• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

3 year wait. 60p aquascape - Planted

Well, to say it's been a while is an understatement. I last had a scape about three years ago which I had to close down in its early stages to prepare to move house due to unforeseen circumstances. Well, to say I was gutted would be an understatement after investing some cold hard cash.

I would have loved to get right back into it, but after purchasing a house and spending money on getting that right I just didn't have spare cash until recently.

Roll on 3 years and I'm glad to say I'm back in business to some degree or other. So about 4 weeks ago I made the shlep from Manchester to sunny Wrexham to see the guys at TGM to pick up my blank canvas. Having saved bits here and there and a good end of year bonus, thanks work, I picked up what I have always wanted, an ADA setup.

Not having loads of spare room in the living room I went for an ADA 60p aquarium and stand. I decided to take advantage of the generous TGM 20% discount and went the whole hog and purchased a ADA ES series filter, which comes with appropriately sized lily pipes and gubbins. After conversing with the very helpful team at TGM I matched the purchase with an ADA Aquasky Moon light system which is apparently just as bright as the 602 system, but cheaper, go figure. I think ADA have missed out there. Now the budget was running dry and I still needed Co2 bits and bobs after selling all my old gear off and of course a bit of hardscape, so I purchased a TGM Co2 kit which comes with yet more ADA gubbins, tubing, a 5lbs Co2 bottle and aquamedic valve, around 6kg of Koke stone, some woody bits and ADA substrate including Power Sand and Aquasoil, oh and some Congo sand.

After getting all the gear home I quickly set about cracking on with making some dinner and sitting on the sofa. Well, Rome wasn't built in a day and tomorrow was Saturday. What's another day right.

No comments about the fireplace or radiator. It's since been moved Or the crappy pictures

IMG_0394.JPG

So, Saturday morning came, I cracked out the Bacon and a cuppa and sat in front of my tank eating and drinking staring into the abyss. What was I going to do? Attempt a U shape, a triangle. I thought, we can figure this out, so I cracked out the cardboard and in true kiddie fashion, started to play with my building blocks, stacking up and knocking down what I had just built. 2 hours passed with a Saturday kitchen on the telly and I was there, triangular it is. Hardscape ready I jumped in the car and made my way to Maplins. Wel, I needed a step down converter for the ADA Aquasky and it gave me a chance to think about what I had just created.

Back from Maplin, happy with the hardscape I set about laying the substrate foundations, hoping my blockwork would translate.

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

I started to fill the aquarium, so that I could set about cycling the new filter and substrate, but I had an issue with the wobbly floorsso the aquarium was filling to one side. The ADA stands don't come with adjustable feet unfortunately. Off to B&Q I popped to pick up some stainless steel washers. I used these on each corner of the stand stacked up until the aquarium was level. Genius and doesn't detract from the aesthetics.

Next job was to sort out some heat, so I popped to my LFS and purchased a Hydor in line heater as not to ruin the clean lines of the ADA 60p and glassware.

And so, is been about four weeks since I got setup and the filter and substrate have been cycling nicely. I've been changing the water every few days to remove ammonia and now the spike is done I've ordered plants ready for the planting stage. Here is what I have ordered.

Staurogyne repens × 7
Hydrocotyle tripartita × 2
Ludwigia repens 'Rubin' × 2
Rotala rotundifolia × 2
Taxiphyllum sp. 'Spiky' moss × 1
Bacopa caroliniana × 3
Hygrophila pinnatifida × 3
Lindernia rotundifolia × 3
Bacopa australis × 2
Eleocharis sp. 'mini' Tropica 1-2-Grow × 4

Hopefully with the large number of plants that are going in the scape will have a nice healthy start. Staurogyne Repens have always been my nemesis, but I truly believe that this has been ammonia issues in the past due to planting quickly after setup, so fingers crossed that slow and steady will win the race.

I'll get on with the planting and post up some pictures once that is completed.

IMG_0401.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 212
Looks absolutely Schmick! Keen to see how the light performs...can it be dimmed?

No, it's got two settings. On or off :( but ADA and TGM seem to get good results from them, so fingers crossed no issues.
No probs. Just make sure that CO2 is pumping hard.

The key with CO2 is that initially, don't have any livestock. Then you can adjust to your heart's content.

You will be fine.

Quick update. I received my DICI skimmer today. It's very similar to the ADA Vuppa. It came with a USB UK plug and appears to be well put together, with a bit of foam to filter out debris. Unlike the Vuppa it doesn't come with the perforated disks.

Flow looks good and it's doing a good job of clearing up the protein film. Not too bad for £60 :thumbup:

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

I'll get some pictures in situ once planting is completed later today.

Well, it's been a week and I've not killed anything yet :) I've been running with the lights on 8 hours a day, Co2 on 2 hours before and off one hour before lights out. Drop checker has been going from darkish green to lime green about 2 hours before the Co2 shuts off.

I've been dosing 1ml off ADA Step 1 and ADA Special lights on alternate days. 4 drops of ADA Green Bacter a day as instructed on the bottle. It smells like Bacon which is always good!!

On the second day I did a 70% water change to get rid of anything I may have shook out of the soil during planting and I'm due a water change tomorrow.

Some algae came with a small number of the plants I got, so I've got 2 Otto and 2 Japonica as a mini clean up crew which are doing a grand job. 2 pest snails this week, removed. Not seen any more.

I've had really good growth on the plants as you can see. So good that I decided to trim the plants which had the worst of the algae as they had fresh growth below.

Staurogyne Repens which I normally kill are going gangbusters, which I'm chuffed about and the Eleocharis SP mini is also putting down good runners, which must mean the Aquasky Moon is doing good on lighting.

The DICI (Vuppa style) skimmer is doing a grand job with no protein film to speak of. £60 well spent.

Here is a quick snap. Sorry it's not great, but All my pics are taken on my iPad.

IMG_0438.JPG

The end of week 2 and I've just done a major clean and trimmed stem plants.

The plants have been growing well with the majority of stems near the surface. I've added a bit of Riccia that I got when I bought some shrimp.

I'm still contemplating how to trim the Eleocharis without getting grass trimmings everywhere, but it's growing in well, so might leave it. Staurogyne Repens still going great guns and I've decided not to trim these as they are bushing out fine on their own.

I've had a little hair algae, so I knocked up the Co2 a little. (The drop checker is blue because I've just replaced the liquid)

I bought 20 cherry shrimp from a local guy for £10. Can't complain about that. Tank bred and used to being dosed Co2, plus a similar TDS. Had to be done.

After lots of reading and contemplating, I've decided to buy a twin star. It's been in a couple of days now, so I'll see how it gets on.

IMG_0460.JPG

Back