• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

3 Nano 'heterogeneous' Triptych - The end.

Hi Jack,
looking absolutely fantastic, a real landscape especially with the blue/white backgrounds :thumbup:
my personal preference for fish would be the boraras brigittae, simply due to size. To keep the scale I'd go for the nano fish as black widows get a few inches long and are deep bodied too so look huge when matured!
great triptych set up mate.
cheerio,
Ady.
Sorry for the late reply ady, the blue and white background is actually just frosted white film I get for my custom builds, the blue ish lighting comes from the light unit you see :) I know people are not to keen on blue lights but I really do like it next to a nice bright white tube, so it works well. I can completely control my lighting so can switch different tubes on at different times :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Just to clarify, CPDs are not of the same ilk as sparkling gouramis who will destroy your shrimp colony. I am keeping them with sakuras now in a bigger tank. They're just more effective at keeping the population in check than the chilis. Don't think they'd go for an adult. I also found them very skittish in my P@H cube but they seem much more extrovert in my 125 litre.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I think you are right about them needing more space. I wouldn't want such a small colony so I think I'll wait to use them in mynext project ! :)

ok thought I would just share the left hand side tank... Im loving the growth of the pogostemon helferi and its looking so bushy and lush. I knew this was going to be a winner plant when I planted it although I suffered a little melt to begin with.. (can someone identify what sort of echinodorus is in the far right at the back please)
8380680612_c0b7510db1.jpg
DSC_0024 (2)Jack Dicker

Here is another photo of my HC 'cuba' pearling in its glory :) (sorry about the photo.. it really is hard taking a photo of a fish tank lol.
8379598859_4e8b25bd39.jpg
DSC_0023 (2)Jack Dicker

Thanks,
Jack

What a superb shot! It feels like oil palm trees next to a grassland, which is pretty common where I'm from.
Sounds like you come from a place far superior of plymouth in the UK :lol:

What a superb shot! It feels like oil palm trees next to a grassland, which is pretty common where I'm from.
Agreed, coming along nicely indeed :) congrats

have you put fish in yet?
No, not as such, I mean I have used some guppy fry and a couple of odd fish that I put in to start the cycle, but not actually got fish yet... Im getting my eheims this week so want t ofocus on setting them up first then looking into getting the chilli rasboras..

whats ferts are you using?
I dose rarely if im honest, I went through a stage of overdosing NPK and liquid carbon to get the plants grown in, now I hold off and do NPK dosing 6ml a week with excel 6ml a week. (on different days). My NPK mix is called macro lush mix, its from eBay, you buy powder form and make up into liquid. you get about 1ltr out of it which lasts me ages. and its only £6.00. I also dose carbonate water but this is also rare. I only try to dose when I see deficiencies, I know people think it is fluctuating levels but it seems to be going ok for me so far..

brilliant, you should be proud of your achievements with these
Thanks a lot dean, very kind of you :)

Good job for getting your HC to pearl with using fizzy water and LC must be something in the stuff was thinking of giving it a try in a 20L nano new set up?Could you give me your view on how i should do it?cheers mark ps sorry for the bad manners asking a Q on your journal page!

Good job for getting your HC to pearl with using fizzy water and LC must be something in the stuff was thinking of giving it a try in a 20L nano new set up?Could you give me your view on how i should do it?cheers mark ps sorry for the bad manners asking a Q on your journal page!

No worries mate, if im honest Im not no 100% sure why I have have great success with my cuba or my pogostemon helferi for that mater.. The carbonated water has definitely played a part in that, I can see clearly the improvements from when I wasn't using it.. But then how do I know that it wasn't just a case of my tank not being cycled enough.. I guess I dont. This is why its so important that when giving advice people take into consideration the fact that EVERY tank is different.. If you have shrimp forget the LC on such a small tank, you will wipe out your colony like i did :( as for carbonated water, I recommend this with small tanks but not big, I dont think it would have any effect on a big tank because it would fluctuate to much between dosages.. but yours sounds ideal ;) I can give you my Maintenance plan and you can check it out but it is for my tank specifications, my methods that I have tried and failed and finally found one that works :) This is my demanding week (so if I see a deficiency this is what I usually do) otherwise I leave it. What I try to keep up with is the carbonated water so its consistant... but my memory is pretty bad. Lets assume I have a good memory :lol:

Monday- 2ml LC (flourish excel is what I use), 6ml of carbonated water (used by syringe so I can force it out to create bubbles, not just pour it in)
Tuesday- 6ml NPK (lacro lush mix) 6ml of carbonated water (used by syringe so I can force it out to create bubbles, not just pour it in)
Wednesday- 35% water change, 6ml of carbonated water (used by syringe so I can force it out to create bubbles, not just pour it in)
Thursday-2ml LC (flourish excel is what I use), 6ml of carbonated water (used by syringe so I can force it out to create bubbles, not just pour it in)
Friday-6ml NPK (lacro lush mix) 6ml of carbonated water (used by syringe so I can force it out to create bubbles, not just pour it in)
Saturday-60% water change, 6ml of carbonated water (used by syringe so I can force it out to create bubbles, not just pour it in)
Sunday- Nothing, 6ml of carbonated water (used by syringe so I can force it out to create bubbles, not just pour it in)

(I do have other bottles of fertz like Phosphorous, iron etc but there is no regime for these, its more of a case of if I see something it needs I add) This is rare, although do try to do all bottles once a month or so.. (whether this helps who knows.. it should do). Im not a scientist!

I would advise if you take on the carbonated water method stick to it. dont do it two days and then forget to do it another.. although I have done this just not on a frequent basis.

JAck :)

Thanks a lot Jack for the infomation very kind mate keep up the good work on your tanks,any rough idea when you are going to add livestock?cheers mark

Tanks are looking good mate you gonna stick a full tank shot up of the three of them soon mate
Sure will Mate, I'm trying to hold off on the photos till my glassware is all in, then I'll get some up :)

Reactions: tim
Back