• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

3 feet tank now planted and scaped! Day 59

I've just relocated to Singapore and my hand was itching to get back into the planted tank business already. This transition has been hectic and so far nothing but trying to settle down into my previous routine seemed to be met with challenges, one after another. anyway, cut the story short, I managed to pay off the bill, get a place to stay and now afford a nice little fish tank for my living room.

After a long wait, my tank finally arrived. The first impression of the seller was good. Jolly looking guy around my age who is keen to share his passion for planted tank with me. The tank was setup in it's rightful place in my living room and everything was checked to make it's in good working order.

The item purchase so far was as follow
1. ADA mimic tank 90x45x45.
2. ADA mimic stand
3. Overtank luminaire 2ft with 150W MH + 2x 24W T5 Solite Type 3 + hanging kit.
4. Stainless Steel pipe bent to mimic ADA style again.
5. Aqua Concept Soil 3 x 9L bag
6. 3L Co2 alloy bottle with Co2 tubing
7. 1/4 HP Hailea Chiller

Firstly the ADA mimic tank stand. Quite a decent quality but could be better. But judging at the price I pay, I really cannot ask for more. Comes with what I called a "anti door slamming device" as I like to call it and also a stainless steel hinge.
IMG_0015.jpg

Then the tank came and sat right on top of it. considering that they were both made by 2 different company, I was very worried that it wouldn't sit right on top of each other with some excess lying around the edge. But this hasn't happened. So everything so good so far.
IMG_0024.jpg

The tank is sitting on an ANS mat but to my dismay, it is not cut to fit the tank stand properly. Luckily it was only the excess that i need to trim off.
IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

After the seller guy left, i take a good chance to inspect the tank. To my dismay, there are other stuff that really has not been done to the standard I was expecting. I went for the tank dimension above at a higher price thinking that it was custom made, the quality should be good but the tank that was made abroad in china was much more delicately done and the finishing touch was immaculate. Unfortunately, they didn't have the dimension that I was looking for...

IMG_0023.jpg

Leftover silicone
IMG_0016.jpg

Glasses not aligned correctly.
IMG_0017.jpg

The full view of the panel that is slanted.

Anyway, no time for disappointment and upset. so I sent the pic to the seller and inform him about this and all he does was reassure me that it will hold the water in it... Well too late to change anything now. I did save quite a bit by not getting a full ADA setup. I guessed I've only got myself to blame.

Anyway, so I went out to collect my ADA Stainless Steel (SS) light stand customised to my requirement. The pipe vendor was very affirmative in his email saying that this will be an easy job so I had my hope high that it will be made perfect to my instruction.

ADAlightstand.jpg

My original thought of what the stand will look like. I even label the measurement for him thinking that having a 3 dimension picture should save me the talking and drawing and the detail information about how the stand should look like. And this is what I got.

IMG_0018.jpg

The end cap at the top
IMG_0021.jpg

The bend at the top
IMG_0019.jpg

The lower end welded
IMG_0022.jpg

Well, I will need more stuff but I will update this post as soon as things progress.

Re: New 3 feet ADA mimic tank setup. (Pic heavy)

Hi Daniel
Glad you settled in okay cant wait for the next installment.
Keep up the good work.
Ive still got those 4 pots of HC i bought from you on the window sill under T5s :lol:
Go well :wave:
hoggie

Mighty jealous you are in singapore. I was there in April earlier checking out Aquarama. Met with some locals on another forum and they showed me around. Made some good connections and a few friends too.

Where abouts in SG are you based? I can tell you some good places :)

I ventured to most of the LFS in my first week here and trust me when I said I did a lot of walking. My friend was shock when he wanted to bring me around in his car and I said I've been to all those places on foot!

