• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hi, everybody. I just wanted to show you my low-tech \ nano tank.
The tank is Wave Box 40 Cosmos (25 liters), with a small internal corner filter, heater and the light originally included was a 20W Cosmos Freshwater, but I recently changed it to a 25W light (1400 lumen, 6500K).

Currently I have:
10 x Paracheirodon simulans
2 x Paracheirodon innesi and 1 Paracheirodon innesi 'Gold'
3 x Caridina multidentata (syn. C japonica)
3 x Guppies
1 x Neritina pulligera
Some Theodoxus fluviatilis
Some baby Neocaridina davidi shrimp (probably a cross between 'Red Sakura' and 'Red Cherry'.

Plants:
Bolbitis heudelotii
Microsorum 'Narrow Leaf'
Anubias 'Nangi'
Cryptocoryne petchii 'Pink'
Cryptocoryne parva
Aegagropila linnaei

Creeping Moss - Vesicularia sp.
Round Pellia - Lomariopsis lineata

I added Cryptocoryne petchii 'Pink' some days ago, so it still has to adapt and start to grow.

zisle0.jpg

Last edited:
Just white-amber fine sand. The only plants that are root feeders are Cryptocoryne parva and C. petchii 'Pink'. I have had C. parva for about a year now growing in that sand using fert tabs only a few times. It just grows very slowly, and I think C. petchii will do the same. I don't need them to grow fast, so it's ok.

Very natural looking scape! Well done!

Beautiful, very healthy low tech. Hopefully I can simulate something like this in a tiny tank I might be setting up this year!

Thank you again!
I wanted a low tech because I want to enjoy a tank without constantly dosing fertilisers and trimming plants. All my plants are slow growers, so results are not immediate.
For example in the left corner I'm still waiting for Microsorum 'Narrow Leaf' to grow new leaves. It's rhizomes are starting to send new ones. Hope its leaves wont grow too long. Maybe Microsorum 'Trident' fronds would have stayed shorter. In case it grows too big, I'll replace it with something else.

I'm very interesting how's your petchii pink will grow in low tech. Any close-up pictures? Maybe in few weeks after it settles properly?

Thank you again!
I wanted a low tech because I want to enjoy a tank without constantly dosing fertilisers and trimming plants. All my plants are slow growers, so results are not immediate.
For example in the left corner I'm still waiting for Microsorum 'Narrow Leaf' to grow new leaves. It's rhizomes are starting to send new ones. Hope its leaves wont grow too long. Maybe Microsorum 'Trident' fronds would have stayed shorter. In case it grows too big, I'll replace it with something else.
In my experience, I'd say Trident's leaves would grow bigger, as they are bulkier than the narrow leaf. Looking forward to seeing it grow in!

Yes, I'll take some pics of C. petchii when it starts to send out new leaves.
I think that its leaves won't be pink because it has not lot of light and nutrients, but I was searching a brown-bronze Cryptocoryne that doesn't grow too big, and when I saw C. petchii 'Pink' I bought it because it doesn't get very tall and with not perfect growing conditions its leaves are brown-dark green, just the color I was looking for.

And I am talking about Microsorum 'Narrov Leaf', which is said to have fronds about 2cm wide and 20 - 30 cm long. But maybe only adult and old plants reach that size, I don’t know.
Microsorum 'Needle Leaf' is a different cultivar. It's fronds are less than 1cm wide and 10cm long. But I read that it grows extremely slow.
I saw Microsorum 'Trident' with very thin fronds and a lenght of about 15cm, so I thought that it's size was more similar to 'Needle Leaf'.

Last edited:
16/02/2015 Update

Round Pellia Grows really slow, almost not at all, and has many brown spots and holes. I don't know if that's handling damage or Theodoxus fluviatilis snails eating it.
Cryptocoryne petchii 'Pink' started to grow a bit with nice little brown\olive green leaves.
I don't like how Creeping Moss looks in the back and I want to replace it with Anubias 'Petite' or 'Bonsai', or some Cryptocoryne that doesn't grow too tall.

2liwnzs.jpg

s441z4.jpg

2lvcmzn.jpg

Thanks. I'm thinking about take out those rocks and put black ones. Maybe the darker color could give more contrast with the sand which in a little tank is good.

Back