• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

3 months in - It's a jungle

dougbraz

120 litre tank (60X50X40cm)
Eheim Ecco 2232 canister
ADA Amazon soil / Dragon rock
Purigen/Excel/Flourish in their respective dosages
30litres water change weekly
6 hours lighting per day
25 degrees C
10 rummy nosed Tetras
4 Celebes Rainbowfish (LFS sold them to me as acidic water fish..so far so good)
2 dwarf Gouramis
- removed Angelfish as he wouldn't leave anyone alone.. :(
Lots of plants (just missing some hardy stems for back right to hide the thermometer and water intake)
No CO2, so loooow tech (Valisnerias do not like Excel)
A few days after planting and now - 3 months later - having trimmed cabomba (weekly) and eleocharis. Microsorum Pteropus Windelov is doing so-so - have cut off some leave and the others are slowly blackening. The rest growing all at their respective paces.
Still not crystal clear water (have used Clarity) but very slowly improving at each water change.
What was meant to be carefully laid out and planted tank has so far become a jungle as I try out plants, but overall, I am quite pleased.
Any tips or comments? Would like some more fish, as apparently I cannot put shrimp in with this lot (thought I could), so any suggestion is welcome. I originally wanted 2 discus, and a school of rummy tetras, but am wary that discus will be too fussy and am told that my tank is too small. PLUS they are expensive!

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 570
It’s very interesting to see the growth in a relatively short timescale. I’m new to all this so cannot help with your questions sorry - just nosying at your scape. Thank you for posting

Looking nice, growing in well.

- removed Angelfish as he wouldn't leave anyone alone.. :(
Might be because the tank was too small? I'm guessing.
Any tips or comments? Would like some more fish, as apparently I cannot put shrimp in with this lot (thought I could), so any suggestion is welcome. I originally wanted 2 discus, and a school of rummy tetras, but am wary that discus will be too fussy and am told that my tank is too small. PLUS they are expensive!
Yes, way too small for discus. There are lots of discus threads on here that mention alternatives to discus, along with the minimum tank requirements. Maybe go for some smaller Cichlids etc

apparently I cannot put shrimp in with this lot (thought I could)

You might be ok, was the thought the Rainbow fish/Gouramis might eat them? If they have plenty of hiding spots, which your jungle has, you may be ok. Baby shrimps might be at risk. I'm sure others may be able to advise on shrimp suitability.

Might be because the tank was too small? I'm guessing. -
I had an angelfish for years in a far smaller tank. This one just seems/is more aggressive. Anyway, it's gone to a new home now.
Yes, way too small for discus. There are lots of discus threads on here that mention alternatives to discus, along with the minimum tank requirements. Maybe go for some smaller Cichlids etc
Yes, discus also seem to be off the buy list. Will have a look at alternatives sadly
You might be ok, was the thought the Rainbow fish/Gouramis might eat them? If they have plenty of hiding spots, which your jungle has, you may be ok. Baby shrimps might be at risk. I'm sure others may be able to advise on shrimp suitability.
The rainbow fish are tiny, so don't see a threat there - unless they grow? I bought the dwarf gouramis as I was told they were peaceful. I MAY risk a couple to see, but they are expensive here..

Back