• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

2kg CO2 life?

Gary Nelson

Hi,

Can any of you advise me on how long you would expect a 2kg to last on a 180litre tank?

I am running 3 x 24w T5's on 7hrs per day - co2 comes on one hour before lights and goes off one hour before lights out.

Cheers, Gary

i think this is a piece of string situation 35kg has lasted me nearly 4 months on a 760l tank at 1.7 WPG wth t5 lighting and 18 dGH and 10 dKH water and medium plant stocking maybe if we all gather enough information some sort of maths/ computer genius can write a program that would be able to give a ball park figure. as this is a common question

so here comes the piece of string per litre of water a week i use 2.7g of co2 fox fish uses 1g of co2 so im nearly 3 times higher with less light. these are very rough figures someone might need to check them. but if im even %50 right getting a ball park number will take a lot more info(and less Guinness :) )

Hi viper3770

I run a 180 litre, lighting (90W T5's) on for 7 hours a day and CO2 is maxed out :rolleyes: .
I get between 10 & 12 weeks out of a 2kg FE :D .
Might I suggest you turn it on 2 hours before lights on and turn it off 2 hours before lights out. Just gives you a bit more wiggle room if your circulation is a bit suspect, that's all.
Lights on is the most critical part of the lighting period to have your CO2 saturation at it's best.

My favorite subject ! The following equation will give you the life of a gas cylinder in days.

No days = 36141 * (weight of gas in kg) / (bubble count in b/s)*(hours per day) * (bubble radius cubed)

For example:
Bubbles from my JBL bubble counter are approx 6mm diameter (3mm radius) so
2kg @ 3b/s for 10 hrs/day would last approx -
(36141 * 2)/3*10*(3*3*3) = 89 days (3 months)

My cylinder is approx 3kg and lasts about 6months @ 3bs for 7hrs/day

Imagine spending £100 at 10p per hour for 10hrs/day - it would last 100 days! 1kg of co2 expands to about 550l if released so it's just a question of working out how many bubbles equates to this volume

Estimating bubble counter size is probably the hardest part but it's dead easy to program into a spreadsheet so you can see how bubble size/duration/ bubble rate effects cylinder life.

Depends on the tank, one every 14 weeks for my old 60cm. It's much more like one every 6 months for my current 20l.

Back