• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

30 cm nature aquarium

JEK

Well, I decided to start a new journal since I'm making a whole new layout in this tank.

For hardscape I'm using dragon stone and plants will be glossostigma, Bacopa, H. micranthemoides, R. wallicii, Taiwan moss and maybe Anubias var."petite".

I have two main ideas for hardscape and placement of the plants

Number 1:
Concave layout with stemmed plants in each side, glossostigma in front and moss in the middleground.

PICT0005.JPG

Number 2:
I came up with this one after looking in an issue of Aquajournal I got today. This will be a triangular 'scape with most of the stems in the right side. This one will leave more place for the plants, compared to nr 1.

PICT0007-1.JPG

Suggestions and comments are very welcome!

Either one looks really nice to me. From recent experience, I would try and keep the rocks slightly further from the glass for cleaning reasons! Mine drove me mad and I was always knocking the rocks that were up close to the glass.

I think personally I'd go for the second one, especially with your plant ideas. I'd lose the Anubias myself, but that's just me. If I was going to do the first one, I would use Glosso only, maybe with either hairgrass or tenellus in the background.

What's the substrate? Looking forward to seeing this planted :D

Second layout for me also! You could always use anubias petite (not bonsai), they are tiny ;)
Looking forward to this one planted, I just ordered some glosso for my tank too!

Thanks for your comments, both of you .:) You're right about the cleaning, Tom. I'll try and move the ones that are too close to the glass. I think I'll go with nr. 2, but not 100% sure yet.:)

The subtrate is Seachem Flourite black.

2nd layout is tons better mate,

Good plant choice, glosso needs to make a comeback, HC has the got the carpet scene in a headlock haha.

2nd layout for me too.

side note, what is the tank?

nayr88 - i still love the HC. just for the scale.

The tank is 30x30x30 cm. Horrible size to make good scapes in, IMO. But it's the only tank i got.
I have decided that it will be the 2nd layout. :)

Well, the plants should be shipped from Germany tomorrow and the shipping usually takes 3-4 days... So hopefully, it's planted friday or saturday.:)
I've also thought of buying one of those small DoAqua cubes and make a wabi-kusa.
Plans only sounds also interesting. There are some nice examples of that in the new ADA catalog.

the Doaqua cubes look very smart, but I wouldn't fill one completely as it has a side note on there website that said something about the glass being different thickness, I can't remember word for word, so I could imagine it being like a vase and distorting and the plants looking stretched and bent when filled

Definitely a very nice looking wabi 'vase' though,

Where are you ordering your plants from? Also is that a dennerle filter?

Cheers

I'm ordering from http://www.wasserpflanzen-freunde.de/catalog/
The filter is an Eden 501.
You might be right about the glass of the doaqua plant glass... But in the ada catalog they're suggesting that you can keep killis if you fill them up, so I don't think the distortion can be so bad.

Tom said:
I'll let you know about the Do!aquas tomorrow when mine comes!
I'm looking forward to that, mate.:)

Cheers Tom, look forward to it I do hope it is clear.

What will you be lighting it with. Filtering it with?

Very bad picture, but this is what it looks like now. H. micranthemoides is very low so it's not really visible on the pic.

EDIT; Decided to remove the picture again. The quality was just too bad.

A small update. Everything has started pearling now, I'm really happy that I bought the CO2 kit, I think it will turn out better this time.
Most of the hemianthus are only about 3 cm so they almost look like HC. Only plant that not doing so well is R. wallichii, I hope it will recover.
I'll post some pictures when it starts to look good.:)

Back