• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

30 litre/6 gallon could I get a pair of dwarf cichlids?

gregalon

Hello I will soon have an empty 6 gallon and was wondering if I could put a pair of dwarf cichlids (bolivian, german, orange fin etc) in a 30 litre planted tank?

+is it true that they kill corydoras?

regards,
greg

Hi all,
Hello I will soon have an empty 6 gallon and was wondering if I could put a pair of dwarf cichlids (bolivian, german, orange fin etc) in a 30 litre planted tank?
No, it is really too small. Apistogramma borelli would be a possibility, but they aren't easy to source.
Yes, but not apparently Corydoras pygmaeus.

How about a dwarf Dario sp? Dario dario? if you could find a pair they would be ideal, and they are very Cichlid like in behaviour. Another possibilities for an "interesting" fish would be the Dwarf Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila).

cheers Darrel

+1 to the sparkling gouramis! I had some a while back and they are fantastic little fish.

04_54L_gourami_03.jpg

Hi thanks I just wanted to check, so not even 1 because there are some videos with people keeping 1 blue ram and another one which has to apistos cacotoudes pair.

BTW the bowl video was submitted by the guy in the 2010 nano tank contest.
AND

I like sparkling gouramis but I'd like something slightly strange, could I get one chocolate gourami or something which would be happy by itself with some dither fish (green neons, ember tetra or whatever)?
thanks for your advice,
greg

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
No, it is really too small. Apistogramma borelli would be a possibility, but they aren't easy to source.
Yes, but not apparently Corydoras pygmaeus.

How about a dwarf Dario sp? Dario dario? if you could find a pair they would be ideal, and they are very Cichlid like in behaviour. Another possibilities for an "interesting" fish would be the Dwarf Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumila).

cheers Darrel

Just checked on the dario dario and they are truly stunning! something like them would be absoluetly brilliant (i.e you don't need a big shoal and they would be happy in smaller aquaria. Unfortunately I have read that they are quite difficult to feed flakes and the like to so I would like something that could eat dried foods with no problem. they are stunning though!

Tbh if your looking for something that is happy long term with just dry foods I'd steer clear of apisto's mate mine take them but only a few and let the rest fall to the floor.

That last video what size is the tank, the apisto's look happy in there and the female especially very very yellow.

its a 30 litre nano cube, what I have. Are there any other strange fish that I could keep in a 30 litre?

Dwarf puffers, badis, gobies, killifish.
Your choices aren't that limited. It's also worth noting that cichlids aren't exactly strange!

Gareth has given some good choices there.
Definite no on the chocolate gourami, they need to be in a group, and a bigger tank too.

Hi all,
I've never kept them, but Dwarf Puffers would be a possibility, particularly if you have a source of snails for them. I've kept some Killis, and they are great fish, but you would need live food. Have a look here <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12637>.

I was lucky enough to get a vestigial winged Fruit fly culture from Chris1004 (thanks Chris, still doing well and I've already given away several cultures. I've settled on a compromise for feeding them, 80:20 Weetabix:banana, and a re-culture about every 6 weeks) and these are great for keeping Killis.

Water stability is a real issue in small tanks, other than that a single Ram would be a possibility, but I like to keep fish that I hope I can breed.

I know people do feed their fish an entirely flake diet successfully, but I'd definitely invest in a Grindal Worm culture, very easy to keep going and a varied diet is much more likely to keep your fish healthy. <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11368>

If you want Grindal worms or Fruit flies PM me. I don't want any money, but if you could donate to UKAPS that would be great.

cheers Darrel

good advice on the puffers they are good if you can spare a small tankor bucket to culture some snails, but get them going before you get the puffers as mine tucked away quite a few per sitting. Luckily my large externall on my dempsey tank was breeeeaming with snails for them.

Darrel ill donate for a starter culture :)

Pm me if you have enough to send, thanks

Hi I'm very tempted but because I'm away often and my parents will be caring for it I doubt they would be willing to waste more space for worms :)

I will think about just adding one cichlid but most likely not due to all your informative comments (I could get a larger tank! anyway I'll have to think about it but its ok cus I've got GCSE's soon so I have time to ponder whilst revising ;)
thanks for all the help.
greg

+1 for dwarf puffers - love 'em!
Or there are lovely microrasbora/boraras species out there (i'm a big fan of Chilli Rasboras) and you could fit a great small shoal (prob about 10 depending on how heavy the planting is) in your tank. Or you could go shrimpy - cheap, breed easily and add loads of interst to your tank, plus they have a very low bioload!
Cheers,
Matt

Back