• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

2nd attempt at HC. Advice on water perameters please

FishBeast

G'day guys.

After some colossal problems with my planted tank I am glad to say that it is up and running again.

The last attempt at growing HC I beleive that I failed because of a few reasons:

I planted them in individual stems and maintained alot of water flow so they never got a chance to take hold because of being up rooted all of the time until gradually they all dissapeared.

Also because at the time I was having alot of trouble getting my co2 perameters right which is now at a steady 30 or so ppm.

I also was fertilising by adding my dry salts directly into the water. Now I have measured it and made solutions which I beleive is working well as most of my plants are pearling.

My tank details are as follows:

6x2x1.5 foot which totals about 520 litres I beleive although I class it as 400 with the substrate and rocks and stuff. The 2 feet is the depth of the tank.

2x 156w T5. (6x6500k 2x10,000K) 8 hrs of 156 with 4 hr burst in the other 156 watts in the middle.

I have clay substrate (seachem flourite red) topped with pea gravel and then another inch (at the foreground) of river sand on top of that. In total their is about 2 inches of gravel/sand above the nutrient substrate so I don't think that the HC will make use of the nutrients that the substrate has to offer.

My water perameters are:

A combination of 3200 LTR/H cansiter filter and an 800 LTR/H internal filter to increase water flow. So in total their is a 10X water turnover per hour and they both flow water out in the same direction from the left of the tank. Their is very good water movement in my tank. There are no "dead spots" so to speak. Only slower leaf movement in a few places.

PH of 7.5 at 30ppm CO2.

My water is slightly hard and is as follows:

Temp of 27 degrees celcius
GH of 143.2 dKH 8
KH 89.5 dKH 5

In my 2nd attempt I will be combining both CO2 and excel.

So I beleive that I have everything covered although I would appretiate any advice that you guys have to offer.

Thanks for reading!

you seem to have everything covered, I would say keep the flow up as this is you nutrient (including co2) delivery method... obviously don't let it blast the plants out of the substrate, that would be bad :thumbdown: also I believe that HC likes Nitrate so might be worth adding extra. hard water is not a problem for HC I've got really hard water and my hc is growing great in it with just easy carbo as the carbon source.

good luck :thumbup:

Chris

Back