• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: purple schist stone (and cheap CO2)

That's 110kg worth. And here are a few tiny pieces in the small tank I've just stuck in at random to see how they look under aquarium lights.

And they look fab! Really nice colours, even in these small bits. Can't wait to see the full version! :D

mikeappleby said:
Ordered a couple of 3.15kg CO2 bottles from London Beer Gas today. At £24 delivered, that's the cheapest I can find in London - and is 11 times cheaper than buying 'aquatic' CO2 like this which would cost £270 for the same amount :woot:.

Mike, could you tell me how tall that bottle stands with a reg on it? Just about lost all patience with my D-D disposable kit but it's the only thing I can find that will fit into my cabinet upright.

Re: 259L bookcase tank - purple schist stone

also, do you have to put a deposite on those bottles?

hotweldfire said:
Mike, could you tell me how tall that bottle stands with a reg on it? Just about lost all patience with my D-D disposable kit but it's the only thing I can find that will fit into my cabinet upright.

60cm, £40 deposit.

Antipofish said:
no qualms about you nicking a bucket of sand from a beach

It just appeared in my car. Nothing to do with me.

sarahtermite said:
And they look fab! Really nice colours, even in these small bits. Can't wait to see the full version! :D

Cheers. Tank arrives on Saturday.

mikeappleby said:
hotweldfire said:

60cm, £40 deposit.

Antipofish said:
no qualms about you nicking a bucket of sand from a beach

It just appeared in my car. Nothing to do with me.

Brushed off the bottom of your shoes a few thousand times huh ? LMAO :thumbup:

diy pipes

Here's how to make cheap, nice looking pipes.

1. Order in some PVC pipe - for 16/22 hose use 16mm (internal)/20mm pipe. (Eheim hard plastic green tubing is 14/20 so this actually gives better flow than the Eheim supplied stuff).

2. Get a pipe bending spring. 15mm is fine - it has to be a bit less than the internal diameter of the PVC pipe.

3. Put a painstripping gun on the floor and rotate the pipe with the spring inside it over the heat until it begins to 'sag' a little. If it blisters you've gone too hot.

diy%20lilly%205.jpg

4. Bend the pipe, slowly, a little at a time.

diy%20lilly%206.jpg

5. Carefully does it. Bend it section by section. Water under the tap 'sets' a section quickly. Best to pull the spring out for each new 'bend' otherwise it can get stuck - the picture below is an example of what not to do! Spring basically got stuck.

diy%20lilly%207.jpg

(Have done a lilly before by blowing into the pipe while blocked at the end, but now can't be bothered!)

diy%20lilly%204.jpg

Need long stems on this tank

diy%20lilly%203.jpg

6. For the intakes have tried three methods:

...drilling small holes. Not perfect - constantly get plants stuck, especially HC.

diy%20lilly%203%20%281%29.jpg

...supergluing a piece of cheap sieve netting over a cut out portion. Jury is out, though is unexpectedly and unattractively glaring white under water. Also a nightmare to glue with superglue - just wouldn't stick.

diy%20lilly.jpg

Might use a metal sieve next time.

diy%20lilly%201%20%281%29.jpg

...using a jigsaw to cut a series of lines in the pipe - my newest ruse and looks most similar to the ADA style. By my calculations, 8 * 1mm cuts half way across any tube would give the same surface area as a cross section - so maybe 10 are needed or fewer if they go more than half way across.

Untitled.tiff

(Need to seal the end - just heat and push together with pliers - before cutting, otherwise it all sags... This one was a bit of an experiment, will do neater next time and file the bits right. Have to say the extreme close up is a bit unflattering! o_O)

diy%20lilly%202%20%281%29.jpg

7. Bish bash bosh:

diy%20lilly%202.jpg

On both sides. Mounted to the wall (for reasons that will become clear) with tool clips (covered in felt so no scratches) so they're easy to slide up and down.

diy%20lilly%201.jpg

Simples!

Attachments

• diy%20lilly%202%20%281%29.jpg
    diy%20lilly%202%20%281%29.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 140
  • diy%20lilly%202.jpg
    diy%20lilly%202.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 146
  • diy%20lilly%201.jpg
    diy%20lilly%201.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 170
Hardscape and layout

Right. It's arrived, in place and planted up. Love the open top - so much better. But a lot bigger than I'd expected :shh:. Have to say, not quite as good quality as I'd have liked. Silicone is a bit thick and the panels don't line up precisely. Was from AC Aquatics. Don't think I'd recommend. But once it's filled, you don't really notice.

