• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

2x39w T5 over 28usg too much ?

2pods

As I couldn't find a luminaire as small as big as the tank (Clearseal 36x12x15"), I ended up with this:

http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/Details.aspx?ProdId=3088&CatId=1349&ParentId=1349
Is it too much for the tank ?

I would have gone for this, but didn't think the light would be even as the ends wouldn't get as much :
http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/Details.aspx?ProdId=3092&CatId=1349&ParentId=1349
I won't be injecting C02 as the tank is in the kitchen, won't have space for an external filter etc, so it may be two yeast-based bottles. Also I won't be going EI or carpet planting.

If your light is shorter than the tank then you can raise it higher. Think about MH lights. They aren't as big as the tank but when suspended higher the light spreads.

78W over 28USG is a lot of light especially with T5!!! Is it within a hood? Can the 2 tubes be switched on and off independently of each other

Co2 injection and method of dosing is?

AC

See above i.e. Flourish once a week, and probably two yeast-based C02 bottles.
The luminaire looks like a Arcadia, but isn't individually switched (at least there is no on/off switch), it sits about six inches off the tank, and there will be cover glass between light and tank.

So it looks like I've been given the wrong advice then ?

I would say so ;(

Are you not dosing NP? Just Flourish as traces?

Its a huge amount of light for non pressurised!!! 2 yeast bottles may be a little better than nothing but I personally would get the light up 12" or more above the water and be prepared to use 3/4 yeast bottles!!!

You definately need to dose N and P with that light and CO2 needs to be on the ball.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
I would say so ;(

Are you not dosing NP? Just Flourish as traces?

Its a huge amount of light for non pressurised!!! 2 yeast bottles may be a little better than nothing but I personally would get the light up 12" or more above the water and be prepared to use 3/4 yeast bottles!!!

You definately need to dose N and P with that light and CO2 needs to be on the ball.

AC

Well, looks like I'll be selling it then.

I have a Rio 400 with 4x36w T8 and FE C02, but this was to do a kitchen tank.
Oh well, that will teach me not to be so trusting.

Probably for the best if you don't want pressurised.

You could go with a single starter of 39W T5HO and possibly get away with a well monitored double bottle yeast setup.

Even a double T8 would mean 60W at 36" length so it does really push you into the pressurised needed bracket!!!

AC

It'll get heavily planted OK.
I'm just too skint and short of space to get another C02 kit (using the Aquamas one on the Rio 400) just yet.

Back