• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

30" Deep Tank Lighting Advice needed

Nor do I

I have tried everything from a full floss filter to 3 different micron filter socks on the sump 90% water change vacuum 2 x per week which is not easy on the tank

I am at a loss now on what to try next

Hi,
You need to stop worrying about cloudy water. This might continue for months. Those leaves that are disintegrating? The same reason they are disintegrating is causing the cloudiness. Fix your falling leaves and the tank will come around. One thing at a time.

Cheers,

I forgot to ask if I did get some liquid carbon at what do I dose at as I am using injection too so would I go with 1ml per 50ltr per day every day as per the instructions or would it be 1ml every 100ltrs every day or like 1ml per 50ltrs every 3 days ? I ask as with the tank my size I would go though a 500ml bottle in no time at all using the 1ml per 50ltr per day.

Hi,
Thanks for the images. You know, many people would kill to have a tank looking as nice as that. :wideyed:

I'm not able to see exactly which plants have leaves that are falling off from that angle of view, but in any case, there does not seem to be any of the Excel-finicky species, so you can dose per bottle instruction on a daily basis. Dose it in the morning. Wait a couple of weeks to make sure there are no toxic issues to fish or plants then increase the dosage by say, 50% and see how that goes.

The tank is a very large volume and there is a large biomass producing organic waste. A combination of liquid carbon, perhaps a slight injection rate increase, plus continued water changes, while keeping the lighting subdued for the moment will improve the health and clarity. You can also try Purigen to see if that helps. You'd need a lot though for that size.

The only other thing that might be causing the cloudiness is if the chelation in your trace element mix is failing due to water hardness. Do you notice whether the cloudiness increases after dosing?

Cheers,

I have looked into purigen and I worked it out I would need 2ltr of the stuff something for the shopping list at the end of the month.

The cloudiness is there all the time no difference at all when I dose

I do have 2kg of crushed coral in my tank though as I had a low KH could this be the cause or related ?

Hi Craig,
Well, I'm not really sure about whether it can be blamed for the cloudiness. I've read where some people who were using it experienced cloudiness, but it is unclear whether the two events were coincidental. Conclusions are often irrational and since I've never used it I can't really say.

One thing's for sure, you don't really need it so if it's in a bag, and is easy to handle, then definitely take it out to see if that helps. If it's under the gravel though then forget about it and just worry about one problem at a time. I would much rather you concentrate on getting your plants to regain their leaves. That objective is 1000X more important that cloudiness, and probably, by the time you sort that problem out, I'll bet the cloudiness will have cleared a little. You cannot rush a tank that size.

Cheers,

The coral is in bags in the sump so very easy to remove.

Today I did some heavy pruning and got rid of every leaf that was not 100% the only ones I left was the anubis as that has a little algae/diatoms on the edges of the leaves is there any way to get rid of this with out cutting away the leaves?

Tomorrow I am going to give the sump a clean take everything out and wash it in tank water and add a new filter sock I got which is a felt sock and is 25 micron I brought 3 of them as I know they will clog quick and I expect to change them every 1-2 days.

DIatoms can just be scraped off but they usually return unless the root cause is fixed, which is generally too much light. Definitely clean/scrub them because that helps the leaf to breathe and feed more easily. If it cannot be scraped off then that means it's probably a kind of GSA.

Cleaning is always a good idea. Always....Use whatever micron size you want and change as often as you please. I will only be satisfied when you report new leaf growth as a direct result of CO2 injection increase, Excel addition, extra cleaning, water changes and lowered light intensity.

Cheers,

Back