Hey Daniel, i'd be a little weary of filling the tank due to the differing pressures you're gonna get in the tank. There going to be more pressure at the bottom than the top and that for me would be quite scary.

and if you turn the tank upside down all the water will fall out

I mentioned that to the seller too. He said it should be ok as they have build curved tank before and it hasn't been a problem. The tank also comes with a 5 year warranty. I'll only fill the water to about 40cm level where the misalignment is at it's worse. The bottom appear to be acceptable.This should be ok I hope. I've contacted the seller and he has offer me an ADA substrate bundle at a discount as a gesture of apology. I've already purchase a 3 bag set of aqua concept soil 9L each but my friend here was very against people using it claiming there is lots of long term problem like soil breaking down and also tanning of the water. I did some search on it and yes there is some anecdotal evidence for it but it appears to be a hit and miss. Quite tempted to go ahead with since I've already got it. Anyway he offered me the below

ADA Power Sand M (2L) x 2

ADA Aquasoil New Amazonia (9L) x 3

Bacter 100 (100g) x 1

Tourmaline BC (100g) x 1

Clear Super (50g) x 1

Penac W (200g) x 1

Penac P (200g) x 1

All for £150. RRP is £190. I''m still trying to fight the urge to get it just because it's ADA. I've never had much faith in any other stuff besides the ADA amazonia and powersand. Any ideas guys?

I'm also thinking of asking the seller to strip the side panel and reposition it if possible rather than just accepting a discount on more goods. Does anybody has any idea about the strength of the tank following replacing of a panel after the tank has been cured? Will the whole tank need to be reassemble in order to maintain it's strength and it's physical appearance?

i think that tank is unfit for use. I mean, who would be happy with that? what you going to do?

Let him redo the side, you might not have any issues with it fully filled with water but it looks ugly like that.
And he should do you also a discount for wasting your time. :lol:

Mike

I would get it changed myself, that is something that when its all planted and finished it would kinda bug me a little...

Hi Daniel
Tell him if he is not going to reposition the panel you want a replacement.
If he stalls tell him you want a 50% refund to accept the aquarium...... as its not fit for the purpose it was purchased for.
hoggie

I've spoken to the seller and he has agreed to redo a new tank as a replacement. I don't think I can asked for much more as he has given me a discount and offered it to deliver to mine for free. The tank was only £150 to start off anyway. Anyway. Will be selling the current stainless steel light stand and get a new one as this current one doesn't fit my specification. Will get a real ADA mimic this time (well finger crossed.)

Just strip that side glass and tell him to fix it I mean this is joke tank seriously and I feel sorry for you but you have been too soft on seller...

my 2 cents... Send the tank back and get it re done.

£150 for ada stuff is not a saving of 40 if you were not already Going to buy It at the full price. You have proven you can grow plants, and do that well, without needing ada. But maybe you are very curious to try it, if so go for it :)

daniel19831123 said:
The tank was only £150 to start off anyway

So what ?...that doesn't mean he can make shoddy goods. If that's the case, give me £100 and i'll just give you 5 sheets of glass, after all it only cost you £100....

I'm not having a dig mate, but you see my point. :angelic:

I feel for you.

that was built by a professional tank builder think he missed placed his glasses

the silicon is very messy looks like a child sealed it also what was he think sending a tank with a messed up side all i can see is a mess id never pay for anything like that you could done better job yourself with no experance in tank building

Id send it back and go else were looking at your photos the bloke has no pride in his work or had his child build your tank

My thoughts on the subject

hey Daniel, i'm in the neighborhood in Malaysia, and i swear they sell those exact same cabinet and tanks here in KL, the cabinets they have available here in the LFS are exactly the same, so im pretty sure they're from the same manufacturer..

i'm also doing the exact same tank dimensions in my journal, but surprisingly the quality of your tank is horrible!! i'm not sure which manufacturer made these tanks here but mine look near identical to the ADA, just take a ADA sticker and i have a clone... for the exact same price at RM 730 on this side of the causeway... i'm pretty sure you got cheated, so its a good thing you're getting a replacement :D

Well I kinda accepted the fact that things in singapore would be more expensive than Malaysia. Sometimes I wished that I had a lorry and can go just across the river to bring things in. The tank stand was ok quality but I can't seemed to find the perfect tank nor stand unless I got for the ADA one. I think considering the heart ache and problem I go through to source the tank maker etc, I'm just going to go with the ADA one next time. There is other very good quality ADA lookalike tank out there that is cheaper but it doesn't come in the dimension I wanted as they are all premake in the factory in china and was shipped here in bulk i.e. the same way the ADA tank is make. I was told by a wholeseller here that apparently the lookalike tank is made by the same factory as those that make ADA just without the ADA label on it.

Back