Anyway, here's the setup:

tank%20build%20compendium.001.png

Back and sides of tank are frosted with film, which was a bit of a hassle, but seems to be giving a much more even light at the back. Front is optiwhite.

On to the hardscape. Here's the rock selection. The big bits are massive so broke one of them up.

tank%20build%209.jpg

Here's a test run with some rocks on substrate:

tank%20build%208.jpg

Card dividers and sand in.

tank%20build%207.jpg

Rocks in.

tank%20build%206.jpg

Divider out.

tank%20build%205.jpg

Filling up... bit of bubble wrap works an absolute treat. Water almost perfectly clear.

tank%20build%204.jpg

tank%20build%203.jpg

Planted up. Had lots more plants than I thought in the little tank - loads on runners.

tank%20build%202.jpg

And water clear (with the help of a bit of purigen).

tank%20build.jpg

A few neon tetras and some amanos in just to make sure it's ok.

The filter is swapped from the small tank so at least that is fully cycled. Am full EI dosing with 5ml easycarbo a day, 9 hrs of two 36w T5, and CO2 injection through an am1000 - crystal clear water but a bit hard to get the bubble rate right, as is my first time with such a big tank. Flow from the Eheim Pro3 and the the external pump is far more than I need - if I turn the pump up full it's about 15 times... The custom pipes are working really well - very pleased with the intakes and my custom lilly.

Fingers crossed :D How's it looking? (Here's a link to a higher resolution picture.) Any suggestions? :thumbdown: :thumbup: :wave:

Re: 259L bookcase tank - planted up!

Hi Mike,
a very interesting and well thought through set up, one to follow for sure. It certainly brightens up a bookcase! :lol:
Amazing ingenuity and skill on the homemade lily pipes and intakes, they are fantastic and probably saved you a small fortune.
I like the height created by the larger stones, and due to this and their narrower proportions i think the scape would suit a shoal of angelfish, thats what i instantly pictured cruising around anyway.... obviously you have other plans though with the addition of shrimp and neons. Alternatively a shoal of smaller mid/high water fish, (maybe rainbows) would look great, the possibilities are endless!
The small sandy cove to the left is very intriguing and itll be nice to see how this works when the plants fill in. Only one small critique, the right hand side could do with a slightly larger, or more upright rock (than the largest, most foreground) to balance with the rest of the scape. Thats only to my untrained eye mind you, and it does look great regardless. :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Wow,...Mike,....this is amazing. I like that sandy cove to the left too. What are those 2 tall looking plants at the end of that sandy path called? They really look nice.

259L bookcase tank - planted up!

Ady34 said:
a shoal of angelfish, thats what i instantly pictured cruising around anyway

Last time i had them they ate all my shrimp :twisted:

Ady34 said:
Only one small critique, the right hand side could do with a slightly larger, or more upright rock (than the largest, most foreground) to balance with the rest of the scape. Thats only to my untrained eye mind you, and it does look great regardless. :thumbup:

Think you're right looking at it. Will wait for it to grow in a bit more properly, then may reassess. Really helpful.

faizal said:
Wow,...Mike,....this is amazing. I like that sandy cove to the left too. What are those 2 tall looking plants at the end of that sandy path called? They really look nice.

Cheers :clap: Plant is Limnophila aromatica - gets really red under high light and grows brilliantly. Highly recommend it.

mikeappleby said:
Cheers :clap: Plant is Limnophila aromatica - gets really red under high light and grows brilliantly. Highly recommend it.

Got this growing like a weed but the most colour I get out of it is a slight pink tinge when it hit's the surface. Maybe it's time for more light hahaha. :thumbup: :D

mikeappleby said:
One of my amano shrimp just ambushed, dragged to the bottom and ate an ottocinclus. Has anyone seen this before?

Hi Mike,
never heard of that before, ive heard of shrimp becoming fish food but never vice versa, especially taking a live fish!
Very unusual... hopefully it wont become a recurring theme!
Ady.

have you been feeding both shrimp and otos' ?

Back