know how it's possible to fit such a great scape in a tiny tank.

cheers :D

Celestial said:
This tank is fantastic! I wish I could have a tank as green as this :lol: How much JBL Ferropol do you pour in weekly?

Thanks, Celestial.

Garuf said:
Very nice, I thought ferropol was just iron however?

Celestial, Mowze states that he doses every day rather than once a week.

I overdose slightly with 0.5ml of JBL Ferropol and 1 drop of JBL Ferropol daily giving me a total of 3.5ml Ferropol and 7 drops of JBL Ferropol 24 daily (should be around 0.35 daily Ferropol and ½ drop JBL Ferropol 24 daily for this size aquarium) Both preparations contain Iron and most of the required Micro and Macro nutrients plus a few extra elements in the Ferropol 24 all with the exception of NPK which I dose daily separately along with 1ml daily of Easycarbo.
I am overdosing these slightly to allow for the fact that the substrate does not contain any nutrients and should absorb any excess hence dosing daily rather than dosing all in one go where nutrients may be absorbed by the end of the week. I do a 50% water change on Sunday and begin dosing all over again, water changes are done with pure RO water with no additives required as the *@#$ Manado substrate seems to buffer the KH to around 70-80ppm and the GH to 140ppm (something you don’t exactly want from a plant substrate considering the fact that already does not provide anything really beneficial to a planted aquarium as it is.)
Speaking of JBL Manado, DONT BUY IT, it really is a @#$£ Substrate, it provides very little to a planted aquarium and effects the water chemistry way more than it should (Raises KH and GH A LOT!) Next time I see the JBL rep I will be making a few complaints to him about this product. I made the mistake of buying a 25L bag of the stuff when it first came out back in September, used a little in a few tanks and now I am stuck with about 15L of what is a next to useless substrate... I’m just going to bin the rest of the bag I have left.

pest control said:
wow. :woot: first time i looked at this journal, i didn't really look at the title, and i thought it must be at least 5ft. i don't know how it's possible to fit such a great scape in a tiny tank.

cheers :D

I really could do with a name for this aquarium but I am way too technically minded and unimaginative to provide anything more than the specifications of the aquarium used!
I think I owe the unusual dimensions in comparison to the usual nano aquariums you see a lot when it comes to the way it looks so much larger than it is. It really does feel like a scaled down 4ft aquarium when you look at it and I guess if you doubled the dimensions in each direction then it really would give you the standard dimensions for a 4ft aquarium (120x40x40cm!) I’m seriously considering getting another one of these aquariums drilling it, adding a weir and making it into a systemised (sumped) pico marine aquarium I recon with these lights and some extra equipment you could utilise both T5s and go for SPS corals and it would a lot bigger than it really is! A serious DIY project in the pipeline!

New pictures to update soon after the next waterchange, come Sunday it will have been a full 2 weeks full and considering I am still only half way through the second week of actually having water in it the growth has EXPLODED! I think the emmersed start helped a lot but as soon as there was nutrients and CO2 circulating around the plants the HC went absolutely MENTAL!

Edit1.jpg

Edit2.jpg

Another update, again pictures (and editing) aren’t too great as I am still stuck using my camera phone! Tank will have been filled 3 weeks come Sunday and the growth from all the plants is fantastic! Added a few more stem plants in favor of the hair grass that was in there initially which have quite a bit of growing out to do yet. I also added some red crystal shrimp and assassin snails.

Plants are:
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Pogostemon helferi
Micranthemum umbrosum
Micranthemum micranthemoides
Rotala wallichii

Plants are pearling VERY heavily within 30 mins of the light coming on.

For those who want to know my daily dosing regime:
3ppm NO3
0.15ppm PO4
0.5ml JBL Ferropol
1 Drop JBL Ferropol 24
1ml Easycarbo

The NPK is a bit on the lean side, I was dosing 5-6ppm NO3 and 0.5ppm PO4 every other day but I have reduced it slightly and upped the dosing to daily as I was getting a fair bit of algae growth and I am still wary dosing NPK in excess in a nano tank.

50% RO water change every Sunday.

DIY CO2 (2x 2L bottles of yeast and sugar.) direct into filter intake with near 100% dissolution rate/occasional misting via plastic lilly. Air pump to filter outlet on timer that goes on when the lights go off and turns off about 1 hour before lights on
External fluvial 103 approx 400LPH with mature Ehiem substrat pro as media (no sponges or floss)
No heating yet, will add one when I introduce fish, heater cable maintains at about 20c
1x 24w T5 Arcadia plant pro + 24w 6700k Hagen Day glo for photography only. Light is currently suspended 5cm from water surface but can be raised/lowered on the chain for increasing/decreasing intensity or for maintenance as required.

I would really like to get pressurised CO2 and glass/acrylic lilly pipes on here but at the moment I cant afford it.

nelson said:
this is a fantastic tank.whats happening in the back right corner.

Not much really! That is where the filter intake normally sits (I took it off to take photos) there is a stem plant there which I am unsure what species it is that has not really done a great deal of growing. I'm waiting for the stems around the back to grow out still so that I can start pruning them and shaping the planting a bit more which should hopefully enable me to hide the equipment a little better.

Back